Offensive Behaviour Act - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Offensive Behaviour Act

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, andymac said:

And your point caller?

23 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Does anyone seriously believe that the three Unionist parties have the interests of football fans at heart ?

Labour hypocrisy really

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Im almost certain James Kelly (Lab) is another that has been invented solely to destroy the Scottish Labour party from within

http://wingsoverscotland.com/james-kelly-is-a-liar/

Kelly is a disgrace to Holyrood – a stumbling monotone oaf who voters have tried to expel from their Parliament, only to be foiled by a party so utterly bereft of talent that it has nobody better to offer Scotland than a useless liar who can’t even count to two

:lol:

The Rev can be an utter fanny at times but he has a good way with words!

11 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Kelly is a disgrace to Holyrood – a stumbling monotone oaf who voters have tried to expel from their Parliament, only to be foiled by a party so utterly bereft of talent that it has nobody better to offer Scotland than a useless liar who can’t even count to two

:lol:

The Rev can be an utter fanny at times but he has a good way with words!

Aye, he's pretty good sometimes.:lol:

5 hours ago, giblet said:

Listened to a lot of pish from the fans rep on BBC Radio Scotland this morning.

Apparently this act has led to an atmosphere of fear of the Police and fans treated like animals?  Absolute nonsense.

This act questions and holds to account for the first time old firms fans songbooks.  Agree Celtic fans seem to be more against it, is probably down to thinking it wouldnt have any impact on them.  This morning the fans rep tried to say existing breach of the peace law was sufficient, clearly in the 100 years beforehand it wasnt.   

Celtic fans are upset because it has shone a light on the less pleasant element of their support.  I don't remember much of an outcry from them when the act was introduced, probably because they thought it would result primarily in the 'ra hunz' landing in bother.  They are now playing the same 'cultural' card Rangers played when their songbook came under scrutiny around the time they were fined by UEFA.

The one sure way to stop this overnight would be to impose points deductions when fans of any team are singing songs that are deemed unacceptable.  However despite previous warnings, the SFA and the SPFL have turned a blind eye repeatedly.  You can be sure there will be some ditties at the cup final on Saturday and nothing will be done.  Celtic and Rangers will moan if there are points deductions, but tough - in essence they are 99% of the problem - sectarianism doesn't seem to be a major problem anywhere else and if it does occur it's more likely to be a copycat reaction.  It's Celtic and Rangers that have the ingrained, deep-rooted problem (and in my personal experience over the last 50 years it appears to be worse within the Rangers support where there is an extremely nasty element akin to those thugs that appeared in George Square the day after the referendum.  Scotland has moved into the 21st century, but those sorts have never left the 17th century.

Agree re: points deductions. I think it would stop pretty much overnight, mostly through self-policing. However, what's the incentive for the blazerati?

The Scottish government should just withdraw all funding from football in Scotland until points deductions are a realistic option. And while they're at it, keep the money in their pockets until they sort out a pyramidal structure and summer football.

23 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

Has nobody realised that this act doesn't just attack sectarian problems but all anti-social behaviour.

Your as likely to get done for calling someone a Weegie pr!ck as you are for calling someone a fenian pr!ck.

Is calling someone a weegie offensive?  I wouldn't have thought so.  No more so than calling someone a jock.  Fenian on the other hand is an indisputably sectarian term, nowadays at least.

56 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Is calling someone a weegie offensive?  I wouldn't have thought so.  No more so than calling someone a jock.  Fenian on the other hand is an indisputably sectarian term, nowadays at least.

I would have thought the "#####" part would be more offensive than either "weegie" or "Fenian". But some folk are easily offended by the slightest of things. I blame the namby pamby upbringing of recent generations of youngsters. None of the above would offend me.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I one you are picking someones religion to have a go, in the other it's their place of birth - both could have offense taken - although in the real world neither really would.

36 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I would have thought the "#####" part would be more offensive than either "weegie" or "Fenian". But some folk are easily offended by the slightest of things. I blame the namby pamby upbringing of recent generations of youngsters. None of the above would offend me.

Looks like the TAMB swear filter agrees with me. :lol: Pr!cks. :lol:

2 hours ago, Glasgowmancity said:

I one you are picking someones religion to have a go, in the other it's their place of birth - both could have offense taken - although in the real world neither really would.

My point is that "fenian" has certain sectarian connotations that "weegie" doesn't.  Maybe because sectarianism in the west of Scotland is based on "religious" grounds.  Fenian is not really normally used in a joking manner but is intended as an insult.  I don't think weegie is in the same mould, any more than calling someone from Oz an Aussie.

22 minutes ago, Alibi said:

My point is that "fenian" has certain sectarian connotations that "weegie" doesn't.  Maybe because sectarianism in the west of Scotland is based on "religious" grounds.  Fenian is not really normally used in a joking manner but is intended as an insult.  I don't think weegie is in the same mould, any more than calling someone from Oz an Aussie.

How would you refer to a citizen from Pakistan?

30 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Exactly context is the key, as it is with everything. It's nothing to do with whether you're shortening the name, which i'm hoping isn't the glaikit point being made above.

For instance when my pal's window got shot out for being a "Fenian" in the mid 90's.

Edited by phart

18 hours ago, scotlad said:

Celtic fans are upset because it has shone a light on the less pleasant element of their support.  I don't remember much of an outcry from them when the act was introduced, probably because they thought it would result primarily in the 'ra hunz' landing in bother.  They are now playing the same 'cultural' card Rangers played when their songbook came under scrutiny around the time they were fined by UEFA.

Absolute tripe.

15 hours ago, Alibi said:

I get your point, but my point was that this law is not an anti sectarian law, therefore if someone is offended by being "picked on" due to their place of birth, the person or people doing the "picking on" can find themselves in the same situation as someone doing it for religious reasons.

On 5/18/2016 at 6:22 PM, deecie said:

How would you refer to a citizen from Pakistan?

I'd say Pakistani.  The abbreviation has been turned into an insult in this country, leading to the situation where you can't really use an abbreviation in that particular case.

On 5/19/2016 at 9:24 AM, Glasgowmancity said:

I get your point, but my point was that this law is not an anti sectarian law, therefore if someone is offended by being "picked on" due to their place of birth, the person or people doing the "picking on" can find themselves in the same situation as someone doing it for religious reasons.

I am not au fait with the finer points of the law (or even the coarser points), but in principle it seems to be fairly popular - if it needs some amendments because there are unexpected consequences then amend it.  However as far as the supporters in the grounds are concerned, points deductions actually being applied would lead to a fairly rapid cessation of sectarian singing.

1 minute ago, Alibi said:

I'd say Pakistani.  The abbreviation has been turned into an insult in this country, leading to the situation where you can't really use an abbreviation in that particular case.

I am not au fait with the finer points of the law (or even the coarser points), but in principle it seems to be fairly popular - if it needs some amendments because there are unexpected consequences then amend it.  However as far as the supporters in the grounds are concerned, points deductions actually being applied would lead to a fairly rapid cessation of sectarian singing.

And would you be happy with teams getting points deducted for singing "In your Glasgow slums"?

Why not call it the offensive and sectarian/racist/bigoted/homophobic act?

That way it qualifies the type of offensive behaviour.

That said, if it gives powers to lift some toerag for being a tw@ who is swearing and acting an anti-social caant, I'm all for that.

J