Steven Thompson -Last game - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Thompson -Last game

Always liked big Thommo when he was at Rangers and thought he got a bit of a raw deal from some of our fans which tended to happen with the Scottish lads back then.  His performance in the 6-1 v Dunfermline on the last day of the season when we pipped Celtic on goal difference sticks out. He was practically playing left wing and was unplayable and scored a decisive goal as well.

I remember when St Mirren won the league cup he took the trophy on a tour of the boozers in the town which was a nice touch.  I'm sure he'll do well in whatever he turns his hand to next.

1 hour ago, joecraigfanclub said:

Possibly the person who received a training pole stuck in his thigh courtesy of Thomson's party piece at training?

And you know that he meant this? Or do daft accidents make you a scumbag too?

2 hours ago, joecraigfanclub said:

Sorry but throwing an object in the direction of someone tends to show intent in my book not really "a daft accident".

The fact that it was a sharpened object makes it even crazier. A complete fanny.

Sorry. I didn't realise that you were there. 

10 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

a scumbag for other reasons or solely for voting no? if the latter, there are 2m other scumbags out there - you must be permanently angry.....

....and mindnumbingly tedious.

Every single thread.

10 hours ago, joecraigfanclub said:

Sorry but throwing an object in the direction of someone tends to show intent in my book not really "a daft accident".

The fact that it was a sharpened object makes it even crazier. A complete fanny.

you called it. he was trying to impale McGinn - it was his intention all that morning at training. if that hadn't worked he had a sword as back-up in his training bag.

5 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

you called it. he was trying to impale McGinn - it was his intention all that morning at training. if that hadn't worked he had a sword as back-up in his training bag.

Don't forget the hammer!  Apparently he borrowed it from the Jim McLean collection at Tannadice. 

On 4/30/2016 at 1:49 PM, joecraigfanclub said:

Possibly the person who received a training pole stuck in his thigh courtesy of Thomson's party piece at training?

Oh dear... It would seem that your somewhat ridiculous overreaction here is not quite matched by the actual injured party from the incident to which you refer....

IMG_4371_1.jpg

Back to more sensible comments -

Thompson has been absolutely wonderful for St.Mirren. When he was moving back from Burnley he could have commanded more money elsewhere in Scotland but chose to have his swansong at his local team. It probably turned out better than anyone could ever have hoped for or imagined. He scored 16 goals for the club in each of his first 3 seasons which for a St.Mirren striker in the bottom half of the SPL was a great return. Winning the league cup in 2013 makes legends of players at a provincial club like St.Mirren, Thommo's goals in the semi-final versus Celtic and final against Hearts will always be remembered and created history of which the fans will always cherish.

He's been an absolute gentleman to have around the club and has really been a great ambassador for St.Mirren with his media profile has supporting that. A personality like Thompson does wonders for a club - idolised by the youngsters and epitomising everything that older supporters love to see - a fan becoming a player for his local team and playing with passion, commitment and desire. Always has time for a chat, autograph or photos with fans and has many friendships throughout the support. Plenty players and managers alike have endorsed his character and personality as a benefit to the dressing room and St.Mirren don't get many players with 16 Scotland caps - he's undoubtedly been an inspiration and mentor to the youth players around the club over the last 5 years - John McGinn funnily enough would be one of the first to confirm that. 

I think you'll struggle to find many with a bad word to say about him but we appear to have found a few on this thread! :huh:

17 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Saw they brought Thomson and Jim Goodwin on for the last 15 minutes.

Wouldve been fitting if he got a goal.

At least Jim Goodwin signed off with a yellow card!

:lol:

I wonder what the price on that was :lol: