Khan V Alvarez - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Khan V Alvarez

Johnny McRotten

I know Khan isn't popular on here and a lot of people think he's being suicidal in taking this fight, but I think he has a reasonable outsider's chance of winning it. Alvarez has a slightly inflated record - he got a debatable decision against Trout and a highly-controversial one against Erislandy Lara. He's tough and strong but isn't the kind of one-punch power fighter that Khan is vulnerable to.

And if he doesn't knock Khan out he might have trouble outpointing him. Khan is much much faster and if he can concentrate and produce the same kind of performance he did against Devon Alexander (a similar style of boxer to Alvarez, though smaller and not as good) then he's decent value at 4/1 or so.

Nah Khan gets KTFO in this one. He'll move, hold and try to get through it to the cards but can see him getting taken out between 9-12. Canelo's style seems to impress the judges as you mention his decisions against Trout and Lara. You can also include the width of the scores they gave him against Cotto and the fact that one judge gave him a draw when he fought Mayweather to back up the argument that the judges seem to be seduced by his do less but perhaps land a couple of power shots per round style of boxing. If it gets to the cards can only see it being a UD for Canelo.

You're right - judges do seem to love giving rounds to Alvarez, but I'm still influenced by that Khan performance against Alexander; he was unplayable that night against a one-paced opponent. In a way, Canelo is made for him...

If he doesn't win this it won't hurt his reputation, so he can still count on a big payday against Brook, but if he does win it he's suddenly a pound-for-pound superstar. Admittedly, there's an excellent chance these dreams won't survive the first big punch he takes next week.

Khan is a great boxer. He probably had the best style for taking out Mayweather although he would have probably lost anyway.

The judge who gave the draw would have done so to make it a majority decision thereby giving the house all the Mayweather UD money (which was most of it). But i like a conspiracy :)

Aye Khan has a chance here, fire off 3 then move, reset do the same. build up a lead and then try and walk him onto something. Size and Khans lack of durability will mostly tell later on though.

19 hours ago, phart said:

Khan is a great boxer. He probably had the best style for taking out Mayweather although he would have probably lost anyway.

The judge who gave the draw would have done so to make it a majority decision thereby giving the house all the Mayweather UD money (which was most of it). But i like a conspiracy :)

Aye Khan has a chance here, fire off 3 then move, reset do the same. build up a lead and then try and walk him onto something. Size and Khans lack of durability will mostly tell later on though.

walk him onto what exactly? another feather fisted 3 and move :lol: Khan went life and death with Algieri in his last fight ffs (and you saw how a decent welter Spence demolished Algieri) he's not hurting Canelo with anything. This is a cashout fight for Khan. Fair enough, he'll get KO'd make a pile of money then disappear from the sport for good

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

how a decent welter Spence demolished Algieri

Spence might be more than a decent welterweight. In fact, with him and Thurman and Terence Crawford possibly moving up, welter might be the best division in boxing (Crawford looked just smoothly competent when he beat Burns in Glasgow, but he looks almost unhittable in his last couple of fights, like a miniature Roy Jones Jr). You're right, though; Khan wasn't good against Algieri. My opinion that he might have a decent chance next week is based on the fact that I think Alvarez isn't great and that Khan can sometimes be very good indeed; it's just hard to predict when.

To read some forecasts, you'd think Canelo was some kind of super-fighter rather than what he is: a hard-as-nails overachiever with some favourable judging apparent in his record.

On 01/05/2016 at 5:26 PM, morrie21 said:

walk him onto what exactly? another feather fisted 3 and move :lol: Khan went life and death with Algieri in his last fight ffs (and you saw how a decent welter Spence demolished Algieri) he's not hurting Canelo with anything. This is a cashout fight for Khan. Fair enough, he'll get KO'd make a pile of money then disappear from the sport for good

Can't argue with the Truth, looks a bad KO.

14 minutes ago, phart said:

Can't argue with the Truth, looks a bad KO.

Yup. An absolute bomb of a punch from Canelo. 

Full respect to Khan for his performance tonight. He boxed beautifully for the first 4 rounds, Canelo must've been getting slightly worried. I had Khan up 4-1 (probably about to be 4-2 if the 6th had been completed as Canelo was starting to impose himself) when the brutal KO happened. Despite his great start I always felt Khan would walk onto something but I found myself hoping he wouldn't as it was getting really interesting. Anyway he's enhanced his reputation so providing he recovers OK from the heavy KO he should go back to Welter and push for the Brook fight as the A side fighter.

Hope Canelo fights GGG next but can't see Golden Boy letting him take that fight this year. GGG is an entirely different matter and would stop Canelo within 9 rounds I think

Anybody want to buy a crystal ball? I especially like the bit where I said " He's tough and strong but isn't the kind of one-punch power fighter that Khan is vulnerable to. "

Khan did what he could, probably winning the first three rounds, but in the slow motion of the knockout he's in a familiar position, hands down and chin literally stuck out. I thought he didn't look in top condition at the weight, but I was most surprised at Canelo - he looks a better boxer than he was a few years ago. Canelo/GGG is an exciting prospect, but I really think Khan might retire - he's been knocked out three times and they've all been really damaging ones. I'm not a doctor, but I think he'd be wise to avoid getting punched in the head for the rest of his life.

yes retirement might be an option for him. it depends if he thinks his Canelo payday is enough or if he returns for more fights at Welter. He needs a long break from the ring anyway similar to what Pacquiao had after Marquez knocked him out heavily. The KO itself happened after Khan had missed with a jab and Canelo feinted a jab of his own which foxed Khan into moving his hands to block that punch thus leaving him wide open for the huge right which sparked him. Canelo had started going to the body more by that point in the fight so perhaps Khan's defence was starting from a slightly lower position too. Have found out that 2 of the judges had Canelo up at the time of the stoppage (one 3-2 and another inexplicably 4-1) which confirms that had it gone to the cards Khan would've had no chance of getting the decision

Yeah considering what they know about concussions and he's had 3 bad ones, should take a year off anyway, no sparring go on holiday, work with his charities, do some media. Then see where you are.

Although sometimes the worst affected are those that just get hit loads, Khans chin and boxing ability means he hardly gets hit, but when he does it normally has a devastating affect.

Only managed to find the last two rounds on the web for free but it looked like Alvarez was getting on top with the more hurtful punches. Would have been a long six rounds for Khan to see out from what I briefly saw, The left hand of his does look low. I really like Alvarez. It is perhaps somewhat industrial in style but it reminds me Tyson, real menace and effectiveness behind what he throws.

37 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Only managed to find the last two rounds on the web for free but it looked like Alvarez was getting on top with the more hurtful punches. Would have been a long six rounds for Khan to see out from what I briefly saw, The left hand of his does look low. I really like Alvarez. It is perhaps somewhat industrial in style but it reminds me Tyson, real menace and effectiveness behind what he throws.

rds 5 and 6 were when Canelo changed his tactics slightly and came into the fight. In the first 4 rounds he was just head hunting and missing wildly and getting totally outboxed by Khan. Canelo needs to stop all this 155 nonsense and just fight GGG for all the middleweight gold. GGG will fold him IMO but will probably take him 9 or 10 rounds to do it

• 2 weeks later...