Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 86 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

8 hours ago, adamntg said:

Hearts were the last non-OF team Tom mount a real and proper league challenge.  Aberdeen have threatened to while Rangers were away but it never quite happened.  Once maybe  

But surely if you're suggesting Hibs and Hearts are the biggest underachievers in a Scottish football you're comparing them to all Scottish clubs, Aberdeen included.  

For the size of the city, Aberdeen should be pulling more through the gates than the Dundee clubs combined who're in a city just over half the size with another three championship and premiership clubs within 30 miles. 

When, exactly ?

11 hours ago, adamntg said:

Hearts were the last non-OF team Tom mount a real and proper league challenge.  Aberdeen have threatened to while Rangers were away but it never quite happened.  Once maybe  

But surely if you're suggesting Hibs and Hearts are the biggest underachievers in a Scottish football you're comparing them to all Scottish clubs, Aberdeen included.  

For the size of the city, Aberdeen should be pulling more through the gates than the Dundee clubs combined who're in a city just over half the size with another three championship and premiership clubs within 30 miles. 

If we don't, it must be pretty close.....

13 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

I assume he means the year Hearts had Burley in charge (and another load of managers after him) when they came 2nd to Celtic - it was the same year Hearts beat Gretna on penalties in the cup final.

Yep, 2006 was it?  They faded badly but at one point it looked like they might pull it off.

5 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Yep, 2006 was it?  They faded badly but at one point it looked like they might pull it off.

Wasn't it 10 wins and 1 draw from 11 games at the start if the season? 

Then Romanov sacked Burley and things began to unravel. Pressley, Gordon and Hartley came out and criticised Romanov and were sold/released, Craig Gordon was frozen out of the team and Hearts limped to the end of the season. 

33 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Wasn't it 10 wins and 1 draw from 11 games at the start if the season? 

Then Romanov sacked Burley and things began to unravel. Pressley, Gordon and Hartley came out and criticised Romanov and were sold/released, Craig Gordon was frozen out of the team and Hearts limped to the end of the season. 

Aye, I remember they started with 8 straight wins.  They came to Tannadice and murdered us 3-0 and they really looked like they could do it.

44 minutes ago, adamntg said:

It was aye. We played them at Tynecastle on New Years Day I think and Hearts were top, two nil up and we came back to win 3-2 and Hearts collapsed from there on in.

1 minute ago, Mox said:

It was aye. We played them at Tynecastle on New Years Day I think and Hearts were top, two nil up and we came back to win 3-2 and Hearts collapsed from there on in.

What a crazy day that was. Stephen perason came on at half time and changed the game.

Hearts weren't top though. I'm sure we were 4 points ahead going in to the match.

56 minutes ago, adamntg said:

From December onwards they were never anywhere near Celtic. Everyone thinks they came close to winning the league because they split the OF, but the reality is they finished 17 points behind Celtic.

Aberdeen have come much closer in the last 2 seasons to winning the league than any other non-OF side has in over 30 years.

But cheers for proving my point... ;)

28 minutes ago, Mox said:

Wasn't that the game where some Celtic fans dislike of Gordon came from? Because he came up for a corner near the end? 

The cheek!!! 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Wasn't that the game where some Celtic fans dislike of Gordon came from? Because he came up for a corner near the end? 

The cheek!!! 

No. That was later on in the season, the midweek game at CP when we clinched the title.

How dare Craig Gordon try and do his best for the club employing him at the time. It sickens me seeing him wear our jersey!!

45 minutes ago, Rossy said:

From December onwards they were never anywhere near Celtic. Everyone thinks they came close to winning the league because they split the OF, but the reality is they finished 17 points behind Celtic.

Aberdeen have come much closer in the last 2 seasons to winning the league than any other non-OF side has in over 30 years.

But cheers for proving my point... ;)

Aberdeen have been 15 and 17 points behind Celtic in the last two seasons,even in the absence of Rangers and with Ronny Deila in charge of Celtic.  

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Aberdeen have been 15 and 17 points behind Celtic in the last two seasons,even in the absence of Rangers and with Ronny Deila in charge of Celtic.  

Yup. Maybe if someone else actually managed to beat Celtic last season, we might have managed to get closer to them. 

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yup. Maybe if someone else actually managed to beat Celtic last season, we might have managed to get closer to them.

