Pakora - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Started making pakora after finding out that my wee one (3) can eat it - gram flour (chick pea), as she is allergic to wheat.

Felt like the best Dad in the world when we all sat down at the table and she could have exactly the same as us - Mum/Dad/ Brother 5yrs.

Any tips/recipes etc ?

Edited by killiefaetheferry
spelling

Should have said at the start - it is VERY easy to make. Basics are the gram flour sifted into a bowl with grated or finely chopped potato. Chuck in salt/chilli powder/curry powder/turmeric to your own taste and add sliced onion and pretty much any other veg you fancy - spinach, coriander, peas, cauliflower etc.

Mix up with your fingers until you have a doughy wet consistency that just about holds together when you lift out a spoonful. Dollop it in spoonfuls into deep fat fryer at about 170 and fry for 2-3 mins.

You can add water or more gram flour to get the right mix for you.

1 hour ago, Flora MaDonald said:

Well done, Killie - a good faither. I'm actually going to try this tonight. All leave cancelled for Scottish Fire & Rescue Service.

Good for you ! One tip - do a one dollop tester first. Then you can have a taste and then add more salt/chilli etc before you do the whole bowl.  What veg you fancying using ?

1 hour ago, Flora MaDonald said:

Well done, Killie - a good faither. I'm actually going to try this tonight. All leave cancelled for Scottish Fire & Rescue Service.

Safety wise - use 2 spoons to get the mix into the fryer - one to lift a dollop of your mixture and the other to ease it off the first spoon gently so it doesn't splash you with hot fat or get stuck to the wire basket.

18 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Should have said at the start - it is VERY easy to make. Basics are the gram flour sifted into a bowl with grated or finely chopped potato. Chuck in salt/chilli powder/curry powder/turmeric to your own taste and add sliced onion and pretty much any other veg you fancy - spinach, coriander, peas, cauliflower etc.

Mix up with your fingers until you have a doughy wet consistency that just about holds together when you lift out a spoonful. Dollop it in spoonfuls into deep fat fryer at about 170 and fry for 2-3 mins.

You can add water or more gram flour to get the right mix for you.

No quite as easy as walking to the top of the road to the indian takeaway though.

good on you though , and yer wean will at least be the HEALTHIEST fat kid in the street?

3 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Do you need a deep fat fryer for this or would I be able to do it in a deepish wok?

You could do it in a pan or wok, yes. Just a matter of keeping the temperature though. I bought a wee fryer from Argos for 19 quid for the purpose - Cookworks brand. Rectangular shape and stainless steel, looks like a mini version of a professional one. Thought even if the pakora thing doesn't work I can at least make her some simple chips, as most of the frozen ones are coated with stuff she is allergic to. And yes the chips were great and yes you could walk to the chippy......:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Having good times with this. Got the wee ones involved now I have half a clue what I'm doing. The mixing up is causing a pure mess in the kitchen but hey-ho, eggs and omelettes and all that :whistling:

Simple tonight - potato, pea and onion.

Also making a kofta meatball curry, with proper root turmeric used in the sauce, it's meant to be dead healthy and be more spicy and peppery than ginger. It stains your fingers quite badly though - I currently have the hands of an 80 year old who has smoked 60 woodbine unfiltered for 70 years. :lol:.

Both recipes are online  - look for Hari Ghotra, she has a search engine in the top right corner of her website for recipes. Using half pork, half lamb for my koftas.

1 hour ago, thewolf_1980 said:

That might be the poshest thing you've ever said. ?

I don't take sauce with my pakora. Pakora sauce is boggin'. There, I said it.

I've always thought that there was a smattering of class about you.