Voting - Page 16 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 minute ago, Bannannan said:

Precisely.We should move the border up a bit.:mad:

Think we should, honestly just can understand how they have won so many seats and voters, must be a lot of people with short memories as the majority of Scottish will never forgive the tories the way they treated working class in the 80's and 90's with Poll Tax, shutting down our steelworks at ravenscraig etc

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/2016/05/06/election-night/

The lesson for the Yes campaign is that there are people in Scotland, former Labour voters, who are so committed to the Union that they’ve switched to the Tories. Those are the voters that we will never win over. Seems that the Red Tory jibe was pretty accurate after all. Next time someone from Labour calls the SNP the Tartan Tories all we need to do is to remind them where their votes went. Their hatred of the SNP has killed them. We’re facing an SNP government with the Tories as the official opposition

The big losers are Labour. What’s left of Labour needs to reflect on its ruination. For the first time in over 100 years it looks like they’ve been pushed into third place. If they really believe in the progressive politics they claim to stand for, they need to face up to the reality that Scottish politics is now a contest between a social democratic independence or a reactionary conservative unionism. There can only be one winner in the longer term. Either we lose our NHS, our public services, our free education, and become a glorified nuclear arms dump full of part time workers on zero hours contracts struggling with low wages and ever decreasing rights, or the Union is over. That’s the choice facing Scotland, that’s the choice facing Labour. It’s that stark.

Well said by the wgd and so true.

I heard Simon Pia on STV the other night saying that the red tories in Scotland have to be a totally seperate party from the London red tories, totally autonomous. 

Maybe they'll have another chance with the electorate then.

If there's another referendum Labour in Scotland would then be in the positions that they would have to take sides again and they won't relish that option.

Does anyone know what number of votes the tories got and what was the difference in votes from the last time?

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

It's a shame so many folk bought in to the "both votes SNP" pish. Just a few hundred more votes for the Greens in the Glasgow list vote and it'd have been 2 Greens and 1 Tory, rather than the other way around. 

That's not actually true.  Glasgow is pretty simple to work out since both the Greens and the Tories got no constituency seats and going into the last round they had both got one list seat.  Therefore to take the last list seat instead of the Tories the Greens would have had to have gotten an additional 6136 list votes not a few more hundred.

Willie Rennie, how the hell did that happen. I mean ffs Fifers, is it some internal joke, a lost bet, why would you people do this. 

Disappointed overalll, Davidson and Rennie will be smugly happy for months, Dugdale is fighting a losing battle, I mean she is dreadful, but her hand is terrible, anyone would struggle in her position. Great night for the Greens though, hopefully they will bring something to the government. 

Corben in bounce across the UK looks like an imaginary concept, their party really is heading for the abyss. 

2 hours ago, biffer said:

One thing I'm sure we can all agree on is its pleasing to see UKIP got nowhere near a seat.

Did you see Neil Hamilton's acceptance speech in Llanelli? Seriously strange, and just incomprehensible that anyone could want him as their elected representative. Farrage was on the radio moments later referring to some other UKIP bloke in Wales as an 'honest, decent man' who his party could get behind, declining to deny that he was having a dig at Hamilton in doing so. Absolute bellends the lot of them.

12 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Willie Rennie, how the hell did that happen. I mean ffs Fifers, is it some internal joke, a lost bet, why would you people do this. 

Disappointed overalll, Davidson and Rennie will be smugly happy for months, Dugdale is fighting a losing battle, I mean she is dreadful, but her hand is terrible, anyone would struggle in her position. Great night for the Greens though, hopefully they will bring something to the government. 

Corben in bounce across the UK looks like an imaginary concept, their party really is heading for the abyss. 

Corbyn should have done a lot better considering the tories problems with the EU, junior doctors strike etc. Many of the commentary on tv are saying that last nights results prove that Corbyn is unelectable to the English voters.

The alternative to Dugdale within the Labour party is laughable, but on the other hand it maybe have that extra comical value.

I see Jackie Baillie got a round of applause from her blue tory better together friends last night.

That figures.

Edited by antidote

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

It's a shame so many folk bought in to the "both votes SNP" pish. Just a few hundred more votes for the Greens in the Glasgow list vote and it'd have been 2 Greens and 1 Tory, rather than the other way around. 

Same in NE Scotland - the fibbers get a list MSP with 18,000 votes, the Greens get no list MSPs with their 15,000 votes (Tories get 4 MSPs with their 85K list votes , Lab 2 with 38K) and 137,000 SNP list votes count for nothing.

