Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 48 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

18 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

I thought when Rangers were looking at Joe Garner this was a free xfer - 1.5M GBP for guy who spent most of his time in League One - 49 goals from 57 goals from 157 for PNE - but 51 of these were League 1 goals 

Not sure what figures you're trying to quote as they seem a bit garbled bit he's got 101 goals in 338 games in his career.

Not bad but not fantastic either. Admittedly we probably couldn't afford a striker with better stats. ? 

Just now, RenfrewBlue said:

Not sure what figures you're trying to quote as they seem a bit garbled bit he's got 101 goals in 338 games in his career.

Not bad but not fantastic either. Admittedly we probably couldn't afford a striker with better stats. ? 

only 23 of those goals were championship level - rest were league 1

just surprised they were paying a fee, way i was reading reports, i thought it was just a player PNE wanted rid off

I was quoting his PNE playing career - sorry the 157 was PNE games 

2 hours ago, euan2020 said:

only 23 of those goals were championship level - rest were league 1

just surprised they were paying a fee, way i was reading reports, i thought it was just a player PNE wanted rid off

I was quoting his PNE playing career - sorry the 157 was PNE games 

Apparently he was a fans favourite at PNE so he must have something about him. Time will tell if he's got what it takes for Rangers. 

Pretty sure Warburton researches his players via their stats so he must have something in mind for the guy.

2 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Apparently he was a fans favourite at PNE so he must have something about him. Time will tell if he's got what it takes for Rangers. 

Pretty sure Warburton researches his players via their stats so he must have something in mind for the guy.

nothing better to do so was reading 1 of their fan sites, and as you said well regarded - & championship season they were playing 1 up front, with no support, which doesn't suit him  - saying that - of his 101 goals including championship ones, he also took the penalties 

bit of money though - sure could get better value in dutch leagues or somewhere where TV is not paying so much money, and inflating the market - but i guess that's where Warburton has his knowledge - could argue money would be better spent on Greg Stewart - but time will tell how well he gets along  

16 hours ago, euan2020 said:

I guess comparator is Gary Hooper - he was League 1/League 2 at the time mainly - although i remember at the time a lot of clubs were chasing him

Aye i said that earlier in the thread, you could also look at Rooney, Griffiths and Miller who weren't exactly prolific in the Championship down there and have been excellent up here. 

As you say, time will tell if it's worth it or not. 

18 hours ago, euan2020 said:

nothing better to do so was reading 1 of their fan sites, and as you said well regarded - & championship season they were playing 1 up front, with no support, which doesn't suit him  - saying that - of his 101 goals including championship ones, he also took the penalties 

bit of money though - sure could get better value in dutch leagues or somewhere where TV is not paying so much money, and inflating the market - but i guess that's where Warburton has his knowledge - could argue money would be better spent on Greg Stewart - but time will tell how well he gets along  

As you say Warburton likes to shop in the places he knows. He obviously has plenty of contacts for the lower leagues down south.

He also likes to look at player stats,  so there must have been something there that helped point to the lad.

Hopefully he'll get a pile of goals this season so we can afford the 2nd half of the fee. ? 

I remember watching Garner a few times the season before last season.  I think Preston had a bit of a cup run and he was certainly a player who caught the eye. Kenny Miller's can't keep going on forever so I think it should be a decent signing.  Comparisons with Hooper are pretty valid though Hooper was a fair bit younger when he joined Celtic.