Another chopper down - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Another chopper down

Heard about this a bit earlier. 

Off of the coast of Norway,apparently an eye witness said that the rotor simply fell off in mid air. 

11 dead,remaining 3 lost and presumed dead. 

Another tragic day for the offshore industry. 

48 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Heard about this a bit earlier. 

Off of the coast of Norway,apparently an eye witness said that the rotor simply fell off in mid air. 

11 dead,remaining 3 lost and presumed dead. 

Another tragic day for the offshore industry. 

Same type of chopper that has gone down in UK previously. Statoil (whos platform it was returning from) and BP have both grounded all of these types from flying to their platforms.

Same type that I fly in so waiting to see what our operator (Danish sector) does!

225 again.

Many guys offshore, myself included, don't like flying in these things even though the pilots say they are better to fly.

Much prefer the S92, slower, but have more room inside.

My thoughts go out to all those involved.

47 minutes ago, antidote said:

225 again.

Many guys offshore, myself included, don't like flying in these things even though the pilots say they are better to fly.

Much prefer the S92, slower, but have more room inside.

My thoughts go out to all those involved.

We sometimes get the AW139, though it's mainly used for shuttling between platforms. It can only carry 12 pax at a time but quite nice to fly in.

Tragic that this has happened again, those Pumas are death traps & should be scrapped now. 

Remember landing in one of those things in Esbjerg a few years ago, thought it was raining outside only to find the window was covered in Hydraulic Oil leaking from God knows where,  far preferred the old Sikorsky 61. Boat transfers where I'm at now, a lot safer.

RIP lads.

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

U used to like watching the Chinooks flying over - but think they had a bad reputation as well ?

Pretty sure they were all removed after a crash up by Shetland? I've heard many stories from back in the day about the drinks trolley being available on the way home as they had a hostess in the back.

There's a pretty horrific video doing the rounds of the rotor floating down completely detached. And an even worse one of the remains of the helicopter being pulled out the sea, there's very little left of it - my Norwegian isn't great but it said that the impact was at 300km/hr.

Grim reading.