Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 74 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

10 hours ago, euan2020 said:

Tore Andre Flo 29 ?

Paul Gascoigne 31 ?

The Old Firm obviously have their own pricing structure.  You'll need to show me a 29 year old moving south from a provincial club for £2m+ please. 

The fees clubs receive largely depend on their own financial strength.  I mean, nobody is going to pay Montrose £500k for a player ever, even if they had the next Messi, are they?

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

The Old Firm obviously have their own pricing structure.  You'll need to show me a 29 year old moving south from a provincial club for £2m+ please. 

The fees clubs receive largely depend on their own financial strength.  I mean, nobody is going to pay Montrose £500k for a player ever, even if they had the next Messi, are they?

That's another good point.  We have no debt.  We don't "need" the money.

Is Hayes worth £2million + to Aberdeen ?

Probably.

That's not to say Cardiff would pay that. But Aberdeen have Hayes under contract and we don't have to sell.

If Aberdeen have any guts at all, they should state that as the minimum price we'd accept.

Of course, the club doesn't have any guts so we all know what's going to happen.

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Is Hayes worth £2million + to Aberdeen ?

Probably.

That's not to say Cardiff would pay that. But Aberdeen have Hayes under contract and we don't have to sell.

If Aberdeen have any guts at all, they should state that as the minimum price we'd accept.

Of course, the club doesn't have any guts so we all know what's going to happen.

I dunno, I used to hate it when Stephen Thompson would stick price labels on all United's players (when we had some worth buying).  Tell them they're not for sale and let them try and change your mind.

50 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Reports Cardiff are prepared to offer cash plus Matthew Kennedy for Hayes.

Think Aberdeen are kidding themselves at £2m, but should be looking to keep him at all costs than accept a small price for him.

Think this has been explained in great detail already.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Reports Cardiff are prepared to offer cash plus Matthew Kennedy for Hayes.

A guy they don't want and that couldn't get a game for Hibs? No thanks, i'd rather we gave Scott Wright a chance. 

52 minutes ago, Parklife said:

A guy they don't want and that couldn't get a game for Hibs? No thanks, i'd rather we gave Scott Wright a chance. 

To be fair, look where Niall McGinn was at the time he signed for you lot in 2012. He'd just had an unspectacular loan at Brentford in England's League One and was unwanted and out of his depth at Celtic. He's now scored over fifty league goals for the Dons.

Get Kennedy fully fit, playing regularly and with confidence, you never know how he could turn out.

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Get Kennedy fully fit, playing regularly and with confidence, you never know how he could turn out.

You could say the same about Scott Wright though... I'd rather we gave a player we already have (and have just given a new 2 year contract to) a chance . 

18 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

To be fair, look where Niall McGinn was at the time he signed for you lot in 2012. He'd just had an unspectacular loan at Brentford in England's League One and was unwanted and out of his depth at Celtic. He's now scored over fifty league goals for the Dons.

That's true - but as a direct swap for your top player why would you accept a part cash, part player deal for a player you probably know little about, maybe isn't what we are looking for and has a track record that suggests it might not work out anyway. I'd assume taking a chance on a youth player you already know makes more sense? 

While i don't doubt we will screw this up, we need to hold firm on £2m.  Any less, we tell Warnock where to go (the outcome i'm hoping for).  The aforementioned remains subject to any conflicting sell on clause provision and the bargaining power of the player/his willingness to stay. 

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hayes isn't even close to being half the player those two were. Flo was an overpriced flop but he had done plenty before signing with Rangers. Just wasn't worth £12m. 

Have we set up a new question ?  29 year olds not as good as the 29 year olds that did get xfered for +2M GBP ?

the statement was no 29 year old had been sold to England clubs for GBP 2 M  

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hayes isn't even close to being half the player those two were. Flo was an overpriced flop but he had done plenty before signing with Rangers. Just wasn't worth £12m. 

Roy Aitken when he was Aberdeen manager was in for Flo before he got xfered to Chelsea - memory tells me GBP750K although Chelsea paid 300K 

29 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

Roy Aitken when he was Aberdeen manager was in for Flo before he got xfered to Chelsea - memory tells me GBP750K although Chelsea paid 300K 

Not sure it was Flo, but Hermann Hreiðarsson that Aitken was after (think we even had him on trial) but were not prepared to pay (what was then considered) a pretty reasonable transfer fee

27 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

And he actually did "OK " at Rangers too.  Just not £12M worth!!

Aye was his goals to game ratio not actually pretty decent?

The huge price tag and Celtic winning the treble the year he signed made his spell look a lot worse.

4 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

The huge price tag and Celtic winning the treble the year he signed made his spell look a lot worse.

Something like 1 in 2 IIRC, but I think he was ultimately signed for doing the business in Europe (which at the time seemed to take on greater emphasis than trying to win the SPL Title), where I think his record is very poor.

3 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

He scored 13 in 22 the season he signed and 22 in 42 the season after.  That's slightly better than 1 in 2 which isn't too bad.  He was our top league scorer in his first season despite only signing late November and top again in his second season.  It was however a ridiculous amount to pay for him and due to that the expectation was huge.  The press would have been on his back and branding him a flop unless he'd scored a goal a game plus hatricks against Celtic.

4 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Something like 1 in 2 IIRC, but I think he was ultimately signed for doing the business in Europe (which at the time seemed to take on greater emphasis than trying to win the SPL Title), where I think his record is very poor.

According to wiki he didn't play any European games in the season he signed (we were probably out by then!!) and got 4 in 11 the following season.  3 of them were against Maribor in the CL Qualifiers though (which we failed to get by the next round).

6 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

According to wiki he didn't play any European games in the season he signed (we were probably out by then!!) and got 4 in 11 the following season. 

Probably cup tied with Chelsea, as wasn't that the season you dropped down into the UEFA Cup and put out by Kaiserslautern round about Christmas time?

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Probably cup tied with Chelsea, as wasn't that the season you dropped down into the UEFA Cup and put out by Kaiserslautern round about Christmas time?

Yeah I think so.  We'd started our Champs League campaign like a train pumping Sturm Graz 5-0 and beating Monaco away and then the wheels came off. Lost away to both Galatasaray and Graz and then drew 2-2 at Ibrox against Monaco with big Amoruso having the most Amoruso performance of his entire career! 

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Not sure it was Flo, but Hermann Hreiðarsson that Aitken was after (think we even had him on trial) but were not prepared to pay (what was then considered) a pretty reasonable transfer fee

definitely Tore Andre - now might have been scottish papers without substance

thing is - I always remember cos at time I was surprised that a player that aberdeen were looking at suddenly ended up at Chelsea - just checked and years are correct as well - Aitken was manager until 97 and this was when Flo went from Brann to Chelsea  

50 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

definitely Tore Andre - now might have been scottish papers without substance

thing is - I always remember cos at time I was surprised that a player that aberdeen were looking at suddenly ended up at Chelsea - just checked and years are correct as well - Aitken was manager until 97 and this was when Flo went from Brann to Chelsea  

Yes - it was Flo. Remember the article being reproduced on a blog a couple of years back on "transfers that got away" in Scottish football. Along with the aft quoted Ronaldinho/St Mirren article.