Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 50 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Cq27KH9WIAAWXrX.jpg:large

Intelligent contribution as always. ? 

I know it's not the done thing these days, but I'll reserve judgement on Rangers and the new players until we're nearer halfway in the season. 

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Barton has been pish so far but pretty much the only Rangers players I'd give pass marks to this season would be Miller, Foderingham and Waghorn before his injury.  It's way to early in the season to be writing anyone off.

I agree.

However... Early indications are that Warburton's signing strategy of signing old past it guys from down south is not going to provide value for money. 

36 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I agree.

However... Early indications are that Warburton's signing strategy of signing old past it guys from down south is not going to provide value for money. 

Based on what? Hill and Barton? Or are you including others in your assessment?

I only ask as Kranjcar has assisted in almost all of our goals so far and I'm not sure any of the other signings fit your description. 

It obviously is too early to judge, but so far Barton has been anonymous at best, and he is keeping one or two other decent players out of their team. Bearing in mind how much better he is than everyone and anyone in the Scottish game (we know this because he has told us) that is surprising. He can hardly be struggling to adapt to the league here either as it so poor and he came from the best league in the world. It struck me at the time as an odd signing by Warburton (a gamble with a lot of risk for questionable reward) and I still think it won't work out. But he could obviously go on to prove me and many others wrong.

Edited by Pool Q

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I agree.

Except the average age of players we have brought in this year is around 27/28.

What constitutes old these days?

Edited by Stu101

2 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Based on what? Hill and Barton? Or are you including others in your assessment?

I only ask as Kranjcar has assisted in almost all of our goals so far and I'm not sure any of the other signings fit your description. 

I'm including the three you mention. You'll notice I mention "value for money" in my post. The three mentioned will be on higher wages combined than the 11 players you faced in Hamilton, Killie and Motherwell. You failed to beat 2 of those and got a last minute winner against the other. 

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

I agree.

At least he got Barton signed. Look at the lescott fiasco. I see he has passed a fitness test and signed for aek Athens. Must have been the not wanting to move too far from his family that stalled it after all. ?

2 hours ago, ShedTA said:

At least he got Barton signed. Look at the lescott fiasco. I see he has passed a fitness test and signed for aek Athens. Must have been the not wanting to move too far from his family that stalled it after all. ?

Don't see anything wrong with that. Package agreed based on him passing a medical. Medical shows up a potential issue with his knee. Package is reduced accordingly to take into account the increased risk. Player rejects it and, as far as I am aware, the agent then goes to the press with the "family reasons" line - obviously wanting to look after his client.

As I am sure you are aware, clubs do have different standards of medicals. And some of us do remember Daniel Prodan.

Unless you are aware of some other reason it didn't work out?

Edited by Stu101

6 hours ago, Pool Q said:

It obviously is too early to judge, but so far Barton has been anonymous at best, and he is keeping one or two other decent players out of their team. Bearing in mind how much better he is than everyone and anyone in the Scottish game (we know this because he has told us) that is surprising. He can hardly be struggling to adapt to the league here either as it so poor and he came from the best league in the world. It struck me at the time as an odd signing by Warburton (a gamble with a lot of risk for questionable reward) and I still think it won't work out. But he could obviously go on to prove me and many others wrong.

Agreed, although I wouldn't say he has been anonymous- he gets a lot of the ball, but slows things up. 

Rossiter has looked the better player so far, although obviously, as noted, we are only at the start of the season. I do wonder if Barton is fully fit.

8 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Don't see anything wrong with that. Package agreed based on him passing a medical. Medical shows up a potential issue with his knee. Package is reduced accordingly to take into account the increased risk. Player rejects it and, as far as I am aware, the agent then goes to the press with the "family reasons" line - obviously wanting to look after his client.

As I am sure you are aware, clubs do have different standards of medicals. And some of us do remember Daniel Prodan.

Unless you are aware of some other reason it didn't work out?

Oh I see. I didn't realise aek's medicals were easier to pass than rangers ones. Is it because they are a Greek club, or just play at a lower level than rangers maybe? 

