Edinburgh City - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, giblet said:

White shirts and black shorts.  They have just bought the shut Loch Inn near Easter Road as their new social club. They sold there other one that was just down from the playhouse.

i think their history is that this was the Edinburgh's Posties work team?

Cheers mate.

was wondering if there was going to be a colour clash when we play them soon :D

11 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Worried about a colour clash in league one? :D

I've just read this after posting my own colour clash comment ! 

Your a cruel man at times DD, but I would be the same roles reversed ! :lol: 

On 5/14/2016 at 10:17 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

What's the latest on Meadowbank? If it gets sold by the council like they've been talking about for years what are Edinburgh City's plans?

I spoke to an Edinburgh City fan at the 1st leg of the play off vs Cove and he said if the council sell Meadowbank (which he seemed sure of) they would have to share with Spartans until a replacement ground is built - and apparently the council are paying for the replacement? (happy to be proved wrong here - we both had a few pints prior to this conversation)

Glad they won it in the end but gutted on the other hand as it could have been Cove. Refreshing for Scottish football and hopefully Edinburgh City are a good addition to the SPFL

3 hours ago, clarky1606 said:

I spoke to an Edinburgh City fan at the 1st leg of the play off vs Cove and he said if the council sell Meadowbank (which he seemed sure of) they would have to share with Spartans until a replacement ground is built - and apparently the council are paying for the replacement? (happy to be proved wrong here - we both had a few pints prior to this conversation)

Glad they won it in the end but gutted on the other hand as it could have been Cove. Refreshing for Scottish football and hopefully Edinburgh City are a good addition to the SPFL

would I be right in thinking then that if Cove had been in the final and defeated The Shire, The Shire would've had to play Highland League next season?

9 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

would I be right in thinking then that if Cove had been in the final and defeated The Shire, The Shire would've had to play Highland League next season?

I don't think so. There is is a cut off line somewhere. Not sure what they would do with uneven numbers in the lowland league though or vice versa.

Feasibly say 3 highland league clubs could win the playoffs in a row and beat Annan, Berwick and Stranraer. That would muck things up. One league reduces in size while other gets too big. 

Edited by iainmac1

3 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

I don't think so. There is is a cut off line somewhere. Not sure what they would do with uneven numbers in the lowland league though or vice versa.

Feasibly say 3 highland league clubs could win the playoffs in a row and beat Annan, Berwick and Stranraer. That would muck things up. One league reduces in size while other gets too big. 

I see - that actually makes sense. cheers

12 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

That's right, and if Cove Rangers lost to ( say ) East Kilbride in the play off next year they'd be in the Lowland League. Insanity. 

4 minutes ago, one t in scotland said:

That's right, and if Cove Rangers lost to ( say ) East Kilbride in the play off next year they'd be in the Lowland League. Insanity. 

That is insanity indeed. Surely if that happens, we will see teams spending a fortune on travel which in the long term is only going to have a negative impact on their finances and subsequently puts their existence at risk?

10 minutes ago, one t in scotland said:

It's not right. You don't just replace who you lost to. If Wick beat Berwick then Berwick wouldn't join the Highland league. There is a geographical cut off.

Like I said it would be possible for one league to lose a lot of members while the other gains lots if say highland teams kept beating southern teams in playoffs. Unlikely but possible.

Edited by iainmac1

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Is it a myth that highland league teams don't want to get promoted?

Some do. Think Cove have tried to get in before. The Brora chairman said last year that he didn't want to go up.

Other than Cove I'm not sure if any other Highland League team has tried to get in to the Senior leagues before.

Had a look and last time Annan got in Cove Rangers, Spartans, Preston Athletic and Edinburgh City also applied.

When Gretna were voted in Gala Fairydean, Preston Athletic, Cove Rangers, Huntly and Edinburgh City also applied. 

Cove defienetly seem to want in. Huntly possibly as well given they applied. Not sure if many others would be keen. All the highland teams who historically fancied joining the leagues are in already.

It's a shame for East Stirling but in all honesty they brought absolutely nothing to the table. We played there a month or so ago & they must have only had 80-100 home supporters. What i do hope for them though is that dropping into the Lowland league can help them sort the club out, find a more suitable ground & if winning more games can start to get some supporters back through the turnstyle. From what i'm hearing though there is the chance of them going out of business(?) which obviously nobody likes to see.

With Edinburgh City in the league means we get two days out in the capital next season rather than Ochiliview, happy days! 

29 minutes ago, Rory said:

It's a shame for East Stirling but in all honesty they brought absolutely nothing to the table. We played there a month or so ago & they must have only had 80-100 home supporters. What i do hope for them though is that dropping into the Lowland league can help them sort the club out, find a more suitable ground & if winning more games can start to get some supporters back through the turnstyle. From what i'm hearing though there is the chance of them going out of business(?) which obviously nobody likes to see.

With Edinburgh City in the league means we get two days out in the capital next season rather than Ochiliview, happy days! 

Admittedly the capital has a bit more to offer than Stenhousemuir but I'd still rather watch a game at Ochilview than Meadowbank. 

Plus Ochilview is easily accessible with the fine Station Hotel in Larbert for pre-match refreshments. 

Edited by Charlie Endell

11 minutes ago, Charlie Endell said:

Admittedly the capital has a bit more to offer than Stenhousemuir but I'd still rather watch a game at Ochilview than Meadowbank. 

Plus Ochilview is easily accessible with the fine Station Hotel in Larbert for pre-match refreshments. 

I do enjoy Ochilview with the terracing behind the goal & the pub at the station but never been to Meadowbank before, something new i suppose! 

20 minutes ago, Charlie Endell said:

Luckily there's still a team from Stenhousemuir to play there :blink:

what happened to Firs Park, did it get sold?  Surely East Stirling has a bit of cash aside?

Seems most of the sale of the ground will go to a former manager , Alan Mackin?

http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/news/business/shire-plan-to-cash-in-on-firs-park-faces-opposition-from-neighbours-1-3561439

Edited by giblet

20 hours ago, clarky1606 said:

Meadowbank is planned to be demolished and a new general purpose stadium built, with seating for 500 in the indoor sports hall. No mention that I can find for the amount of seating planned for the outdoor arena

its a shame for Shire but they routinely came bottom of the leagues with no come back

no ground, no fans, a finacial basket case

they just dont dserve to be in the leagues

problem is that buffer team is now gone, Albion came fourth bottom this year!!!!!

in the last 14 seasons, Shire came bottom of heap 8 times and 2nd bottom 3 times

thank god for the play off as to have a team that bad still allowed back season after season was farcical

cue Albion getting relegated next year