Would only have taken a tiny proportion of SNP voters voting Green on the list to keep the Lib Dems out.

22 minutes ago, kumnio said:

That's another one for the list of WTF things that have happened in Fife:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hilarywardle/what-the-fife?utm_term=.hdpoAAO42#.rxGo22JLD

Edited by neilser

7 minutes ago, antidote said:

Corbyn should have done a lot better considering the tories problems with the EU, junior doctors strike etc. Many of the commentary on tv are saying that last nights results prove that Corbyn is unelectable to the English voters.

The alternative to Dugdale within the Labour party is laughable, but on the other hand it maybe have that extra comical value.

I see Jackie Baillie got a round of applause from her blue tory better together friends last night.

That figures.

Young Kirsty is either being Naive there, or deliberitely stirring up shite, Cove tells me she's alright so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.  Every single count I've ever been at there has always been an applause for the winner.  Allan Wilson (Lab) applauded Kenny Gibson (SNP), Patrcia Gibson (SNP) applauded Katy Clark (LAB), Katy Clark (LAB) applauded Patricia Gibson (SNP).

16 minutes ago, kumnio said:

There is a fairly long tradition of support for the Lib Dems in NE Fife, Ming Campbell was a popular MP there for years. It is a relatively prosperous, predominantly rural area, very different from the traditional Labour heartland of much of the rest of Fife, and not really prime pro-independence territory. I'm surprised Roddy Campbell won it last time around to be honest. I had no idea Rennie was a Bell Baxter FP, I can only hope I used to bully him at school.

2 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

Young Kirsty is either being Naive there, or deliberitely stirring up shite, Cove tells me she's alright so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.  Every single count I've ever been at there has always been an applause for the winner.  Allan Wilson (Lab) applauded Kenny Gibson (SNP), Patrcia Gibson (SNP) applauded Katy Clark (LAB), Katy Clark (LAB) applauded Patricia Gibson (SNP).

You'd like to give her the clap not a clap.

:P

Polite applause and a congratulatory handshake seems fair enough.

3 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

Fair enough point.

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

You'd like to give her the clap not a clap.

:P

Polite applause and a congratulatory handshake seems fair enough.

I've never met her, I'd need to give her an hour long intensive interview on Marxist ideology before deciding whether she deserves my ding-a-ling.

Except when it's fascists like the NF, they should be shunned, which again Cove said the Aberdonians did so at the count.

8 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

I've never met her, I'd need to give her an hour long intensive interview on Marxist ideology before deciding whether she deserves my ding-a-ling.

Except when it's fascists like the NF, they should be shunned, which again Cove said the Aberdonians did so at the count.

She's from Insch.

Insch women are best avoided.

No need to thank me.

2 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

I wouldn't have said so, no, unless you have evidence to support it. Greens had every right to stand in constituency. If SNP wanted a free run at constituencies, they should have offered some kind of alliance. Instead, they wanted to roll the dice (and clearly expected every one else to bow before them).

You think Greens took votes from Tories and Labour?

I don't dispute their right to run.  I voted for them.  I'm only saying that the way Scotland is at the moment, you won't get much fence-jumping. You're SNP/Green or you're Unionist, broadly speaking. 

Given the way the SNP swept most of the FPTP seats I think BothVotes was a mistake. They needed regional votes in the south, highlands and Edinburgh.  You'd have been as well putting a second SNP vote straight in the bin in Glasgow and Central. 

40 minutes ago, neilser said:

Same in NE Scotland - the fibbers get a list MSP with 18,000 votes, the Greens get no list MSPs with their 15,000 votes (Tories get 4 MSPs with their 85K list votes , Lab 2 with 38K) and 137,000 SNP list votes count for nothing.

Would only have taken a tiny proportion of SNP voters voting Green on the list to keep the Lib Dems out.

On the other hand, in Lothian, the SNP list vote fell by 2.9% from 2011.  If it had stayed at the same level then they would have picked up the final list seat rather than the Greens.

Swings and roundabouts.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Hopefully Ruthie keeps shouting that we cant have a second referendum

This was her entire campaign. Her poster outside the polling station didn't include any mention of the Conservative party. Just a picture of her face with "No to a second referendum" next to it. She barely campaigned in the constituency, not even sure she turned up at a hustings. She obviously picked up the Lib Dem and Labour unionist vote.

Coincidentally we had an hour long power cut about 2 hours after the result was announced, the first I can remember in nearly 20 years living in the area. That's the gods telling us they're not happy with the way the constituency voted!