Edinburgh City - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

17 hours ago, Rory said:

It's a shame for East Stirling but in all honesty they brought absolutely nothing to the table. We played there a month or so ago & they must have only had 80-100 home supporters. What i do hope for them though is that dropping into the Lowland league can help them sort the club out, find a more suitable ground & if winning more games can start to get some supporters back through the turnstyle. From what i'm hearing though there is the chance of them going out of business(?) which obviously nobody likes to see.

With Edinburgh City in the league means we get two days out in the capital next season rather than Ochiliview, happy days! 

What team do you support and what do they bring to the table?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, clarky1606 said:

I spoke to an Edinburgh City fan at the 1st leg of the play off vs Cove and he said if the council sell Meadowbank (which he seemed sure of) they would have to share with Spartans until a replacement ground is built - and apparently the council are paying for the replacement? (happy to be proved wrong here - we both had a few pints prior to this conversation)

Glad they won it in the end but gutted on the other hand as it could have been Cove. Refreshing for Scottish football and hopefully Edinburgh City are a good addition to the SPFL

I'd heard some talk about Edinburgh City maybe moving to Meggetland. No idea if there's any substance to this though.

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

one season they only got 8 points

but remained in the league

cant deny this has been coming

One season (and a more recent one than the one you refer to) they got 61 points and finished third and made the play offs.

For the avoidance of doubt, promotion + relegation from League 2 is a concept that I'm in favour of. I'm just a little irked at the fact that in some quarters Shire's relegation (and quite possibly in turn the death of the club) is being revelled in. No one can deny that they have had a fair number lowly league placings, they also have had their moments too. (Challenge cup semi finalists 2000/01 season as an example)

Fans of other clubs might want to be careful what they wish for. Would I be right in saying that (as an example) Forthbank is actually owned by a skint Stirling Council sat on top of a piece of lucrative land? Not that I wish it for a second, but Albion could find themselves in an too familiar position as the Shire in years to come.......

2 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

What team do you support and what do they bring to the table?

I'm a clyde supporter!
I suspect you are a Shire supporter which if you are i have huge respect, takes a lot supporting teams in the lower leagues! In my eyes they have been taking up a place in lower leagues which i believe more ambitious teams in Lowlands or Highlands have the right to compete for. If pyramid system had came into play a few years back, who knows where clyde would be, i'm just grateful we are no longer sitting at bottom of this hellhole of a league.

26 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

One season (and a more recent one than the one you refer to) they got 61 points and finished third and made the play offs.

For the avoidance of doubt, promotion + relegation from League 2 is a concept that I'm in favour of. I'm just a little irked at the fact that in some quarters Shire's relegation (and quite possibly in turn the death of the club) is being revelled in. No one can deny that they have had a fair number lowly league placings, they also have had their moments too. (Challenge cup semi finalists 2000/01 season as an example)

Fans of other clubs might want to be careful what they wish for. Would I be right in saying that (as an example) Forthbank is actually owned by a skint Stirling Council sat on top of a piece of lucrative land? Not that I wish it for a second, but Albion could find themselves in an too familiar position as the Shire in years to come.......

i have not wished for shires relegation and probable demise

not for a second

but this league that we were in needs relegation to give clubs incluidng albion a kick up teh @rse and yes, if we get relegated we are going kaput no doubt

3 hours ago, Rory said:

I'm a clyde supporter!
I suspect you are a Shire supporter which if you are i have huge respect, takes a lot supporting teams in the lower leagues! In my eyes they have been taking up a place in lower leagues which i believe more ambitious teams in Lowlands or Highlands have the right to compete for. If pyramid system had came into play a few years back, who knows where clyde would be, i'm just grateful we are no longer sitting at bottom of this hellhole of a league.

What is going on with your gypsies? 

I've lost track of the latest ins and outs. Where are they due to play next season? Still Cumbernauld miles from their original home?

I'd love to see them back to where they were early 80's as I always enjoyed Shawfield.

Was at the game at the weekend. Fair play to Edinburgh city - they clearly wanted it more. Shire players didn't look too fussed to be honest which was the most disappointing  

Hard to argue that the relegation was coming, would have already happened had this format been in place years ago. Future looks bleak. 

5 hours ago, Nelly said:

I'd heard some talk about Edinburgh City maybe moving to Meggetland. No idea if there's any substance to this though.

really, i live there and have never heard that

dont think the locals would be impressed with football crowds

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

What is going on with your gypsies? 

I've lost track of the latest ins and outs. Where are they due to play next season? Still Cumbernauld miles from their original home?

I'd love to see them back to where they were early 80's as I always enjoyed Shawfield.

For time being we are staying at Broadwood, in recent years there has been potential moves to Rutherglen, East Kilbride & most recently Shettleston but nothing has materialised. I'd love to see us move back to a smaller ground with terracing & preferably one we can make money from pie sales etc but it is what it is! Unfortunate not to get promotion this season!

