Relegation Monday - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Relegation Monday

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ShedTA said:

All players released or free to leave bar Spittal, murray, Fraser and zwick. That's one way to build a new team. 

And a way to cut costs.

All I have seen is that we are not making offers to the out of contract players: Edward Ofere, Callum Morris, Guy Demel, Ryan Dow, John Rankin, Euan Spark, Joe McGovern and Florent Sinama Pongolle. I would have thought Dow, Rankin and Morris would have done a job for us in the Championship but maybe they have already got offers from elsewhere.

As for the rest of the team still under contract, they are unlikely to go unless they get a better offer (unlikely) or a pay-off (more money). Guys like Bodul and Anier still have 2 years left on their contracts. The first person i would get rid would be whoever approved these contracts.

3 minutes ago, OLAS said:

United won't be taking Alan Archibald or Scott Paterson as both have signed 3 year extensions at Firhill today. 

That's ok.  Our last manager from Jags didn't exactly work out.  Neither did Paterson come to think of it. 

26 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

As a Rangers supporter and seeing how Goodwilie's career has panned out I'm very glad to Mr Thompson for that one!

Okay, Rangers did not meet United valuation, and kept offering bids lower than that.

blackburn bid matched and exceeded valuation - Rangers then decided to offer less, and tried to demand via media that the player should be able to talk to them- despite not meet the initial valuation or matching Blackburn bid

finally, and this maybe a difficult concept for you to accept- Rangers did not have any money to pay for the player.  If goodwillie joined the old team, United would have been part of the creditors , along with the face painting company.

16 minutes ago, Ta Ta said:

All I have seen is that we are not making offers to the out of contract players: Edward Ofere, Callum Morris, Guy Demel, Ryan Dow, John Rankin, Euan Spark, Joe McGovern and Florent Sinama Pongolle. I would have thought Dow, Rankin and Morris would have done a job for us in the Championship but maybe they have already got offers from elsewhere.

As for the rest of the team still under contract, they are unlikely to go unless they get a better offer (unlikely) or a pay-off (more money). Guys like Bodul and Anier still have 2 years left on their contracts. The first person i would get rid would be whoever approved these contracts.

Bit difficult to offer contracts without a manger in place though, no?

10 hours ago, ShedTA said:

ANNOUNCEMENT

May 4, 2016

Dundee United Football Club and Mixu Paatelainen have agreed the departure of Paatelainen as First Team Head Coach with immediate effect.

The Club thanks Mixu for his service and will now begin the search for a new Head Coach.

Mixu Paatelainen said, “I would like to thank the players, staff and supporters. It has been a difficult winter and the challenge was huge but nevertheless I have enjoyed every day working for the Club and with this group of players”.

I liked Mixu as a player and and I wasn't too disappointed when he became manager, despite him being at least third choice.

However, for all his passion and effort, he has been a complete disaster who somehow managed to make a poor team worse. I had absolutely no confidence that he could take us forward. I am glad he has gone but I wish him well. The situation should never have arisen though as he should only have been employed to the the end of the season with a clause for an automatic years extension if we stayed up. If we had gone down fighting, i think most people would have been ok with an extension too. He has been awful though.

20 minutes ago, Ta Ta said:

Apparently for the rest of the players under contract apart from the 4 mentioned they are free to find another club. I guess if they can't they will remain utd players. 

9 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Apparently for the rest of the players under contract apart from the 4 mentioned they are free to find another club. I guess if they can't they will remain utd players. 

Great. :-(

9 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Bodul was told just that in January, and yet still remains a United player.

Bottom line is the guys with one or two years left on their contracts will be going nowhere unless someone else offers them a contract elsewhere. Given how pish most of them are, can't see there being a particularly long queue being formed.

2 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Bodul was told just that in January, and yet still remains a United player.

Bottom line is the guys with one or two years left on their contracts will be going nowhere unless someone else offers them a contract elsewhere. Given how pish most of them are, can't see there being a particularly long queue being formed.

Aye, could be some issues there.

1 hour ago, Ta Ta said:

Isn't Dow coming to Perth?

14 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Isn't Dow coming to Perth?

Probably more likely now. 

I thought he was holding out and hoping Utd would offer him something if they stayed up.  He's a good player in flashes, but had a really pish season.  Inconsistent, and I wouldn't rely on him getting us out of the first division.  If he does join The Saint Johnnies then all the best to him.

1 minute ago, adamntg said:

Probably more likely now. 

I thought he was holding out and hoping Utd would offer him something if they stayed up.  He's a good player in flashes, but had a really pish season.  Inconsistent, and I wouldn't rely on him getting us out of the first division.  If he does join The Saint Johnnies then all the best to him.

Just saw that all he has is 6 goals in 77 appearances for you. If I was Tommy Wright I wouldn't touch him.

4 hours ago, Ormond said:

Just saw that all he has is 6 goals in 77 appearances for you. If I was Tommy Wright I wouldn't touch him.

77 appearances over 7 years. unlucky with injuries but only 24 and whenever I have seen him, he has nice touch and works his socks off. if he can stay clear of injuries he would do a turn at most SPL clubs......

Some fans think Dow is a player...not me, the stats ....and some really pitiful performances in last couple of years, prove otherwise.

not good enough, been there too long,  not working ,move on. Hopefully for his benefit as well as might find career improves elsewhere. Thanks and good luck to him.

11 hours ago, Scotunited said:

Okay, Rangers did not meet United valuation, and kept offering bids lower than that.

blackburn bid matched and exceeded valuation - Rangers then decided to offer less, and tried to demand via media that the player should be able to talk to them- despite not meet the initial valuation or matching Blackburn bid

finally, and this maybe a difficult concept for you to accept- Rangers did not have any money to pay for the player.  If goodwillie joined the old team, United would have been part of the creditors , along with the face painting company.

Easy there tiger, you seem to have jumped in with both feet there.  All his post said was that he was glad Thompson didn't accept the bids Rangers made, not that Thompson or United were wrong to do so.  But don't let that get in the way of a wee bit of Rangers bashing if it makes you feel better at this difficult time.

Edited by Fairbairn

31 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

But don't let that get in the way of a wee bit of Rangers bashing if it makes you feel better at this difficult time.

Can we all join in?