Eligibility - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eligibility

The Giant

Does anyone know whether the son of a Scotland player that qualifies through the 'grandparent rule' is eligible to play for Scotland, if the child is born outwith Scotland? For example if someone like Matt Elliott, Nigel Quashie or James Morrison had a son born in England, could he play for us?

Or would they be in the strange position of not qualifying despite their father having caps?

Not qualified.

Sadly it will be my grandchildren's position, (I was born in Bath), but not my brothers grandchildren (he was born in Edinburgh).

Anyway, a long time before I get into that situation.

J

Not qualified. However, if Scotland were to become independent, someone could qualify for living in Scotland for five years after they had their 18th birthday - currently it's five years of education under the age of 18.

On 4/30/2016 at 10:07 PM, Ormond said:

If that ever happened then I'd finally give up on Scotland. It's embarrassing enough already with the Granny rule.

Ditto fella

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 1:35 PM, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

Anyone who doesn't want to play for the country they're brought up in, regardless of heritage for however many generations, is a weirdo.

That would make Jordan Larsson want to play for Scotland despite the fact he is clearly Swedish.