48 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Oh I see. I didn't realise aek's medicals were easier to pass than rangers ones. Is it because they are a Greek club, or just play at a lower level than rangers maybe? 

No idea. What I do know is my friends brother who has played for two championship clubs and in Scotland noted the difference in what teams require you to go through. At the end of the day you are asking a doctor to give a professional opinion. Opinions can obviously be different.

Classic example would obviously be Hartson.

Trust this isn't too hard to follow.

Marvin Johnson has put in a transfer request.

Not really sure what this changes.

Motherwell haven't hidden the fact he's for sale, if the offer meets their valuation, which I suspect is about £500k.

He has 2 years on his contract, so if he doesn't go this week, he'll definitely be off in January. QPR latest rumoured interest.

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

To be fair, I would imagine some teams are happy with 2 arms and 2 legs, others will be more thorough.

Some teams will also be more risk averse than others when it comes to these things?

20 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Marvin Johnson has put in a transfer request.

Not really sure what this changes.

Motherwell haven't hidden the fact he's for sale, if the offer meets their valuation, which I suspect is about £500k.

He has 2 years on his contract, so if he doesn't go this week, he'll definitely be off in January. QPR latest rumoured interest.

I think by handing in a transfer request he waives any rights he may have to a slice of his transfer fee.

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

To be fair, I would imagine some teams are happy with 2 arms and 2 legs, others will be more thorough.

Some teams will also be more risk averse than others when it comes to these things?

That's pretty much the nail on the head.  Lescott would have been a huge investment for us given our financial position.  I have absolutely no problem with the board either pulling the plug on a deal completely or restructuring the terms of a deal if they believe something showed up in a medical assessment that made it a risky proposition.  We've been stung by this kind of thing before.  It's also not beyond the realms of possibility to assume that AEK either didn't see it as a problem or didn't see it as (as much of) a risk.  However, I'm well aware that what people want to hear is , Rangers couldn't afford the deal in the first place, King is full of scheidt, what happend to the war chest, succulent lamb etc etc etc so lets just go with that.

1 minute ago, Fairbairn said:

That's pretty much the nail on the head.  Lescott would have been a huge investment for us given our financial position.  I have absolutely no problem with the board either pulling the plug on a deal completely or restructuring the terms of a deal if they believe something showed up in a medical assessment that made it a risky proposition.  We've been stung by this kind of thing before.  It's also not beyond the realms of possibility to assume that AEK either didn't see it as a problem or didn't see it as (as much of) a risk.  However, I'm well aware that what people want to hear is , Rangers couldn't afford the deal in the first place, King is full of scheidt, what happend to the war chest, succulent lamb etc etc etc so lets just go with that.

I can understand Rangers pulling the plug on the deal. Fair play to them for being cautious. 

The last sentence of your post is also true though ;) 

11 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I'm sure he'll not be out of pocket.

Confirmation that agents are bad men!

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-champ-target-johnson-explains-transfer-desire

It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. 

No one was begrudging the boy a move and I dont think anyone was really expecting 1mill plus (but there is no harm in asking)

But to be crap for the last 3 weeks and then hand in a transfer request is just bawbaggery. 

4 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. 

No one was begrudging the boy a move and I dont think anyone was really expecting 1mill plus (but there is no harm in asking)

But to be crap for the last 3 weeks and then hand in a transfer request is just bawbaggery. 

His family reasons may be genuine?

My wife would be happier if I tripled my salary too.

:lol:

58 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

With all due respect I would be f@cking astonished if aek settled for 2 arms and 2 legs. They may not be Barcelona but they are hardly 2 bit.

4 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

With all due respect I would be f@cking astonished if aek settled for 2 arms and 2 legs. They may not be Barcelona but they are hardly 2 bit.

Not a suggestion they are a 2 bit outfit. They are at least one level above what the tabloids would call "European cracks".

:lol:

Just that some clubs might be willing to accept some wear and tear on a 34 year old.