Squad Announced Tomorrow - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Announced Tomorrow

TartanDave

32 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I am sure that whoever wins the cup and is in Europe next season will get the same treatment as Celtic and Aberdeen.

IMO its better to name the 3 players involved in the cup final in the original squad to make them aware they are in his thoughts and plans and then subsequently leave them out later on than completely ignore all 3 and then call up either McGinn or Wallace and Mackay post cup final. Calling them up after the event, after other drop outs, makes it look like they are second choice where as with the squad he has named this time, they clearly aren't. He obviously named Hull, Derby and Sheff Wed players in the original squad too knowing he was going to lose some of them.

I agree with much of this but Strachan should have spoken to the Hibs and Rangers management. I have high hopes for Mackay and McGinn - a good relationship between the Scotland set up and their clubs would help.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 11:13 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Warburton has said he was unhappy about Aberdeen and Celtic getting "special treatment" from Strachan and made a veiled hint that he might withdraw both Wallace and Mackay.

Arrogant pwick. 

He's arrogant because he wants the same treatment for themselves and hibs as the other euro clubs got?

Especially when pre-season fitness schedules and break times would already have been set with doctors and Strachan wouldn't even bother to give him or Stubbs a phone call.

If this is arrogant then what would you call Strachan for withdrawing all Celtic players for the Kirin cup squads in 2006 to play in meaningless testimonial games?

If he did withdraw them (and its a big if) considering he actually only spoke about having conversations with both doctors, Strachan would be the last man to have any sort of moral high ground on the issue.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

BBC Gossip column;

Swansea City left-back Stephen Kingsley is poised to be called into the Scotland squad for friendlies against France and Italy after Andy Robertson reached the Premier League play-off final with Hull City. (The Sun, print edition)

Updated squad -

Goalkeepers

Scott Fox (Ross County)
Jack Hamilton (Heart of Midlothian)
David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Defenders

Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town)
Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion)
Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers)
Stephen Kingsley (Swansea City)
Russell Martin (Norwich City)
Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)
Callum Paterson (Heart of Midlothian)
Andrew Robertson (Hull City - France only)

Midfielders

Ikechi Anya (Watford)
Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday - France only)
Craig Bryson (Derby County)
Oliver Burke (Nottinghaam Forest)
Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion)
Shaun Maloney (Hull City - France only)
James McArthur (Crystal Palace)
John McGinn (Hibernian)
Barrie McKay (Rangers)
Matt Phillips (Queens Park Rangers)
Matt Ritchie (Bournemouth)
Robert Snodgrass (Hull City - France only)

Forwards

Steven Fletcher (Sunderland*)
Ross McCormack (Fulham)
Steven Naismith (Norwich City)

* on loan at Olympique Marseille

We are going to get smashed in both games.  I'd really glad I'm not going to either of these matches. 

At least we're not totally denied the services of Bannan, Snoddy and Robertson.

Strachan really should backtrack on resting the Celtic players and get Gordon, Griffiths and Tierney in there for both games. Sadly don't think he has the nerve to do so.

It's a bugger that the League One play off final is on the 29th and as such we can't call up Jordan Archer as one of the replacement goalies. 

Aye - I'm surprised that Wallace missed the game as I doubt if he was injured? 

Wallace had a chance tae impress in the very competitive left-back spot for Alba and I don't think he'll get much shot in the future unless there's a long injury list.

I don't know why certain Celtic players are being rested - it's not as if they had a gruelling season and missing out the EURO, we are owed a decent win over either Italy or France at least tae boost our morales?  

10 minutes ago, OFlowerofScotland said:

Wallace had a chance tae impress in the very competitive left-back spot for Alba and I don't think he'll get much shot in the future unless there's a long injury list.

I don't know why certain Celtic players are being rested - it's not as if they had a gruelling season and missing out the EURO, we are owed a decent win over either Italy or France at least tae boost our morales?  

The reason for no Celtic players is cause their first Champions League qualifier is in early July.

17 minutes ago, OFlowerofScotland said:

Wallace has a big gash on his leg I believe. He doesn't want to risk it getting  worse and impacting pre-season.

Just now, theweestevie said:

It would be 5 weeks after the Scotland games so they would be back for preseason a few weeks after the friendlies so don't  get a decent spell to rest.

I'd call a few weeks a decent rest and without being long enough to get unfit again, so less need for rigorous preseason.

1 minute ago, theweestevie said:

True, maybe I shouldn't project my recovery times on  professionals :)

:lol:

And have they got anyone playing in the Euros ? What will they do ?

Also, what about the majority of their team/squad who aren't Scotland players ?

Will they not also be postponing one their 1st or 2nd league game to play an lucrative friendly somewhere ?

Seems very soft & kind by Strachan although it's good to give other guys a shot.

I also think this sort of think is another argument for a 2-3 week winter break.

14 hours ago, theweestevie said:

Wallace has a big gash on his leg I believe. He doesn't want to risk it getting  worse and impacting pre-season.

Thought he was retiring after his near death experience