Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 89 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

48 minutes ago, Parklife said:

What it does show is the gross incompetence of the scouting departments at every single EPL side. 

A month ago i'd have been staggered at Celtic getting £10 million for him. So if they get over 3 times that then that's some bit of business for them.

Horrific for Scottish football as a whole though. 

This. It is genuinely staggering that a player who was had been playing in England for a few years (a couple of miles from where it looks like he is now headed to) can go from being a free transfer to a £40m player on the back of half a season's worth of goals in a 'pub league.' A competent Chairman/CEO would be asking tough questions of those responsible for talent spotting in a lot of clubs, not just Fulham and West Ham. If it happens, it has to be one of the best deals financially ever by a Scottish club.

15 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

This. It is genuinely staggering that a player who was had been playing in England for a few years (a couple of miles from where it looks like he is now headed to) can go from being a free transfer to a £40m player on the back of half a season's worth of goals in a 'pub league.' A competent Chairman/CEO would be asking tough questions of those responsible for talent spotting in a lot of clubs, not just Fulham and West Ham. If it happens, it has to be one of the best deals financially ever by a Scottish club.

From memory Spurs had agreed to sign Dembele this time last year. However late in the day Fulham insisted on him being loaned back to them for the remainder of the season. Spurs refused so the deal fell through. I was surprised that Spurs never went back in for him in the summer. 

Think it has to go down as one of the best deals ever by any club, if it goes through. Making a low risk signing, low fee signing and then making a £35 million plus profit in just 6 months? 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Think it has to go down as one of the best deals ever by any club, if it goes through. Making a low risk signing, low fee signing and then making a £35 million plus profit in just 6 months? 

Is he even that good?

£30 million would get you someone proven at the top level, rather than someone that looked good against Kilmarnock and Motherwell.

:lol:

Suppose they are buying the potential.

Liam Boyce or Louis Moult would be cheaper and are the finished article....

:P

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

From memory Spurs had agreed to sign Dembele this time last year. However late in the day Fulham insisted on him being loaned back to them for the remainder of the season. Spurs refused so the deal fell through. I was surprised that Spurs never went back in for him in the summer. 

I think Spurs agreed GBP 6-7M - was the cross border thing for young players that allowed Celtic to sign for 0.5M

guess Fulham will get development fee - I imagine they assumed 1 of the english clubs would have signed him last summer, and they still got decent fee but Celtic caught them out same as they did signing Joe Ledley (Cardiff) and Matthews ( Notts Forest ) 

1 hour ago, giblet said:

Yup. Last thing Scottish football needs is Celtic getting more income.  Getting to point where it's not even remotely a sporting contest.

The point where it was even remotely a sporting contest was somewhere before the turn of the millennium.

Edited by adamntg

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Is he even that good?

£30 million would get you someone proven at the top level, rather than someone that looked good against Kilmarnock and Motherwell.

Also my thinking. Although i've not seen all that much of him. I'm assuming the folk prepared to spend this kind of cash on him have watched him extensively and will be a better judge of a player than me! :lol: 

1 hour ago, giblet said:

Good transfer window for you lot.

We will see, thought that when we bought in 11 in 2006 and most of them were awful.

Certainly lots of players in which was what was needed, although Cathro needs the team to gel pretty quick or the season will be over.

Most excited to see Goncalves and Tziolis tomorrow night.

8 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

What real difference does it make if Celtic have £20m more than other clubs or £60m? In the Scottish league it pretty much means f@ck all.

The only team it really affects is Rangers as it increases the gap they need to bridge.

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

The only team it really affects is Rangers as it increases the gap they need to bridge.

:lol: 

Rangers who're running at a massive loss? 

I suggest Rangers will be more interested in bridging the gap to Aberdeen first. 

18 minutes ago, hannibal smith said:

We will see, thought that when we bought in 11 in 2006 and most of them were awful.

Certainly lots of players in which was what was needed, although Cathro needs the team to gel pretty quick or the season will be over.

Most excited to see Goncalves and Tziolis tomorrow night.

Are they both match fit?  I saw one of the Greek's hadn't played for a bit.

I've been very impressed with Dembele from that I have seen this season. He can finish with either foot and it pretty strong in the air too. He also looks strong as an ox, as Macy says above, the last 10 mins v Rangers at Ibrox they just couldn't knock him off the ball, one of the best "running down the clock" performances I have seen. He is also only 20 so you would imagine he will only get better. An absolute steal at 350-500k or 1/3rd of a Joey Garner or whatever was paid for him. 

While anything above £30m is absolutely mental in terms of transfer fee for him and I think Celtic would find impossible to resist, I wonder if he, at this stage of his career, would want to go? Irrespective of the fee paid, would he start for Chelsea? Batshuyai is a very similar player to him, had a good season in France last year, and hasn't had a kick all season due to Costa's form. And even if Costa left in the summer, would Chelsea trust a 20 year old as their starting centre forward?

If he continues to do as he has done, in Scotland and in Europe, the move will be there for him come the summer, come a seasons time. It must be hard to turn down massive wage rises and signing for a club like Chelsea but I wonder if its in his best interests football wise right now?

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Also my thinking. Although i've not seen all that much of him. I'm assuming the folk prepared to spend this kind of cash on him have watched him extensively and will be a better judge of a player than me! :lol: 

I watched a few of his games for France U21s a few months back and he was cracking. Whether he's worth that kind of money is anyones guess. I'd say it's a huge risk for Chelsea but sadly one they can afford.

32 minutes ago, hannibal smith said:

Goncalves is match fit, he has scored played twice in the last week and scored in both.

Don't think Tziolis or Avlonitis have played much this season.

Struna hadn't played for about 6 months before the game against Raith at Starks Park, Avlontis hasn't played at all this season, and Tziolis' last game was for Greece in Ootober. A lot of new players, but in truth we've little or no idea how good most of them are, and Cathro has to pull together a lot of players very quickly. In general I think it is sensible to be wary of players available in the January window, time will tell if Cathro had done good business here. Also wonder if one or two may head out of the club today, it's a big squad now, the wage bill needs controlled.

Edited by Pool Q

32 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I've been very impressed with Dembele from that I have seen this season. He can finish with either foot and it pretty strong in the air too. He also looks strong as an ox, as Macy says above, the last 10 mins v Rangers at Ibrox they just couldn't knock him off the ball, one of the best "running down the clock" performances I have seen. He is also only 20 so you would imagine he will only get better. An absolute steal at 350-500k or 1/3rd of a Joey Garner or whatever was paid for him. 

While anything above £30m is absolutely mental in terms of transfer fee for him and I think Celtic would find impossible to resist, I wonder if he, at this stage of his career, would want to go? Irrespective of the fee paid, would he start for Chelsea? Batshuyai is a very similar player to him, had a good season in France last year, and hasn't had a kick all season due to Costa's form. And even if Costa left in the summer, would Chelsea trust a 20 year old as their starting centre forward?

If he continues to do as he has done, in Scotland and in Europe, the move will be there for him come the summer, come a seasons time. It must be hard to turn down massive wage rises and signing for a club like Chelsea but I wonder if its in his best interests football wise right now?

I stopped reading at "as Macy says....."!!