Alcohol Reviews - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Been away for 2 weeks, and wife has necked my 3/4's bottle of Laphroaig  :lol: - she didn't even drink whisky year ago - my training must been too good

Anyways

Anyone got opinions on 

The Bottanist Gin (Produced by Bruchladdich)

Appleton Estate Rum 

Think those are my next targets for addition to drinks cabinet 

I did a tour of Bruichladdich last summer & tried the Botanist. I'm not really a gin drinker but it definitely had a flavour to it. My daughter's partner who is more of a gin drinker reckoned it was one of the best he'd ever tasted but said not to put slimline tonic in it, only a good quality 'full fat' tonic unless you wanted to ruin it. Better with lime than lemon as well apparently.

the-botanist-talk-title.jpg

Without a doubt luxurious and delectable like no other gin.

Bought my first bottle in the Bruichladdich distillery 3 years ago and find it unbeatable.

If ever I'm asked for a 'wish list' it's usually first followed by Jura Origin. 

24 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I did a tour of Bruichladdich last summer & tried the Botanist. I'm not really a gin drinker but it definitely had a flavour to it. My daughter's partner who is more of a gin drinker reckoned it was one of the best he'd ever tasted but said not to put slimline tonic in it, only a good quality 'full fat' tonic unless you wanted to ruin it. Better with lime than lemon as well apparently.

Haven't been on since the board changed....where is thumbs up ^?^

Drinking it neat is even better.

A bit weaker but lately I've discovered Thistly Cross, their Cider is brilliant.

The Whisky Cask stuff in particular. I'm never a fruit cider man, actually I'm rarely a cider drinking man but their strawberry stuff is magnificent. Could easily sook it for breakfast.

11 hours ago, euan2020 said:

Been away for 2 weeks, and wife has necked my 3/4's bottle of Laphroaig  :lol: - she didn't even drink whisky year ago - my training must been too good

Anyways

Anyone got opinions on 

The Bottanist Gin (Produced by Bruchladdich)

Appleton Estate Rum 

Think those are my next targets for addition to drinks cabinet 

Appleton Estate is ok, has a very gingery aftertaste which kinda ruins it for much prefer a Havana 7 yr old.

Mount Gay is also good. 

2 hours ago, Baz said:

Appleton Estate is ok, has a very gingery aftertaste which kinda ruins it for much prefer a Havana 7 yr old.

Mount Gay is also good. 

Was drinking Appleton at the weekend and wasn't keen. Moved on to Havana 7 and much better. Had Kraken in a pub in town a few weeks ago and it was lovely plus it was served by a rum drinker so he made it perfectly,  rum and ginger beer lots of squeezed lime and crushed ice.  Tried Diplomatico Reservation Exclusive in Anchor Line, actually only asked for Diplomatico but barman gave me the dearer stuff and wouldn't have minded but one of those cost me what 2 of the Kraken's did and it was served with couple ice cubes and slice of lime. Plus we were asked 4 times by waitress if she could get us another drink, first time was as I was putting the drinks I'd just bought at bar onto the table!  But for a good night out with my pals and for quantity over quality you can't best Morgan's.

(Flure, if you're reading this I still apologise for vomiting around the koi pond but it was not the rum it was the fecking wee fiddly food bits. Canapés ffs, I'm from Auchinairn. I also apologise for saying that to the barrister who wondered if I was from the islands and him thinking I came from Funningkinairn. Looking forward to your summer soirée, no invite yet received but I'll be there.) 

Sailor Jerry - 1 of my favourite rums, and now owned & bottled by Glenfiiddich

Lambs Navy Rum - Nice strong rum, and carried a bottle down from UK 2 weeks ago 

Brugal from Domincan Republic - Really liked this in UK, although gone it a bit  

Sure when i was 20 odd it was only Watsons and OVD we drunk 

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/05/2016 at 1:31 AM, G-Man said:

Was drinking Appleton at the weekend and wasn't keen. Moved on to Havana 7 and much better. Had Kraken in a pub in town a few weeks ago and it was lovely plus it was served by a rum drinker so he made it perfectly,  rum and ginger beer lots of squeezed lime and crushed ice.  Tried Diplomatico Reservation Exclusive in Anchor Line, actually only asked for Diplomatico but barman gave me the dearer stuff and wouldn't have minded but one of those cost me what 2 of the Kraken's did and it was served with couple ice cubes and slice of lime. Plus we were asked 4 times by waitress if she could get us another drink, first time was as I was putting the drinks I'd just bought at bar onto the table!  But for a good night out with my pals and for quantity over quality you can't best Morgan's.

(Flure, if you're reading this I still apologise for vomiting around the koi pond but it was not the rum it was the fecking wee fiddly food bits. Canapés ffs, I'm from Auchinairn. I also apologise for saying that to the barrister who wondered if I was from the islands and him thinking I came from Funningkinairn. Looking forward to your summer soirée, no invite yet received but I'll be there.) 

He still talks about that.

And for the umpteenth time - he's a judge; and his son's a Barista!

And this year's is the usual Saturday in July. Same place. Don't bring the boa.

34 minutes ago, Flure said:

Bloody Royal Mail seem to have lost my invite. :(

Been drinking a lot of a wee cider I've discovered called Strongbow. Has a nice nose to it and goes down smoothly. 

Available in cans from any decent supermarket and have found it on tap in the odd boozer too. 

Have also seen it to buy in big 3L bottles, ideal for taking out and about with you, say down the park with your mates!

On 2 May 2016 at 4:47 PM, kumnio said:

Kraken Rum is kinda new, and bloody excellent, worth a shout.

krakenrum__63253__37443.1358534237.1280.

Started drinking that and I love it.

Was drinking it with ginger ale and a twist of lime.

Was playing round with mixing it with Irn Bru last weekend. An amazing drink. I Christened it the "Kracken Bru".

Give it a try.

J

20 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Was playing round with mixing it with Irn Bru last weekend. An amazing drink. I Christened it the "Kracken Bru".

Give it a try.

J

I like it with ginger beer and lime :cheers3:

12 hours ago, Flure said:

It's in the diary and ladder to get over the fence is in the car. He definitely said barrister, admittedly it was said whilst he was holding my hair away from my face mid boak. I bloody used 2 mints for that lying bam and don't even like coffee. :banghead: I've bought something even better than a boa! 

8 hours ago, bonzo said:

I like it with ginger beer and lime :cheers3:

I:ok::ok: Rum, squeeze the lime then put parts in glass with crushed ice and ginger beer. I'm on to my second one just now. 

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

It's in the diary and ladder to get over the fence is in the car. He definitely said barrister, admittedly it was said whilst he was holding my hair away from my face mid boak. I bloody used 2 mints for that lying bam and don't even like coffee. :banghead: I've bought something even better than a boa! 

I:ok::ok: Rum, squeeze the lime then put parts in glass with crushed ice and ginger beer. I'm on to my second one just now. 

In the cocktail circles I move in :lol::cheers3: I believe it's known as a dark and stormy. 

18 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Give it a try.

J

I have been drinking Rum and Bru for Years, and i have always called it a Scotia Libra

2 hours ago, bonzo said:

In the cocktail circles I move in :lol::cheers3: I believe it's known as a dark and stormy. 

2 hours ago, Grumpyauldgit said:

I have been drinking Rum and Bru for Years, and i have always called it a Scotia Libra

After being aw cultural the day and looking at mummies I'll be visiting some fine hostelries where I'll be sure to ask for both of these and snort derisively if they don't know these finely named cocktails. 

I may may snort derisively after I'm served just in case they snort nastily into my glass.