OATH OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE SCOTTISH PEOPLE - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

OATH OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE SCOTTISH PEOPLE

I see this is to "Establish a new oath of allegiance for Members of the Scottish Parliament, one that pledges allegiance to the people of Scotland, not to the Queen."

When elected our representatives are required to take the following oath or affirmation:

The oath states: "I (Member's Name), do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, Her Heirs and Successors, according to Law. So help me God."

The affirmation states: "I (Member's Name), do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, Her Heirs and Successors, according to Law."

On 08/05/2016 at 1:07 AM, exile said:

I see this is to "Establish a new oath of allegiance for Members of the Scottish Parliament, one that pledges allegiance to the people of Scotland, not to the Queen."

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/4000/nicola-sturgeon-swears-loyalty-to-the-people-before-the-monarchy

Very Interesting :-)

On 12/05/2016 at 4:59 PM, antidote said:

There should be a free and open choice for MSPs to swear allegiance either to quennie or the people.

As in The Peeeeepul?