Squad Announced Tomorrow - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Announced Tomorrow

TartanDave

37 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Hopefully Rhodes isn't tempted to sack off international fitbaw. The continual picking of Chris Martin is surprising given his obvious lack of ability to make the step up.

Completely agree. Ask anyone in Britain who they'd fancy to put a chance away when presented with one and high percentage would pick Rhodes over Martin - I bet many Derby fans would swap Martin for Rhodes if they got the choice. Not Strachan though, he knows what he likes and he likes what he knows. End of.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, clarky1606 said:

Completely agree. Ask anyone in Britain who they'd fancy to put a chance away when presented with one and high percentage would pick Rhodes over Martin - I bet many Derby fans would swap Martin for Rhodes if they got the choice. Not Strachan though, he knows what he likes and he likes what he knows. End of.

It's not because of his finishing that Rhodes isn't selected.

1 minute ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

It's not because of his finishing that Rhodes isn't selected.

I know there is far more too it than that but Rhodes is far from the only guilty party which has created the situation. He and Griffiths bang in goals season after season yet neither are selected?? 

If Rhodes had been given the same backing & minutes on the pitch in the last few years that Fletcher has had we would be much better off. I am certain of that. Its all opinions though.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd prefer to have had one of either Sam Nicholson, Jamie Walker or Kenny McLean in ahead of an ageing Shaun Maloney.

Why is Wallace in over Tierney ?

He decided to leave out Aberdeen and Celtic players apart from Mulgrew due to early returns for European games. Aberdeen's first match is on the 30th June.

12 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd prefer to have had one of either Sam Nicholson, Jamie Walker or Kenny McLean in ahead of an ageing Shaun Maloney.

Why is Wallace in over Tierney ?

Young boy just played his first full season at a pretty high level.  Maybe Strachan feels the lad deserves to have a break.

10 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

He decided to leave out Aberdeen and Celtic players apart from Mulgrew due to early returns for European games. Aberdeen's first match is on the 30th June.

Strange one to even include Mulgrew in that case? Guess he hasn't played much but then as he hasn't should he even be getting called up at all.

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Strange one to even include Mulgrew in that case? Guess he hasn't played much but then as he hasn't should he even be getting called up at all.

Yeah, think that seems to be the reason, give him some game time.

37 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Yeah, think that seems to be the reason, give him some game time.

same with Paterson I reckon. He got injured earlier this season, missed game time including the chance to play for Scotland in March. Hoping he gets the minutes needed in the next 2 games to show Strachan he is better then Hutton & Whitaker and deserves to be our new 1st choice RB going forward.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Mulgrew is out of contract at the end of the season and looks like he won't be a Celtic player next season, plus he is just back from a long lay off.

It will be interesting to see how Rhodes gets on in the EPL next season.  If he plays there and gets goals it will be hard to ignore him. I'm surprised by Martin's inclusion, he looks very good in the Championship but unfortunately I haven't seen anything that suggests he's good enough for international football, just shows our lack of options up front.  Of those who miss out I would say that Watt would probably be most disappointed because he looked quite good when he came. 

5 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

It will be interesting to see how Rhodes gets on in the EPL next season.  If he plays there and gets goals it will be hard to ignore him. I'm surprised by Martin's inclusion, he looks very good in the Championship but unfortunately I haven't seen anything that suggests he's good enough for international football, just shows our lack of options up front.  Of those who miss out I would say that Watt would probably be most disappointed because he looked quite good when he came. 

I'm pretty sure that Watt's injured.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'm pretty sure that Watt's injured.

Pretty valid reason then for his omission. It would be great to have some 18 or 19 year coming through but doesn't appear to be the case - I've not seen enough of Jason Cummings but I get the feeling from other people's comments that he's not the answer.  Burke looks like he could be a prospect but I'm not sure he's an out an out goalscorer.

Guest allyc

Strachan backs comments by pa broon saying we don't have players good enough for top level....shock,horror...stop the press.whilst this is true it can't be good for players to keep hearing this from their manager...we're shit and we know we are...

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Was he not a sub in the last game which makes me wonder what's going. Big signing and not starting in their last huge game.

Seems weird.

21 hours ago, clarky1606 said:

As we have come to expect its a very uninspiring squad which stinks of Strachan sticking to his quota of tall players over talented players. 

I bet the majority of Hull / Derby / Brighton / Hibs players will pull out after being involved in play offs.

How many call offs do we expect before the 1st game then folks? I think 6+

Is it the case that if teams make it to the play off finals in their respective leagues they will call off?

If so then McGinn, Martin, Snodgrass, Robertson etc likely call offs

12 hours ago, fringo said:

Was he not a sub in the last game which makes me wonder what's going. Big signing and not starting in their last huge game.

Seems weird.

I watched the game and the co-commentator - can't remember who it was - said that playing Nugent up on his own was a tactical move as he would basically do all the hard work and that Rhodes could come on later if required when the game had opened up a bit.  Remember, Boro only needed a draw in this game so it's understandable that they wanted to keep it tight  

Possibly explains why Strachan is reluctant to select him.

Its good that Boro gave gone up as it will give Rhodes an opportunity to prove whether he's the real deal or not. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Is it the case that if teams make it to the play off finals in their respective leagues they will call off?

If so then McGinn, Martin, Snodgrass, Robertson etc likely call offs

the championship play off final is 28th May so anyone who plays for those 2 teams certainly wont play vs. Italy and will likely pull out vs. France

Those who lose at semi final stage could still make both games but may claim fatigue/injury to get an extended summer break

McGinn could have play off final plus Scottish cup final to play before Italy / France games so again may pull out claiming fatigue/injury.

I think the squad announced yesterday will be very different to the one that travels to Malta in 2 weeks time.

46 minutes ago, aaid said:

I watched the game and the co-commentator - can't remember who it was - said that playing Nugent up on his own was a tactical move as he would basically do all the hard work and that Rhodes could come on later if required when the game had opened up a bit.  Remember, Boro only needed a draw in this game so it's understandable that they wanted to keep it tight  

Possibly explains why Strachan is reluctant to select him.

Its good that Boro gave gone up as it will give Rhodes an opportunity to prove whether he's the real deal or not. 

Fingers crossed its a positive season for Rhodes and he bangs a few goals in to give Strachan a headache - although you get the feeling Barcelona could sign him and Strachan would still play Steven Fletcher first.