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

really, i live there and have never heard that

dont think the locals would be impressed with football crowds

I used to live nearby as well and can't really see it happening either. Just something one of my friends, who's a ref in the juniors and lowland league, said he'd heard being a possibility. Spartans sounds a more realistic option, particularly given the artificial pitch there.  

18 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

I think you are vastly overestimating the number of fvcks the majority of Scottish football gives about East Stirling.

8 hours ago, Glasgowmancity said:

I'm meant to be going to a game there on Sunday afternoon. 

nice pints available in "canalside" attached to the stadium or the kilted pig about 200 yards away

id offer you a coffee but ill be down leith watching the parade ;)

Sorry to see a club with Shire's long history drop out, but they have been crap for all my life on the whole.  It is generally good to see a proper pyramid now working at last.  The big big thing missing from the pyramid is the Junior clubs.

I can well understand the leading Juniors not wanting to participate in the Lowland Lge which is in all aspects inferior to the East  & West Juniors...but perhaps a way forward is to include the top Junior club in the end of season plau-offs. Maybe the Highland champions could first play-off with the North Junior champions,  and the East & West Junior champions playing off with winners facing the Lowland Lge champion.  Then the two remaining champion clubs playing off to face the bottom club of SPFL.

Everypart of Scottish football would then have a path into the league. 

It mayresult in the likes of Auchinleck and Linlithgow joining the Scottish league in the future and very welcome additions they would be too

• 10 months later...
On 5/16/2016 at 7:44 PM, Rory said:

It's a shame for East Stirling but in all honesty they brought absolutely nothing to the table. We played there a month or so ago & they must have only had 80-100 home supporters. What i do hope for them though is that dropping into the Lowland league can help them sort the club out, find a more suitable ground & if winning more games can start to get some supporters back through the turnstyle. From what i'm hearing though there is the chance of them going out of business(?) which obviously nobody likes to see.

With Edinburgh City in the league means we get two days out in the capital next season rather than Ochiliview, happy days! 

In the knowledge that you're a Clyde fan, and all that they've brought to the table - you'll be feeling a touch anxious after last night.

38 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

In the knowledge that you're a Clyde fan, and all that they've brought to the table - you'll be feeling a touch anxious after last night.

East Kilbride one win from winning the Lowland League after beating Hawick last night.  Should probably happen at Civil Service on Saturday but they've got four games if they need them.

Play-off v Buckie or Cove probably, winners to play Cowdenbeath (or Clyde)?

Just now, adamntg said:

East Kilbride one win from winning the Lowland League after beating Hawick last night.  Should probably happen at Civil Service on Saturday but they've got four games if they need them.

Buckie will bottle it. 

2 minutes ago, hoofitharder said:

Are there many non-league clubs in Scotland that are big enough (support/potential ) to make a mark on the Scottish leagues?

There's loads in the Highland League, but most of them would rather play there. Don't blame them either.

17 minutes ago, deecie said:

There's loads in the Highland League, but most of them would rather play there. Don't blame them either.

I have to say I don't blame them either. the travel costs would be prohibitive i would have thought .following a club in the English non-league i have seen quite a few clubs overspend  to gain promotion to the so called promised land of the football league to  come crashing back down the leagues.You only need look at the national league north with Stockport,Halifax,Boston,kidderminster and Darlington who have all played in the EFL in recent times.the pyramid system is a great idea but unfortunately it attracts too many cash rich egotists who take over clubs and have these dreams of turning them into premier league clubs but when they have gone up a couple of divisions they realise how costly it is to run a football club and bail out or their company goes bust leaving the club with massive debts (usually tax ) .It happened to us fortunately we have a guy who has taken over who pays the bills.I am not in favour of relegation playoffs .there should be just straight relegation but i do like the promotion playoffs i think it makes the league more interesting.

Ian

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

Having looked well detached a couple of weeks ago, Cowdenbeath could escape yet. They play Clyde a week on Saturday in a huge match (and Edinburgh the week after who aren't safe themselves).

1 hour ago, hoofitharder said:

I have to say I don't blame them either. the travel costs would be prohibitive i would have thought .following a club in the English non-league i have seen quite a few clubs overspend  to gain promotion to the so called promised land of the football league to  come crashing back down the leagues.You only need look at the national league north with Stockport,Halifax,Boston,kidderminster and Darlington who have all played in the EFL in recent times.the pyramid system is a great idea but unfortunately it attracts too many cash rich egotists who take over clubs and have these dreams of turning them into premier league clubs but when they have gone up a couple of divisions they realise how costly it is to run a football club and bail out or their company goes bust leaving the club with massive debts (usually tax ) .It happened to us fortunately we have a guy who has taken over who pays the bills.I am not in favour of relegation playoffs .there should be just straight relegation but i do like the promotion playoffs i think it makes the league more interesting.

Ian

Stockport are a massive club, with a great support. Hoepfully they are up in a proper league soon.