Ray McKinnon - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utd have been classless in the way they've handled this IMO. 

Making it clear they wanted McKinnon last week, when Rovers were in the middle of 2 massive games,. Then making a formal approach on Saturday, the same day Rovers lost the play-off. 

Poor show. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Utd have been classless in the way they've handled this IMO. 

Making it clear they wanted McKinnon last week, when Rovers were in the middle of 2 massive games,. Then making a formal approach on Saturday, the same day Rovers lost the play-off. 

Poor show. 

That's a little harsh.  They said nothing officially until Rovers were knocked out, then made a formal approach.

Did they brief the press?  There were no quotes, and McKinnon was the obvious candidate so it's hardly surprising the papers were banging on about him.  Unless you know how they "made it clear" I'm not sure what you would have had them do?

As for the appointment, it's as likely to work as any other managerial appointment, i.e. not very, but you never know.  With a whole new squad he may at least be able to remove the Angel of Doom that has hovered over Tannadice since Feb 2nd 2015.

2 minutes ago, adamntg said:

That's a little harsh.  They said nothing officially until Rovers were knocked out, then made a formal approach.

Did they brief the press?  There were no quotes, and McKinnon was the obvious candidate so it's hardly surprising the papers were banging on about him.  Unless you know how they "made it clear" I'm not sure what you would have had them do?

Every journalist on radio or print knew that they wanted McKinnon. It's pretty obvious to me that they had been briefed that McKinnon was number 1 target. 

They done this under the backdrop of Raith Rovers facing their biggest game in years. Then, as soon as Rovers were out and dealing with the disappointment of losing that tie, they also have to deal with the fact they'll also be losing their manager. 

Classless. Although, with Utd, that seems to be par for the course. 

Pretty obvious, but you don't know.  It's obvious to me that they waited for permission before speaking to him. 

They asked for permission to speak to Hughes and Wright last year and didn't get it. They play these things by the book so I think you're being unfair. 

36 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Every journalist on radio or print knew that they wanted McKinnon. It's pretty obvious to me that they had been briefed that McKinnon was number 1 target. 

They done this under the backdrop of Raith Rovers facing their biggest game in years. Then, as soon as Rovers were out and dealing with the disappointment of losing that tie, they also have to deal with the fact they'll also be losing their manager. 

I'm just waiting on our resident Utd fans going apeshit that their club have unsettled, then 'stolen' someone from a club with less resources than them. It's terrible for the game.......:)

In all seriousness it's a bold move by Utd, but I must say I've been impressed with Raith this term so fair play. McKinnon comes across as very likeable and clearly knows the game so be interesting to see how he does. 

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

They play these things by the book so I think you're being unfair. 

:lol: 

I vehemently disagree. There's a history of Utd acting like kunts to clubs they percieve to be smaller than themselves. 

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

As for the appointment, it's as likely to work as any other managerial appointment, i.e. not very, but you never know.  With a whole new squad he may at least be able to remove the Angel of Doom that has hovered over Tannadice since Feb 2nd 2015.

See the announcement that Utd made saying you had made an approach?

Was that not prior to permission to speak to him being granted?

Christian Dailly thinks Mixu deserved next season as well. Absolute proof that ex pros just defend everyone regardless of anything.

Mixu was useless, how anyone can think he deserved to stay is beyond me.

2 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

See the announcement that Utd made saying you had made an approach?

Was that not prior to permission to speak to him being granted?

it was prior to compensation being agreed but was after the playoff and factually correct. an approach had been made, but they certainly did nothing official last week so parklife is talking out of his ar*e on that one. they waited until the playoff was over.

whether the club has been whiter than white I cant prove but just because the press get some leak out of the club and spread it doesn't mean the club themselves have officially done anything wrong.

