Labour & Plaid tied for Welsh First Minister - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Labour & Plaid tied for Welsh First Minister

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-36269820

After seventeen years of Labour Government in Wales, it appears that it's beginning to fall apart. Carwyn Jones and Leanne Wood are tied on 29 AMs each to become the next First Minister there.

Jones had the support of the 28 Labour AMs and the one Lib Dem, Wood had the support of the 11 Plaid AMs, 11 Conservative AMs and the 7 UKIP AMs.

If the Assembly doesn't elect someone before 2nd June, there shall be another election in Wales.

Edited by Clyde1998

12 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-36269820

After seventeen years of Labour Government in Wales, it appears that it's beginning to fall apart. Carwyn Jones and Leanne Wood are tied on 29 AMs each to become the next First Minister there.

Jones had the support of the 28 Labour AMs and the one Lib Dem, Wood had the support of the 11 Plaid AMs, 11 Conservative AMs and the 7 UKIP AMs.

If the Assembly doesn't elect someone before 2nd June, there shall be another election in Wales.

I'm sure the Lib Dem person can be persuaded to switch sides Shouldn't take much. Free bag o' chips for their dinner or something like that.

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm sure the Lib Dem person can be persuaded to switch sides Shouldn't take much. Free bag o' chips for their dinner or something like that.

The Lib Dem seems pretty certain that they'll back Labour in any case.

Another election could be very interesting with all the fallout from this.

26 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

The Lib Dem seems pretty certain that they'll back Labour in any case.

Another election could be very interesting with all the fallout from this.

I'm not sure that Plaid getting into bed with the Tories and UKIP is the best long term move?

20 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm not sure that Plaid getting into bed with the Tories and UKIP is the best long term move?

I think it was the case that Plaid put Wood forward as their nomination and the Tories and UKIP voted for her to give Labour a bloody nose. It could the end up that there will be a deal between Labour and Plaid, with Wood as Depute First Minister.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

I think it was the case that Plaid put Wood forward as their nomination and the Tories and UKIP voted for her to give Labour a bloody nose. It could the end up that there will be a deal between Labour and Plaid, with Wood as Depute First Minister.

Might be the best way forward for Plaid that.  Get a foothold in government and start to put some pressure on Labour, show themselves as being competent. 

Mind that episode of the Simpsons where Bart sold his soul on a piece of paper for a dollar only to massively regret it after suffering a series of increasingly bad mishaps and misfortunes. He reversed his folly by finally regaining the piece of paper with the soul transaction on it and swallowing it.

Well Bart's predicament then is the labour party's now (after Tony Blair sold off their soul and they all looked the other way for all the trough wallowing to come).

Corbyn has been installed to right the wrongs but where is the piece of paper Tony sold and did Corbyn re-swallow it?

No Tony ate it and shat it out into George Bush's mouth. The end.

Edited by thplinth

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Might be the best way forward for Plaid that.  Get a foothold in government and start to put some pressure on Labour, show themselves as being competent. 

Plaid were junior partners to Labour in 2007 were they not?

It has certainly all been kicking off today at welsh assembly 

Archknut NeilHamilton did  a  coup on the welsh UKIP leader.   Doubtless after farage's position too

Then Leanne scores this draw with CarwynJones.

Mostpeople in wales think he is a pathetic useless drip.   Would be funny if plaid can force his resignation as first minister. ...maybe a different labour person might take his place. .I do love Leanne. ..hope she can ffinally make a big breakthrough for plaid.   Difficult to displace labour as assembly maths is designed to strongly favour labour.   Their "safe" south wales seats will always give them almost half the assembly. ...until plaid break into that like the SNP have done  in Glasgow and Lanarkshire. ..it will stay forever labour in wales..  PR lists almost irrelevant.