Aberdeen on the move - Page 9 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 minutes ago, Potted Heid said:

Mum, If you can get to or from Pittodrie or Guild St to the new stadium in Westhill/Kingswells in less than an hour on match day then I'll buy you a fresh orange juice in Portals.  If you can do it in fifteen minutes, I'll give up drinking. ;) 

What sort of journey time will be required for a Gin & Tonic?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/24/2016 at 10:08 AM, Rossy said:

On first glance, I agree.

However, I believe the club wants a 'Tynecastle-like' atmosphere....with steep one level stands close to the pitch, but having the advantage that it'll be all-enclosed (no corner gaps).

It'll also be bigger than both Tynecastle and Easter Road, which most people agree are two of the best grounds in the country for atmosphere and viewing.

When you look at it that way, it doesn't seem so bad...

Will it? I thought Easter Road holds over 20k and Tyncastle will be about 22k after the upgrade is complete?

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Aberdeen is full of the biggest load of whinging, "not in my backyard", dour faced bastards in all the world.

It seems very few people ever want anything to change in the city.

Agree, place drives me fecking mental.
Anything half decent that ever gets proposed in the area, gets fecking ridiculed by auld Edna and the likes, then the idea turns into a damp squib.

I can pretty much guarantee that some spanner gets thrown in the works and the Dons new stadium gets canned.  Same for the new proposed sports centre expansion in Inverurie.  The only reason the new exhibition centre got approved is for the land value at the current site.
I am still in shock were getting a bypass and still canna believe trumpy got his golf course. Maybe times are changing.

Im awa to hide under a table for a few weeks.  Over and out.

58 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Easter Road holds 20,421 while Tynecastle will hold 20,99 when its completed 

The new Pittodrie will be bigger then both of them, and at least we'll fill it from time to time.

I hope you're happy now, because you seem awfy concerned about this.

Surely Easter Road and Tynecastle are a good atmosphere because they are stadia in their city heartlands as much if not more as their architectural design. They have history, character. You think you are going to build a new tynecastle in a field in Westhill and recreate that buzz? It will be Livingstone more than Tynecastle no? A plastic ground with no heart, no soul. And Pittodrie will curse you. You will never win the league again. 

Build that Austria Vienna style stadium on Pittodrie. Now that would be respectful and not invoke the curse.  It would be quite awesome as well. (And make it wind tight, maybe plant a few trees between it and the north sea FFS... )

Milne should be doing it at cost just to show case to the world his awesome building skills. But naw...let's build a characterless box in a field somewhere... oh right have you seen a Milne house. :lol:

Edited by thplinth

Pittodrie, like Aberdonians and Aberdeen in general, is dour anyway so a new stadium outside the city wouldn't be a bad idea.

When Broadwood opened it was in the middle of nowhere too but soon got surrounded by houses and I'd imagine the same would happen if there isn't houses there already.

The development itself looks pretty good but it is a mistake to move  out of town to the outskirts (to put it mildly) of the city. Has that model been a success anywhere in Scotland? Can't think where.

Scottish club football isn't a big enough draw to get people to travel out to soulless retail parks in the middle of mowhere. It is easy, but a bit dumb, to dismiss the importance of the match day experience, much of which is lost with moves like these. 

Then again, maybe Aberdeen will make a decent fist of it where others have failed. The current stadium itself is about as uninviting place to watch sport as you'll get.

Huge mistake in my book

club had the chance to expand several times in 80/90s after purchase of land behind the south stand ; rotate by 90 extend beach end etc

saw on last visit home that flats were built on old gasworks : assume a SM deal....

have only been once to Livingston but lived in Westhill for a few years, so can imagine the scooping options

whatever happens with AFC tho am sure will be a cock up