Should Strachan be given another campaign? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should Strachan be given another campaign?

clarky1606

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, clarky1606 said:

Should Strachan be given another campaign if he is going to pick the majority of the same players who failed and play them in the same formation that failed in the last campaign?

DISCUSS

Probably 8 or 9 in this squad who were not in the last competitive squad. Plenty of changes IMO.

He should be allowed this campaign but if he fails he should go.

Fire him and hire who however?

Yes, at least he has us trying to play an attack minded game. Do folk really forget who he replaced and want us to go back to the 4-6-0 days?

Don't see how the majority of the squad is the same old same old

Scott Bain, Callum Paterson, Oliver Burke, John McGinn, Barry McKay, Matt Phillips, Robert Snodgrass, Barry Bannan, Lee Wallace and Ross McCormack all new or returning having not played any part in previous campaign (or very little) also add in Mclean and Tierney who it's been stated have been rested due to early club returns. That's 12 players and not forgetting the likes of Copper, Bridcutt and Watt who were involved in March

14 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Probably 8 or 9 in this squad who were not in the last competitive squad. Plenty of changes IMO.

He should be allowed this campaign but if he fails he should go.

Fire him and hire who however?

How many of them will get any real game time though? I think he will resort to playing the same 13-14 players as he always has done (whilst telling us its because he trusts them)

Rotating the subs is all well and good but they will only be in the squad to make the numbers up!!

that's the million dollar question! who we would want and who would actually want the job are 2 very different things. I think David Moyes would be a decent appointment. He is after a job back in UK to build his reputation up again... 

7 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Yes, at least he has us trying to play an attack minded game. Do folk really forget who he replaced and want us to go back to the 4-6-0 days?

Don't see how the majority of the squad is the same old same old

Scott Bain, Callum Paterson, Oliver Burke, John McGinn, Barry McKay, Matt Phillips, Robert Snodgrass, Barry Bannan, Lee Wallace and Ross McCormack all new or returning having not played any part in previous campaign (or very little) also add in Mclean and Tierney who it's been stated have been rested due to early club returns. That's 12 players and not forgetting the likes of Copper, Bridcutt and Watt who were involved in March

how many of these will actually get any decent game time ahead of Strachan's favourites though??

Snodgrass is the only 1 that stands out. Lee Wallace will likely play if he starts Mulgrew in midfield. Paterson has a chance if Strachan can finally see that Hutton is passed his best (but knowing Strachan he would just give Whittaker a run in the team instead). The others will just be making up the numbers IMO

9 minutes ago, deecie said:

No.

Not far off it myself Deecie.

The only way I want him to stay on is if he starts playing the lads who are in form for their clubs and hungry to play for Scotland and stops selecting the players who have failed him since he took over.

3 minutes ago, clarky1606 said:

how many of these will actually get any decent game time ahead of Strachan's favourites though??

Snodgrass is the only 1 that stands out. Lee Wallace will likely play if he starts Mulgrew in midfield. Paterson has a chance if Strachan can finally see that Hutton is passed his best (but knowing Strachan he would just give Whittaker a run in the team instead). The others will just be making up the numbers IMO

From recent interviews I seen with him I think the likes of Burke and Phillips will make an impact this time. He mentioned when on Goals on Sunday a few weeks ago about our lack of big physical players compared to other similar ranked teams to us Denmark, Poland, ROI and such like. Those two for a start fall into that category and with the 3 you mentions there's 5 straight away all are big, strong and quick lads at 6ft plus.

If he thought that highly of Whitaker why's Patterson in this squad ahead of him?

He shouldn't have been given this campaign to start with.  The last one was a humiliation and then he capped it all off by taking time to decide if he was going to stay on.  Give the performance and results he delivered he should have been going cap in hand to the SFA begging to keep his job.  However, he now has a contract that the SFA can't or won't be able to afford to pay him out of so barring some shocking results in the first few games I think we've got him for this campaign at least.

20 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

From recent interviews I seen with him I think the likes of Burke and Phillips will make an impact this time. He mentioned when on Goals on Sunday a few weeks ago about our lack of big physical players compared to other similar ranked teams to us Denmark, Poland, ROI and such like. Those two for a start fall into that category and with the 3 you mentions there's 5 straight away all are big, strong and quick lads at 6ft plus.

If he thought that highly of Whitaker why's Patterson in this squad ahead of him?

All depends if he gives these lads a chance. Saying it on TV is one thing but following through with it is what we we all want to see. Burke got 10 mins vs Denmark and didnt get called up vs. Czech Republic. Phillips got half an hour vs. Denmark but didn't get called up vs. Czech Republic. If he was such a big fan of them surely they would of got more game time or been picked for both squads like e.g. Greer/Anya/Fletcher/Mulgrew were - when Strachan has seen plenty of these lads.

I fully expected to see Whittaker in the squad but delighted its Paterson. When it comes to competitive games then we will see who gets the nod... I think Whitaker will unfortunately be ahead of Paterson.

Quality of Scottish game improved under Strachan significantly IMO (much nicer to watch than Ireland for sure) but you were lacking a bit of luck and some of the players failed to be clinical in few crucial moments- in attack and defence (and Ireland was better in that department). That is something Strachan can and should improve,  maybe with some new faces and bit of a break from competitive intl games.

What I think people are missing here is that Slovenia and Slovakia have aging squads and less than fantastic performances in France may even force Slovakia to change their manager.

They will probably both be in transition phases during the campaign and having to try out new players and systems.

This is why I think we may finish 2nd and get a possible play-off, not because we'll have an exciting new team, but because we're settled and Strachan knows what he'll get from us.

I think Strachan may be thinking along the same lines.

1 hour ago, BraveheartGordon said:

What I think people are missing here is that Slovenia and Slovakia have aging squads and less than fantastic performances in France may even force Slovakia to change their manager.

They will probably both be in transition phases during the campaign and having to try out new players and systems.

This is why I think we may finish 2nd and get a possible play-off, not because we'll have an exciting new team, but because we're settled and Strachan knows what he'll get from us.

An interesting and fresh perspective.

Apart from Rhodes,  I cant say I'm too perplexed. 

If we do end up needing a new manager, it would have to be a foreigner. The only Scot worth considering would be Derek McInnes and even then I'm not sure if he'd be right for the job.

In spite of a few bad mistakes though, I'm still backing Strachan.

1 hour ago, BraveheartGordon said:

That's a good post, although our team is also ageing. 

I'd stick with Strachan for the sake of continuity if nothing else.  I'm not convinced another manager would get much more out of the set of players we have at the moment.