Steven Thompson -Last game - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Thompson -Last game

Obviously not a Saints fan, but I see that Steven Thompson ends his career on Sunday and thought that was deserving of a wee thread,

He's done well for himself.....United, trophies at Rangers, Scotland caps, English Premiership, then back to play for his home town club and win a trophy. Doesn't get much better than that.

Maybe not the most gifted player we've ever seen in Scotland but he's a good example of a guy that has made the very best of the talent he has. Take a look, Goodwillie, Riordan, O'Connor etc.

He;s articulate, so I'm sure a career in the media lies ahead. Good luck to him :ok:

Edited by Rossy

22 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Obviously not a Saints fan, but I see that Steven Thompson ends his career on Sunday and thought that was deserving of a wee thread,

He's done well for himself.....United, trophies at Rangers, Scotland caps, English Premiership, then back to play for his home town club and win a trophy. Doesn't get much better than that.

Maybe not the most gifted player we've ever seen in Scotland but he's a good example of a guy that has made the very best of the talent he has. Take a look, Goodwillie, Riordan, O'Connor etc.

He;s articulate, so I'm sure a career in the media lies ahead. Good luck to him :ok:

i take it we're just ignoring the fact he nearly ended another professionals career?

i doubt many would get away with spearing a co-worker with a pole in their place of work

Edited by dan cake

10 minutes ago, dan cake said:

i take it we're just ignoring the fact he nearly ended another professionals career?

i doubt many would get away with spearing a co-worker with a pole in their place of work

You would if you were a Roman gladiator. 

48 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Good post.

Great attitude and as you say has done very well for himself on, limited ability.  Every support that he has played for knows he wasnt great buy I would wager he was/is well liked by the majority of punters. 

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

Thought you'd be happy about it as it contributed to him ending up at Hibs. 

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Agree with that.

We actually met him last week outside the Stadium of Light where he was happy to pose for photos with our boys club. 

18 minutes ago, joecraigfanclub said:

If he is an example of a good pro god knows what a bad one looks like. 

A bad one looks like Riordan, O'Connor, Goodwillie, or another thousand wasters that never made the best of the ability they had. 

I'm really not sure how anyone could describe Thompson as anything other than a good pro. 

47 minutes ago, Rossy said:

A bad one looks like Riordan, O'Connor, Goodwillie, or another thousand wasters that never made the best of the ability they had. 

I'm really not sure how anyone could describe Thompson as anything other than a good pro. 

Agree with you Rossy. Never been the most talented but has worked hard on the attributes he does have. Always gave his all at Rangers and was a very decent guy both times I've met him.

5 hours ago, dandydunn said:

You would if you were a Roman gladiator. 

Or a Zulu warrior. Can't believe some people on here have a bee in their bonnet as he made one act of misconduct in his career. I imagine these people are immaculately perfect and have never made a mistake/act of stupidity in their working life? :rolleyes:

Edited by PaulS2014

5 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Good post.

Great attitude and as you say has done very well for himself on, limited ability.  Every support that he has played for knows he wasnt great buy I would wager he was/is well liked by the majority of punters. 

He was quite widely disliked at United actually.   Absolutely rubbish when he was coming through, one good half season then fcked off to Rangers on a Bosman with  attendant disparaging remarks reported as he left.

I'll say my opinion of him has changed a bit, he seems a good guy and not as daft as I once thought, but he was never popular at Tannadice. 

Equally, I met Murdo McLeod last weekend at a kids football tournament in Oban and he was the consummate pro.  I didn't mention Jason Scotland or anything, and he was brilliant with the boys.  

Do you know what?  Maybe, just maybe, most football professionals are just like the rest of us? Fairly nice, doing their best for their employers,  sometimes do things wrong , sometimes do things right, just trying to get along.

Except Gavin Gunning....

Aye, i have a lot of respect for him. Might have a career as a singer song writer. No bad on the guitar as is Christian Dailly. Maybe they should team up together.

Apart from his League Cup Final win, probably his most memorable game will be when he almost single handedly rescued the Rangers in that cup semifinal against Motherwell  when they eventually won it 4-3.

7 hours ago, PaulS2014 said:

Or a Zulu warrior. Can't believe some people on here have a bee in their bonnet as he made one act of misconduct in his career. I imagine these people are immaculately perfect and have never made a mistake/act of stupidity in their working life? :rolleyes:

are you his lawyer?

8 hours ago, adamntg said:

He was quite widely disliked at United actually.   Absolutely rubbish when he was coming through, one good half season then fcked off to Rangers on a Bosman with  attendant disparaging remarks reported as he left.

I'll say my opinion of him has changed a bit, he seems a good guy and not as daft as I once thought, but he was never popular at Tannadice. 

Fair enough mate, tbh I can remember little of the circumstances of him signing for us, other than he was very articulate and said the right things. Came across as likeable from the start. 

Agree with your other post, Murdo McLeod is a gentleman. Most are just living out something many of us dreamed of doing. Thats probably why they get a harder time from us all, and why the bellends stand out more. 

11 hours ago, joecraigfanclub said:

. His career should have been ended at the end of last season if St Mirren had anything about them.

I reckon he thought he'd find the Championship easier than he did.

Seems like a decent bloke and I was pleased for him winning a trophy with the club he loves towards his career end, in the process scoring some "cathartic" goals...