Iron Horse - Page 2 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Iron Horse

15 hours ago, jenblueeyes said:

It's quite simple....the Iron Horse is the home of WESTA so when folks come on calling for the place to be torn down, I have an opinion.

Which it appears you are allowed and noone else is.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Parklife said:

Yeah, i've no problem with you having an opinion. It's you who's having a pop at folk for voicing an opinion :) 

As you pointed out sweetie...it's a messageboard so I'm perfectly entitled to voice an opinion about others voicing an opinion.....

Or would you rather I just sit here quietly in a corner not joining in on a discussion??

1 hour ago, Boynze said:

its the whole westa GFITW tartan army elite pish that i cant stand about that shitey boozer, 

I have genuinely no idea what that means but I'm guessing it's a pop at WESTA.  

I don't know who you are so I can't tell if

• you are one of the 140+ members WESTA currently have,
  • have attended any of our monthly meetings (last Sunday of the month unless there's a game on; upstairs in the Iron Horse; all welcome);
  • have been on any of the hundreds of bus journeys arranged for members since the club was formed almost 20 years ago;
  • attended any of our events or
  • indeed benefited from any of the charity donations made by the club

- or are basing your perception on no actual experience of the club.

But - as I said earlier on in the thread - it's not compulsory to go to the Iron Horse. There are plenty other pubs to choose from if it's not your kind of place - you'll often find WESTA members drinking in other pubs in the city on match day simply because IH is too busy.

12 hours ago, jenblueeyes said:

As you pointed out sweetie...it's a messageboard so I'm perfectly entitled to voice an opinion about others voicing an opinion.....

Or would you rather I just sit here quietly in a corner not joining in on a discussion??

Dunno why you're being so defensive "sweetie" :lol: 

if folk think the iron horse is a shite pub then they're entitled to say so.  And, by the way, it's a shite pub :) 

On 14/05/2016 at 8:39 PM, Boynze said:

Still a complete shitehole full of scumbags.

On 15/05/2016 at 8:24 PM, Boynze said:

I do not lower myself to partake in the working classes's favourite past time. a nice up of earl grey for me thank you.

11 hours ago, Boynze said:

its the whole westa GFITW tartan army elite pish that i cant stand about that shitey boozer, 

And yet, we at WESTA think very highly of you.

WESTA welcomes members from all airts and pairts.

14 hours ago, jenblueeyes said:

I have genuinely no idea what that means but I'm guessing it's a pop at WESTA.  

I don't know who you are so I can't tell if

• you are one of the 140+ members WESTA currently have,
  • have attended any of our monthly meetings (last Sunday of the month unless there's a game on; upstairs in the Iron Horse; all welcome);
  • have been on any of the hundreds of bus journeys arranged for members since the club was formed almost 20 years ago;
  • attended any of our events or
  • indeed benefited from any of the charity donations made by the club

- or are basing your perception on no actual experience of the club.

But - as I said earlier on in the thread - it's not compulsory to go to the Iron Horse. There are plenty other pubs to choose from if it's not your kind of place - you'll often find WESTA members drinking in other pubs in the city on match day simply because IH is too busy.

the content and tone of your post kind of makes my point, self -congratulatory pish.

5 hours ago, Boynze said:

the content and tone of your post kind of makes my point, self -congratulatory pish.

Ah so...no actual experience of the club.  Good stuff - glad we've cleared that up.

3 hours ago, Debian said:

It is a bit of a shithole to be honest.

Agreed. There certainly are better pubs out there, but worse pubs also!

Although the Iron Horse is the only place I have seen German fans on Karaoke belt out the worst ever/most comical rendition of "who let the dogs out" - that was a sight worth seeing :lol: 

As a matter of interest what makes it a shithole? In my eyes it a bar, reasonably priced, you get served quick enough, grubs OK. I don't mind going in for a pint even when it's not a match day. 

16 minutes ago, bonzo said:

As a matter of interest what makes it a shithole? In my eyes it a bar, reasonably priced, you get served quick enough, grubs OK. I don't mind going in for a pint even when it's not a match day. 

I would have to say the lack of free Tapas and not having Po*f juice on tap, has clearly lead to some of our more genteel contributors to consider it a shithole.

I on the other hand, like the fact that it is a real no frills pub, as it keeps pretentious wan*ers like that, away from it.

19 minutes ago, Grumpyauldgit said:

I would have to say the lack of free Tapas and not having Po*f juice on tap, has clearly lead to some of our more genteel contributors to consider it a shithole.

I on the other hand, like the fact that it is a real no frills pub, as it keeps pretentious wan*ers like that, away from it.

Seconded :ok:

On 20/05/2016 at 8:45 AM, Grumpyauldgit said:

They do Birra Morretti now :beer2:

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:45 AM, Grumpyauldgit said:

I now have another reason for avoiding the place - this khunt.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 1:56 AM, Boynze said:

shitehole, and a horrible block, tear the whole building down and put up.something more worthwhile than a place where people go to slowly kill themselves.

3 hours ago, Boynze said:

I now have another reason for avoiding the place - this khunt.

what do you do for fun when not bringing joy to the world?

Dreadful place. Used it a couple of times many years ago before getting the train at Queen Street for away days - the early opening was the only thing it had going for it. A false memory but I have a picture in my head of the 'chef' rustling up some square slice with a fag hanging out of his mouth and a dish towel over his shoulder.

• 2 weeks later...

Found the Iron Horse to be fine for a beer on match days, think I've been twice, but haven't been on any other occasions. 

As for the blue lagoon, I haven't been back since I bought a fish supper there, before the 1995 Greece game, which caused me to be sick in the Hampden toilets just before the game started but it didn't stop me seeing Super Ally getting the winner!

What a night that was, school during the day, couldn't concentrate in any subject due to thinking and talking about the game, then a rush to get home and changed before getting the train to central, then the low level to Mount Florida, singing all the way there and all the way back to my bed, before school the next day. 

Seems like supporting Scotland then was so much better than recent times. 

The Iron Horse is pish. Nothing to do with WESTA as they were based in Sports Cafe for a good while. Sports Cafe was pish to mind you.

Outside football it's pretty jakey and the food is basic. During football it's far too busy. Always a bit depressing when you see kids in there as its not the best place for them, loads of pissed up old men. Same music, same people who don't know Glasgow doing the same thing.

It's not as pish as Lauders though. That's the bottom line. Alfredos can be jakey but on a match its better and quieter than Iron Horse.

That area does not offer that many decent pubs. The Raven is close by which is prob best. Drum & Monkey does good ales but further away.