Edinburgh City - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Edinburgh City promoted to the Senior leagues with East Stirlingshire dropping into the lowland league.

This is a pretty big event in scottish football and was given almost no coverage. To find out the Edinburgh City v Cove score I had to look up their Facebook page. Many people wouldn't even know these games were on. They should be televised as I would have really liked to have watched it. Big crowd there today as well.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

This is a pretty big event in scottish football and was given almost no coverage.

Aye, first time a club have been relegated out of the league.

115 years of senior status for the Shire comes to an end...

Was at the game with the wee man (he trains with Edinburgh City youths). Cracking result, no the best game but that didn't matter as it was all about getting up. Penalty in the last 3 mins to seal it, celebrations were epic!

Great wee set up through all age groups ??

Not the best of games, deserved win for Edinburgh City, Joe Mbu was MOM. Sad day for Shire remember age 6, being at Sir Alex's first game in charge as a manager, pre season friendly v Nuneaton Borough, 4th August 1974.

Didn't know that Shire had merged with Clydebank for one season in the 1960s, playing at Kilbowie under the catchy name of "East Stirlingshire Clydebank".

A club with no home ground and the omission of senior prize money doesn't sound good for their future.

Their move was supposed to be temporary but they've been ground sharing for 8 years or so now. 

No ground, out of the league and their crowds were also normally the poorest in the leagues. Can they afford to continue ground sharing in non leagues? Might never see them again.

Edited by iainmac1

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Aye, first time a club have been relegated out of the league.

115 years of senior status for the Shire comes to an end...

They're out of the league after 61 years but are still seniors (as opposed to juniors).  It's a traumatic day for them I'm sure, but it would be unfair to prevent clubs like Edin City, Spartans and East Kilbride the route to the SPFL based on a closed shop. 

Will be very interesting to see how they cope in  Lowland League next season. 

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

What's the latest on Meadowbank? If it gets sold by the council like they've been talking about for years what are Edinburgh City's plans?

If the council leave it a year or two they could take over Hibs...

According to Edinburgh City manager Gary Jardine after the match yesterday on the radio Meadowbank may be getting improved .

Good to see I also watched my son for years playing through the City age groups in the white and black so pleased for them.

What's the average crowds like at Edinburgh City? Do they have a solid youth development programme like Spartans have? In other words, setting aside the fact that East Stirlingshire should have been long gone years ago, will City be assets to the SPFL?

Edinburgh City average just over 300 comparible with bottom teams in div2 but that should increase now.They attracted Meadowbank fans who werent interested in Livingstone and should attract a few more neutral Edinburgh football fans again.They have always had teams in every age group of amature football .

Heard their manager on radio this morning. He said that he wasn't worried that they might miss the penalty as Dougie Gair has scored 53 out of 55 penalties he has taken throughout his career. That's a pretty impressive record.

3 hours ago, jock strap said:

What's the Edinburgh City kit like ?

White shirts and black shorts.  They have just bought the shut Loch Inn near Easter Road as their new social club. They sold there other one that was just down from the playhouse.

i think their history is that this was the Edinburgh's Posties work team?

1 hour ago, giblet said:

White shirts and black shorts.  They have just bought the shut Loch Inn near Easter Road as their new social club. They sold there other one that was just down from the playhouse.

Well done to them.

Raith Rovers have been going since 1883 and still dont have a social club.

2 hours ago, giblet said:

Pretty sure they were formally Postal United in early 80's.

Worst place ever to watch football.