Voting - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

It raises my spirits to know I might live in an independent Scotland one day...  Further still when I think racist Nazi khunts like you will be long dead too see it! :D

But a red tory sell out like you will still be alive?

My 3 children, 4, 3 years & 16 months, will take my place, if you're still around that is.

Care to state where I have been racist? If you look at your comment about me allegedly starting all this, then just go back to page 2 and see your reference to me being racist. The real start of all this.:o:spin:

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be very interesting to see the turnout, results and breakdown of this election. 

It looks to me like we're in a pretty strange situation just now. People not really knowing what they want, who they want, or how best to express there vote(s). 

Plenty of people on here and elsewhere calling out expectations of a low turnout which would somewhat go against the re-engagement from the referendum and the higher than average turnout for the GE last year. Not to mention the additional votes from 16 & 17 year olds coming on board for the first time. 

The other big question people appear to be having is whether the SNP have peaked - and what represents failure for them. General thinking that a failure to get a majority is a failure, but a successful majority would just be accepted as a norm. It's a dangerous situation for them to be in but there's been an underlying narrative around this for some time to develop a situation that the only way is down for the SNP. 

While the majority of voters laugh-off the SNPbad mantra from Scottish Labour, the constant narrative of SNP criticism on Health, Education, and whatever else has however seemed to have make it's impact - as plenty of people (as seen here as a prime example) have stated a level of dissatisfaction and many a feeling of SNP being 'unworthy' of their 2nd vote, and so on. Plenty of people have bought in to that. 

It's absolutely fair enough to call in to question the SNP but the question really is who is best to govern Scotland. I honestly think think that many people are giving away their 2nd SNP vote on the opinion they've developed that the SNP 'are not doing enough' but it's not really addressing the point that the alternative is Kez or Ruth - neither of whom look like shaping up to do anything better. Of course there are some that would hope for an SNP minority government to put more pressure on them. The only party seemingly capable of getting concessions in that instance may be the Greens and it's not going to be anything big like moving to a 50p tax-rate or anything of that sort. Even in majority government, the SNP have shown examples of willingness to collaborate with Labour policies brought forward, and willingness to back down from stupidity such as on some of MacAskill's justice position u-turns. Other times, the membership has forced re-thinks on matters such as Land Reform not going far enough. 

Nevertheless, it seems that support for the SNP may be starting to wane according to some. 

It'll be interesting to see what that translates to in terms of votes! 

1 minute ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Are there any exit polls?

No

Me and my Dad voted SNP both votes though at our polling station if that helps

41 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Turnout looks lower than expected which I think will spell more trouble for Labour. Must be least motivated vote in Scotland right now so if they've stayed at home...

Not only the voters, they won't gave the activists on the ground to get the vote out. 

44 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Turnout was only 50.4% in 2011, will it be lower this year, hopefully not.

Possibly higher level of postal votes though?

Edinburgh South seemed to be pretty busy.

Anyway voted against the SNP on both counts. Been involved with the government on a couple of matters over the last two years (mainly land and fishery conservation, from a legal point of view), and was pretty disheartening to see how the scientific evidence was treated by various committees dominated by the SNP. Even although the outcome was positive to a certain extent, the lack of scrutiny was worrying, and people on the committee making valid points were simply outvoted by the pack. Simply put- there was no one to hold them to account. 

3 hours ago, antidote said:

My 3 children, 4, 3 years & 16 months, will take my place, if you're still around that is.

You believe your children will also be Scottish Supremacists?... Talk about having high hopes for your children.

1 minute ago, kumnio said:

Rutherglen with 55% of the vote, only got 39.5% last time, thats a massive swing, if true.

It was the start of the massive swings last time round. Would be interesting to discover the total swing from 2007!

2007 - SNP 23.2% Labour 44.6%

2011 - SNP 39.5% Labour 46.1%

2016 - SNP 55% Labour Who knows

Didnt think we would see big swings such as happened in 2011, it could be apocalypse for Labour :spin:

After nearly killing myself last year on the Limoncella nips for every constituency won by the SNP, I've opted for a slow swig of red wine Labour wine this year sipping away their vote as it falls.

Although the thought of Murdo Fraser, Davidson, crowing about second is giving me the boak.

Slightly different atmosphere on the thread tonight compared to the previous Holyrood election, as this one's a foregone conclusion.

Only real points of interest are who's come second, and the results of a few constituencies.

BBC now reporting the Lib Dems might actually hold Orkney and Shetland with a bigger majority!