Scottish Cup Final - Hibs v Rangers - Page 32 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup Final - Hibs v Rangers

18 minutes ago, brant grebner said:

If Pars fans had gone on the pitch at the last game at Broomfield to protect the Pars players that were attacked then that would have been okay?

If the players were being attacked then yes. 

1 minute ago, macy37 said:

25 hours on and I'm still find myself laughing at the sevconians playing the victim card once again. Christ I've even seen them demanding a replay.

Seen?  Them?  Let us know mate.  Share your facts please??  Or if lies then ok.

5 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

If the players were being attacked then yes. 

Does jostling count as an attack?

What happened to Pars players that day was similar to what happened to Rangers players yesterday - they were jostled and surrounded by victorious (and some hostile) opposing supporters.

I've still not seen any footage of Rangers players or officials being hit.

I've seen the footage of Waghorn being pushed by someone as hundreds of Hibs fans run past him and I've seen the 2 pictures of Lee Wallace where it looks like a punch is being thrown, but there's photos of smoke billowing out of the World Trade Centre on 9/11 that people have claimed show the devil's face in it and I don't think that's entirely right.

There's a bunch of pictures on this link that tell some part of the story of what happened at Broomfield:

http://airdrieyouth.proboards.com/thread/566/last-game-broomfield

10k plus crowd - second last game of the season with Dunfermline were going for promotion against Falkirk, and Airdrie leaving Broomfield with a hate/hate relationship between the 2 clubs. Dunfermline were top of the table and a win would have won us the league. Airdrie scored a very late winner and their fans came running on to the pitch - some Pars players got hit by some of the Airdrie support.

0001.jpg

At the final whistle, the rest of the Airdrie support came running on the pitch

PitchInvasion.jpg

some were out to goad us and went to the front of the Pars support, the rest were there to celebrate the end of their club's time at Broomfield. and they trashed their own crossbar

7last.jpg

There were a lot of angry and goaded and threatened Pars fans there that day and there was the real potential for trouble.

It didn't happen because the Pars fans didn't react and go on the pitch because it was wrong to do that.

Yesterday was similar, but on a larger scale and with a different outcome because some Rangers fans went on and attacked the Hibs fans.

2 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

But the barrier for being good enough for you is very low.

Correct.  I had a fear of spiders when wee boy.  The like of this guy cant get over Rangers being.....  well Rangers.  If they arent Rangers and now are a new club why do wee boys still hate and fear them?  I wouldnt be scare of a new club called Sevco?  Boys and toys.  Keeps them going though.

Two petitions on the go by rangers fans apparently. One to ban hibs supporters from Ibrox (they do know hibs didn't get promotion don't they?) and another to have them banned from Europe for their behaviour. Hmmm short memories then.

2 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Two petitions on the go by rangers fans apparently. One to ban hibs supporters from Ibrox (they do know hibs didn't get promotion don't they?) and another to have them banned from Europe for their behaviour. Hmmm short memories then.

Your love of the sweeping generalisation goes on and on.

3 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

I apologise I simply assumed that you were extrapolating the actions of some half-wits to whole of Rangers's support, I now realise you didn't mean that.

Correct, I didn't. However, I  should have said SOME rangers fans.

1 hour ago, derekfaejapan said:

Probably...Still, must admit that it's a kick tae the baws for them to end their 114 year hoodoo against us :(

Their knuckledragging fans showed them up for what they are...Hope they rot in the Championship for years.

Steady on Derek, we're supposed to be mates. 

Donald

21 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Seen?  Them?  Let us know mate.  Share your facts please??  Or if lies then ok.

I'll simplify it for you. There are some Huns asking for a replay.

I presume the match is what they are wanting replayed and not the hand bags after the final whistle but you never know.

1 hour ago, Debian said:

Sensible article from Leckie.... Wow. 

-----------------

A kick up the 1980s: Hibs leave grail of destruction

Fans proudly parade pitch souvenirs
By BILL LECKIE
12:35, 22 May 2016

YOU hate to say it after all the pain they’ve been through.
But if that’s the way Hibs fans celebrate winning the Scottish Cup, here’s hoping it’s another 114 years before they do it again.
The thousands among them who didn’t behave like savages at time up might think that’s unfair.
Truth is, though, their moment of moments is forever tarnished — and all sympathy any neutral had with their desperate hunt for the silver grail has utterly vanished.
Opposing players punched. Goalposts destroyed. Huge chunks of turf torn up.
On a day of sunshine on Mount Florida, the black clouds of hooliganism swept back over Scottish football and rained on everyone’s parade.
And don’t give me the old nonsense about high spirits and celebrations getting out of hand, because this terrible return to the game’s bad old days was one more drunken swing of a boot away from turning into a full-scale riot.

