Ray McKinnon - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I think the point being made is that United fans have, in the past, whinged about other clubs using this technique. 

Now that their club is doing it and others are pointing it out, it's suddenly ok, as it's  club doing it.

I think the hypocrisy is irritating some folk.

Personally I don't care what the diddy league clubs do. ?

Doing what exactly?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor show by utd in their pursuit of our manager in the middle of our biggest games of the season.It definitely affected us but whether it was enough for us to get beat i dont know but it did affect the players

McKinnon has got a pretty decent record managing in the lower divisions - Lochee United, Brechin and the Rovers. If he takes the Dundee United job I think he will be staying in the lower divisions for a while. He would be better staying at Raith until he gets a better offer.

Edited by Orraloon

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

McKinnon has got a pretty decent record managing in the lower divisions - Lochee United, Brechin and the Rovers. If he takes the Dundee United job I think he will be staying in the lower divisions for a while. He would be better staying at Raith until he gets a better offer.

You could be right.  It won't be any easy job and it's been the ruin of many a young manager.  In fact, only Levein has left for bigger things.  

However, you could say the same for most clubs and most managerial appointments. Most of them ultimately end in failure. 

But if you don't try, why be a manager at all?

Repetition of "done things by the book" doesn't make it so ;)

Anyway, i've been drawn in to more of a discussion on this than i intended. I think Utd have behaved poorly, their fans don't. Let's move on :ok: 

Mind Aberdeen unsettled Mark McGhee and Craig Brown when he was still at Aberdeen so Aberdeen fans to slagging of way Utd have moved for McKinnon is a cheek.  If McKinnon really wants to go to Utd he will lets be honest.  Bigger club, bigger Budget and better wages for him and his family gone are the days where someone stay at a club for less wages etc.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Repetition of "done things by the book" doesn't make it so ;)

Anyway, i've been drawn in to more of a discussion on this than i intended. I think Utd have behaved poorly, their fans don't. Let's move on :ok: 

You are trying to find outrage where there is none. Raith fans will be disappointed if he goes - still no confirmation - I get that. But others on here are just looking for a reason to bad mouth the club which reflects poorly on them.

As Adam says - there has been reason for that in the past but little on this occasion, unless of course you really want there to be. 

47 minutes ago, Geed said:

Mind Aberdeen unsettled Mark McGhee and Craig Brown when he was still at Aberdeen so Aberdeen fans to slagging of way Utd have moved for McKinnon is a cheek.  If McKinnon really wants to go to Utd he will lets be honest.  Bigger club, bigger Budget and better wages for him and his family gone are the days where someone stay at a club for less wages etc.

Should have read he was still at Motherwell above when Aberdeen were poaching motherwell managers and players and unsettling them

Many United fans were outraged last year at Celtic's behaviour when signing Armstrong and GMS.  Not me, Celtic have an obligation to get the best players they can, and if that's the players they want then that's the way of the football world.  

I was raging at United for selling them though.

8 minutes ago, Geed said:

Should have read he was still at Motherwell above when Aberdeen were poaching motherwell managers and players and unsettling them

Surely not? Are you sure it was Aberdeen  - or maybe just their friends in the press? You know how those "off the record press briefings " can work. ;)

7 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Surely not? Are you sure it was Aberdeen  - or maybe just their friends in the press? You know how those "off the record press briefings " can work. ;)

ha ha :>)

3 hours ago, Geed said:

Mind Aberdeen unsettled Mark McGhee

Mark McGhee wasn't unsettled by Aberdeen. He'd already spent weeks whoring himself out for the Celtic job :lol: 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Mark McGhee wasn't unsettled by Aberdeen. He'd already spent weeks whoring himself out for the Celtic job :lol: 

He'd effectively stepped down as Motherwell manager anyway, he hadn't bothered signing anybody for the next season that started in early July (v Llanelli at Airdrie :shocked: )

Aberdeen and Craig Brown were a bit underhand, but my beef with McGhee going to Aberdeen was with McGhee, not Aberdeen.

3 hours ago, McTeeko said:

SSN just reporting that 'talks are ongoing' and things are 'very much 50/50' that he will take over at Tannadice. 

45 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

not as much a stick on to move as was expected yesterday - the daily Record describing talks held yesterday ended in stalemate.

Can understand that. It's a big challenge and he has probably now got the full picture from a money point of view too. Would imagine you would want time to think about a move like that.

12 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Can understand that. It's a big challenge and he has probably now got the full picture from a money point of view too. Would imagine you would want time to think about a move like that.

Prob a few other factros as well - at us, he has the bulk of a squad signed up for next season - at United, only 6 players will be left under cotnract? complete rebuild required....

secondly, if he doesnt fancy united, there seems to be others after him as well

I'm crossing my fingers he stays for another season - we could really challenge next year under him.

3 hours ago, AberdeenAngus said:

1. Would McKinnon turning the job down be seen as a very worrying development? Don't think that will happen.

As opposed to all the good news we've had recently?

2-0 Jags I see.  You have to laugh.