Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 123 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I'd be surprised if they got him for anything like that. He got back in the first team by the end of an injury plagued season, I'd think they'd be holding out for considerably more.

Out of contract next summer too. 

On 18/06/2017 at 9:31 AM, vanderark14 said:

Leicester was a freak and it won't happen again in our lifetime, Leicester are also a very well run club compared to Sunderland. Sunderland are in mountains of debt, they need to sell to stay alive this season.

sleeping giant? Where's the evidence to prove this? Any time I see Sunderland on tv their ground is half empty......derby matches are the exception. Both they and Newcastle keep being referred to as sleeping giants, why? What is it they have won or done to make them so?

if they genuinely were a sleeping giant, a new manager would need time to rebuild, he ain't getting that at Sunderland.

they sold 28000 season tickets last season, not 40,000. Granted the support is still bigger than the dons, that can't be argued against. 

i read posts elsewhere that Sunderland have to give away thousands of tickets to get people through the gate. One post was from a Mackem and another post was from a wearside based dons fan. 

The only benefit to Mcinnes going there would have been a bigger bank balance. His reputation would have been wrecked because its all about instant success in England. The amount of managers sacked every year proves this, There's too much money at stake.

people can say he lacks the balls to take on this job, I don't see it that way, Mcinnes made the correct decision for his career. Taking the Sunderland job would have been beyond being a monumental task, it's an impossible task right now. 

Im not stupid enough to think Mcinnes did this for his love of Aberdeen, he does love working at the club but I'm also certain that had this been a well run club in England knocking on his door, he would have taken it and rightly so. 

You described Sunderland as a yoyo club,  they were 10 years in the Premier League prior to relegation. 

As for doing nothing, they are one of England's more successful clubs, granted that came mostly in the 1890's and 1900's, I do accept that most Sky fan boys that believe football was invented in 1992 won't see that as terribly relevant. 

4 hours ago, Chief said:

You described Sunderland as a yoyo club,  they were 10 years in the Premier League prior to relegation. 

As for doing nothing, they are one of England's more successful clubs, granted that came mostly in the 1890's and 1900's, I do accept that most Sky fan boys that believe football was invented in 1992 won't see that as terribly relevant. 

haha. Telt.

4 hours ago, Chief said:

Your point would stand up if they hadn't won the 2nd tier 5 times (so presumably been relegated at least 6 times) since they last won a major honour in the 70s, there only major honour since before the war.

:lol:

4 hours ago, Chief said:

20 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

haha. Telt.

really? telt? I can assure you i'm no fan of sky or the premier league. most of their success came when football was an entirely different game in the 1900s, to compare that to the modern game is, well its pretty stupid. 

Anyway, my point was pretty easy to understand, the current sunderland team and the state of the club means this was a good decision for Mcinnes if he really has any ambition. 

8 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Your point would stand up if they hadn't won the 2nd tier 5 times (so presumably been relegated at least 6 times) since they last won a major honour in the 70s, there only major honour since before the war.

exactly, they've done nothing in recent times to suggest they are attractive to any manager, they are in a mountain of debt and there's the possibility of an ownership change. Why would Mcinnes want it?

23 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

In terms of honours, they do put Newcastle in the shade; on paper, Middlesbrough with a UEFA cup final, FA cup final and League cup are the most successful club in the north east post-war. :P

Which war are you talking about?

Since WW2 Newcastle have won the Uefa cup (or Equivalent) in the late 60s, won the FA cup 3 times and been runner's up a further 3 times...I would have said that is more successful than Middlesbrough no?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

really? telt? I can assure you i'm no fan of sky or the premier league. most of their success came when football was an entirely different game in the 1900s, to compare that to the modern game is, well its pretty stupid. 

Anyway, my point was pretty easy to understand, the current sunderland team and the state of the club means this was a good decision for Mcinnes if he really has any ambition. 

exactly, they've done nothing in recent times to suggest they are attractive to any manager, they are in a mountain of debt and there's the possibility of an ownership change. Why would Mcinnes want it?

Different challenge? 

8 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

Which war are you talking about?

Since WW2 Newcastle have won the Uefa cup (or Equivalent) in the late 60s, won the FA cup 3 times and been runner's up a further 3 times...I would have said that is more successful than Middlesbrough no?

My Wikipedia research wasn't extensive.

Lets make it the gulf war, so I'm still right.

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Different challenge? 

Why bother with it just because it's different?

1. There's mountains of debt

2. The current owners wanted him but are also trying to sell the club, the ne wieners may not want Mcinnes. 

3. Sunderland aren't a great attraction for players.

the odds are heavily stacked against any manager who takes the job.

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Why bother with it just because it's different?

1. There's mountains of debt

2. The current owners wanted him but are also trying to sell the club, the ne wieners may not want Mcinnes. 

3. Sunderland aren't a great attraction for players.

the odds are heavily stacked against any manager who takes the job.

Absolutely. Almost seems similar to the position Bolton found themselves in and that wasn't good for Lennon. There is potential there to bounce back up though with greater rewards than staying at Aberdeen. 

My mate and his laddie are big Sunderland fans, both come from the North East of England. They both think that there is as much, if not more, chance of Sunderland getting out of Championship at the end of the season by ending up in League 1 as by ending up in EPL. Whoever takes that job is on a hiding to nothing.

3 hours ago, slasher said:

What kind of money we talking here Dave?

one of my mates texted today that he was on around £1800 a week at Ross county and was now getting £8000 a week at Burton Albion. I'd be astonished if either of those figures were correct though. 

14 minutes ago, dave said:

one of my mates texted today that he was on around £1800 a week at Ross county and was now getting £8000 a week at Burton Albion. I'd be astonished if either of those figures were correct though. 

I heard a x4 week increase - so might be possible.

15 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Putting it in an Aberdeen context for you

"I can assure you i'm no fan of sky or the premier league. most of their success came when football was an entirely different game in the 1980s, to compare that to the modern game is, well its pretty stupid. "

I bet you think the 'modern game' started when aberdeen won a few trophies.

9 hours ago, dave said:

Jeez, the baws bust! To be fair I hadn't realised Burton were in the Championship. Other than keeping track of Scotland players I really don't pay any attention to English football.