That it didn’t is in huge part down to the restraint of the Rangers support. Yes, a few hundred dafties came over the side and tried to have a square go — but the majority stayed put, as shocked and sickened by the unfolding scenes as those watching on TV all around the world.
When I mention those watching, by the way, that includes the police and stewards who let it happen.
For all they did to stem the green tide from the east end of the stadium, they might as well have been traffic cones.
Hibs punters made it to the Rangers penalty box before any kind of plan kicked into action. By which time, more than one invader had been kicked into a sobbing ball of regret.
Suddenly, we were back in 1980, when battling Old Firm fans clashed in a hail of bottles and cans and the Government were forced to step in and ban bevvy from the terraces and stands.

Fans ran onto the pitch after Hibs won Cup for first time in 114 years
There were genuine fears of full-scale bloodshed. All leave was being cancelled in every A&E department and cop shop from Aikenhead Road to Arthur’s Seat.
Slowly — eventually — yellow-jacketed lines, bolstered by mounted officers, pushed the factions apart and the prospect of mass violence subsided.
Yet still thousands of Hibs fans refused to heed tannoy pleas to go back to the stands, seemingly oblivious of the chaos they’d caused. Still they danced and hugged, still they tried to get through the security cordon to get at the Rangers stands.
Eventually, it got so ridiculous even their fellow fans booed.

Incredibly, several of Alan Stubbs’ players — Jason Cummings, Lewis Stevenson, Darren McGregor, the dyed-in-the-wool troops — were still in amongst it all, occasionally bobbing up on the shoulders of a fan.
Goodness knows what might have happened to them had it really kicked off with the rival support, as several Rangers players had already taken a slap on their way to the dressing rooms.
Stubbs described it as “exuberance”. He either didn’t get it or was trying to sweep the full seriousness of it all under the rug; either way he did his club no credit at all.
As for chairman, Rod Petrie? The man’s a buffoon whose shoulder-shrugging reaction should — whatever sanctions come down upon his club — lead to his instant resignation.

To refuse to accept that the behaviour of the fans was disgraceful shows how out of touch with reality the man is.
No wonder Rangers refused to come back out to collect their runners-up medals. No wonder Mark Warburton just wanted to get his men changed, on the bus and away from it all before the Hibs end emptied onto the streets. Yes, they’ve had their own dark days of fan violence but yesterday was not their doing.
This as all about Hibs. It was a terrible, sad and a frightening end to what had been one of the best cup finals for many, many years. A game packed so much of what’s best about football, only for it all to end up relegated to a sideshow.
Most of us writing about the match had just about finished praising Stubbs and Co to the skies.
We were ready to sit back and listen to Sunshine On Leith. We were thinking that here we were, a tiny part of history.
I had a line in my head about how for 114 long years, Hibs had been Wile E Coyote and the Scottish Cup their Roadrunner. How every season they’d convinced themselves they’d get the better of that pesky silverware; yet every year, it found a new way to push them off the edge of a cliff.

Shocked Rangers players drop to the ground
Just when victory always seemed within their grasp, down came the giant Acme anvil and off the cliff they went, legs motoring for a spit-second as they defied reality. I was going to write about how unplayable two-goal Anthony Stokes had been, how resiliently they coped with injuries, how brilliantly Liam Henderson delivered the corners that turned a 2-1 deficit into an incredible triumph.
There was going to be a bit about how the only Rangers player to truly shine was Kenny Miller, who defied his age to score a marvellous hea-der and hit the bar.
There was, ironically, going to be criticism for the Rangers support’s never-ending bile of singing, even hailing their second by bawling that Andy Halliday hates the Pope and IRA.
After what was to come, though, that seemed small fry.
Everything that had gone before seemed almost irrelevant. Those Hibs hordes had made sure of that. They’d spoiled a wonderful spectacle for all of us. Worse than that, they’d spoiled it for themselves.
In the end, they got to see the cup handed over and sang their victory anthem. Never, though, has its strains left the watching nation quite so cold.

How did he manage to type that though the tears?

Womderful to see the filthy Hun borrowing Sellics victim card.