3 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

I'm just waiting on our resident Utd fans going apeshit that their club have unsettled, then 'stolen' someone from a club with less resources than them. It's terrible for the game.......:)

In all seriousness it's a bold move by Utd, but I must say I've been impressed with Raith this term so fair play. McKinnon comes across as very likeable and clearly knows the game so be interesting to see how he does. 

in all seriousness how did they unsettle him? and how have they stolen him when raith have agreed compo and allowed them to talk to him? nice try Angus.

people trying to make a mountain out of a molehill on this one. lets try and make utd look bad even though in fact they have acted ok this time? jees.

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

as mentioned above Parkie - talking out your arse. So what do we do, not ask Raith permission to speak to McKinnon because they have just lost the play off? aye ok then.

classless is more like trying to slag someone or something off when there doesn't really seem to be good cause.

47 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Christian Dailly thinks Mixu deserved next season as well. Absolute proof that ex pros just defend everyone regardless of anything.

Mixu was useless, how anyone can think he deserved to stay is beyond me.

spot on. though you probably would have supported him staying for another season? :)

1 minute ago, ShedTA said:

as mentioned above Parkie - talking out your arse. So what do we do, not ask Raith permission to speak to McKinnon because they have just lost the play off? aye ok then.

classless is more like trying to slag someone or something off when there doesn't really seem to be good cause.

You disagreeing doesn't mean that i am wrong :) 

7 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

absolutely agree with you on that one! however you are... :)

I think you'd view the situation very differently if, say, next season Utd are preparing for play-off games and Rangers (who've just lost Mark Warburton to Real Madrid) decide they want Ray McKinnon to replace him. 

You'd lose the plot and go on about them unsettling your manager. 

IMO the way Utd have handled this reflects poorly on them. However, as noted by others above, it's not the first time, so it's clear they don't really care. 

9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I think you'd view the situation very differently if, say, next season Utd are preparing for play-off games and Rangers (who've just lost Mark Warburton to Real Madrid) decide they want Ray McKinnon to replace him. 

You'd lose the plot and go on about them unsettling your manager. 

IMO the way Utd have handled this reflects poorly on them. However, as noted by others above, it's not the first time, so it's clear they don't really care. 

ok I get your point above and agree to an extent but the " Utd have handled this reflects poorly on them." doesn't really work as in official terms they have done it by the book.

Theres a lot of Utd bashing on this thread - I mean are we the new rangers or what?  wouldn't be so bad but we've just been relegated too so leave us alone FFS. :lol:

I've lost count of the amount of times I've read things on here about Rangers or Celtic "leaking things to their pals in the press to unsettle X, Y or Z".  Don't see anything different here in the way this has been handled.

4 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I've lost count of the amount of times I've read things on here about Rangers or Celtic "leaking things to their pals in the press to unsettle X, Y or Z".  Don't see anything different here in the way this has been handled.

Yup. 

7 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

so would you agree your club act like kunts and are classless?

48 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

it was prior to compensation being agreed but was after the playoff and factually correct. an approach had been made, but they certainly did nothing official last week so parklife is talking out of his ar*e on that one. they waited until the playoff was over.

whether the club has been whiter than white I cant prove but just because the press get some leak out of the club and spread it doesn't mean the club themselves have officially done anything wrong.

What's the difference between that, and a club having a bid rejected for a player and publicly announcing it.

e.g. Deidco releasing a statement saying "We have made an offer to Dundee Utd for David Goodwillie"?

Apart from that, I'd also suggest it is daft too. If you announce an approach and then don't get McKinnon, whoever you do get, knows they are very much 2nd choice.

5 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

What's the difference between that, and a club having a bid rejected for a player and publicly announcing it.

e.g. Deidco releasing a statement saying "We have made an offer to Dundee Utd for David Goodwillie"?

Apart from that, I'd also suggest it is daft too. If you announce an approach and then don't get McKinnon, whoever you do get, knows they are very much 2nd choice.

cove that's as maybe - the above is how most clubs seem to do it these days - but apparently utd are kunts for doing it. the original point was that it was before the play off.  entirely incorrect.

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

:lol: 

I vehemently disagree. There's a history of Utd acting like kunts to clubs they percieve to be smaller than themselves. 

Mon then I'll bite where is this history ,or are you just spouting your usual pish