Loosely translated as...

Maybe if Aberdeen hadn't $hat their pants against teams that they should have been beating if they had actual pretentions of winning the league, we might have got closer to them.

1 minute ago, Marky said:

Loosely translated as...

Maybe if Aberdeen hadn't $hat their pants against teams that they should have been beating if they had actual pretentions of winning the league, we might have got closer to them.

Correct.

3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Yup, only 2 of the other 10 teams managed to beat Celtic. Congratulations to Motherwell on being one of them. 

1 minute ago, Marky said:

Loosely translated as...

Ahhh, the old Aberdeen not winning every game means they've sh@t their pants. :lol: 

Yup, only 2 of the other 10 teams managed to beat Celtic. Congratulations to Motherwell on being one of them.

Ahhh, the old Aberdeen not winning every game means they've sh@t their pants. :lol:

Oh come on Parkie, you can blame other teams for not beating Celtic, but you can't blame Aberdeen for not beating other teams? That's flawed logic.

Edited by Marky

Just now, Marky said:

Oh come on Parkie, you can blame other teams for not beating Celtic, but you can't blame Aberdeen for not eating other teams? That's flawed logic.

I'm not "blaming" anyone. It's a simple fact that Aberdeen are going to be unable to maintain the consistency over the course of a season to finish above Celtic, unless other sides are able to beat Celtic and help us out. 

We're going to have dips in form and some poor performances. Our first team squad last season consisted of about 16 players. One of which we lost in January when Liverpool recalled Danny Ward. We'll have injuries/suspensions/etc that we simply can't cope with. We had to play players out of position or poorer quality alternatives. This is obviously going to lead to us dropping points. 

Anyone slagging Aberdeen for not winning the league is a bit of a simpleton and clearly doesn't understand the massive advantages Celtic have over us. Worst of all, the guy slagging us supports Dundee Utd. What a fecking brassneck he's got! 

I'm not "blaming" anyone. It's a simple fact that Aberdeen are going to be unable to maintain the consistency over the course of a season to finish above Celtic, unless other sides are able to beat Celtic and help us out.

We're going to have dips in form and some poor performances. Our first team squad last season consisted of about 16 players. One of which we lost in January when Liverpool recalled Danny Ward. We'll have injuries/suspensions/etc that we simply can't cope with. We had to play players out of position or poorer quality alternatives. This is obviously going to lead to us dropping points.

Anyone slagging Aberdeen for not winning the league is a bit of a simpleton and clearly doesn't understand the massive advantages Celtic have over us. Worst of all, the guy slagging us supports Dundee Utd. What a fecking brassneck he's got!

To be honest I only said it response to your comment about other teams not beating Celtic. I agree it's difficult to maintain that standard all season on your budget.

I guess neither you nor I will ever know whether Aberdeen "$hat it" or not, but you have to concede that they lost totally winnable games at crucial times towards the end of the season, often when Celtic had just slipped up and you had the opportunity to turn the screw. In a footballing context it has to be accepted that results such as those are often regarded as evidence of $hiting it. Either that or just a massive coincidence.

No one wanted Aberdeen to do it more than me I can assure you, but in my opinion (and it's just that) they bottled it when it really mattered.

2 minutes ago, Marky said:

To be honest I only said it response to your comment about other teams not beating Celtic. I agree it's difficult to maintain that standard all season on your budget.

I guess neither you nor I will ever know whether Aberdeen "$hat it" or not, but you have to concede that they lost totally winnable games at crucial times towards the end of the season, often when Celtic had just slipped up and you had the opportunity to turn the screw. In a footballing context it has to be accepted that results such as those are often regarded as evidence of $hiting it. Either that or just a massive coincidence.

There are 2 games all season where we let ourselves down, both of them were over Christmas. Home draws to ICT and Partick when (i think) we had the chance to go top (although Celtic would have had a game in hand, i think). 

Every single time Aberdeen dropped points folk said we'd bottled it. No one references us beating Celtic with just 10 men or us beating them or our other victory vs them, or us going on an 8 game winning run, including wins at Tanndice and Tynecastle. 

It's just a bit tedious TBH and comes mainly from folk who've never kicked a baw in their puff. 

2 minutes ago, Marky said:

No one wanted Aberdeen to do it more than me I can assure you

I can assure you that many, many people did.