Scottish Cup Final - Hibs v Rangers - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup Final - Hibs v Rangers

14 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Ah well at least you are sorted.can't beat a cup final!:ok:

Surprisingly, despite having a season ticket for 20 or so years I've only ever been to one Scottish Cup final (with Rangers).  We lost to Dundee Utd. :mad:

The only other Rangers cup final I've been to was the 1993 League Cup Final.  We beat Hibs! :D

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Surprisingly, despite having a season ticket for 20 or so years I've only ever been to one Scottish Cup final (with Rangers).  We lost to Dundee Utd. :mad:

The only other Rangers cup final I've been to was the 1993 League Cup Final.  We beat Hibs! :D

1994. I was there - a truly wonderful day. Sh*t game of football if remember rightly.

45 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Hibs might want to take some encouragement from the form of Rangers since the OF game and their winning the Championship, it has all had a bit of 'after the Lord Mayor's show' about it. By next weekend Rangers won't have played a game for quite a bit in footballing terms, and maybe some of them might (in their minds) already have the flip-flops on. I'm just trying to find a few positives for you; if I was putting a bet on it would probably be for a Rangers win. It's just a hunch, and you never know.

The 'form' point is fair enough. To say the players will go into this not focused on the game is clutching at straws in the extreme. 

The truth is the games between us have Been decent this term and pretty close. Both sides have played very good stuff at points this season and will both think, that on their day they can win it. 

Like you, I fancy us to do it, but it really could go either way. 

14 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

1994. I was there - a truly wonderful day. Sh*t game of football if remember rightly.

Also there. It was absolutely rank rotten. I might be wrong but I don't think we had a shot on target. You lot were just less shite and deserved to win. 

Chance for back to back trebles too. 

On 5/14/2016 at 6:08 PM, Only One Stop said:

What is it that you are seeing that gives any suggestion of a Hibs win in Cup Final?

Well, law of averages first of all. Hibs are simply bound to win one of the finals they're in...why not this year ?

That, and the fact that despite the obvious blow-ups that Hibs are famous for, there's not actually all that much between the teams, and results between the 2 this season have proved that. 

Both teams have rather weak defences, and there'll be goals. But if Hibs can keep the heid and convert some of the chances they'll undoubtedly create, then I think they'll win 2-1 or 3-2. 

Edited by Rossy

24 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

10 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Also there. It was absolutely rank rotten. I might be wrong but I don't think we had a shot on target. You lot were just less shite and deserved to win. 

It was a shit game.  I think we had a few chances.  I seem to remember the United keeper (Van De Kamp?) making a cracking save from Mikailitchenko (there's no way I've spelled that right) after we went behind thanks to a colossal cock up by Ally Maxwell!

19 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Agreed, even our goal was pretty rubbish. I ended up staying in Glasgow and out celebrating in the West end. Surprised I don't get my head kicked in actually looking back.

53 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

And to be fair I remember a lot of rangers supporters coming up and congratulating me. They didn't seem to hate us so much back then.:(

No- to be fair it was just that we just hated others more. :lol:

Unfortunately, for hibs, the Law of Averages is just a layman's incorrect application of the Law of Large numbers and as such means nothing.

"As invoked in everyday life, the "law" usually reflects wishful thinking or a poor understanding of statistics rather than any mathematical principle."

Poor, poor hibs.

Edited by phart

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

Agreed, even our goal was pretty rubbish. I ended up staying in Glasgow and out celebrating in the West end. Surprised I don't get my head kicked in actually looking back.

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

And to be fair I remember a lot of rangers supporters coming up and congratulating me. They didn't seem to hate us so much back then.:(

There is no question the bitterness is worse than ever amongst supporters of the club's (and others) these days.  I've said this before but I mind being given a cuddle by a big Loon at Hampden when Aberdeen beat us in the LC final 1989 and I was greeting my beads oot. It was the family section of course but not a hint of bother. Unthinkable for that to happen now. 

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Well, law of averages first of all. Hibs are simply bound to win one of the finals they're in...why not this year ?

That, and the fact that despite the obvious blow-ups that Hibs are famous for, there's not actually all that much between the teams, and results between the 2 this season have proved that. 

Both teams have rather weak defences, and there'll be goals. But if Hibs can keep the heid and convert some of the chances they'll undoubtedly create, then I think they'll win 2-1 or 3-2. 

Law of averages essentially means bugger all. The rest of it is fair enough although hardly makes them a stick on. Hopefully be as entertaining as the semi final. 

1 hour ago, Angus_Young said:

Law of averages essentially means bugger all. The rest of it is fair enough although hardly makes them a stick on. Hopefully be as entertaining as the semi final. 

Well, obviously the law of averages has no scientific basis. I meant 'stick on'in the football sense, which means that I'm acting on a hunch.....;)

However, given the close games between the 2 this season I do feel this is Hibs' best chance in a long time. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Good luck to Hibs.

:ok::ok::ok::ok:

Rangers need taken down a peg. 

Plus, if they lose, it'll be hilarious to see them scrambling around to shell out even more millions on has-beens and 'big name'signings to try and placate Ra People. 

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

It was a shit game.  I think we had a few chances.  I seem to remember the United keeper (Van De Kamp?) making a cracking save from Mikailitchenko (there's no way I've spelled that right) after we went behind thanks to a colossal cock up by Ally Maxwell!

Sadly that wasn't the only time that phrase was mentioned.

Remember the two he made v Celtic in '93? Mates & I were convinced he'd taken a bribe that day.

Wasn't he attacked outside after the game? (That's not an excuse for you to say Maxwell threw a punch in retaliation & missed) ;)

Worst keeper I've ever seen play for Rangers - absolutely dreadful.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I presume the game is a sell oot?

Any Berrz I've spoken to think the result is a formality...

I've discussed this with 3-4 mates over the last couple of days and everyone of them, myself included, says they have a feeling it'll be Hibs day.  

33 minutes ago, silverbear said:

Worst keeper I've ever seen play for Rangers - absolutely dreadful.

Ally maxwell isn't even the worst goalie rangers have got from Motherwell.

:lol:

Sad the way his Motherwell career ended after his cup final heroics. He's over from America doing some stuff for the 25th anniversary of the '91 cup win.