Offensive Behaviour Act - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Offensive Behaviour Act

1 hour ago, Glasgowmancity said:

And would you be happy with teams getting points deducted for singing "In your Glasgow slums"?

I'd be happy with points getting deducted when it's not sung at a weegie team. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Glasgowmancity said:

And would you be happy with teams getting points deducted for singing "In your Glasgow slums"?

This is one of the most laughable, A+ category, infantile straw-man arguments that has been used on the TA board......and one that's been used by yourself for years now on here to excuse sectarian singing by Rangers fans by the way. 

It's the 'argument' that decades of sectarian singing is no worse than any other football song (including FoS, I think you said once), because everybody is offended by something.

I could go into the aspect of context, of history, of how that argument would never stand up in a court of law, of a hundred different things...but I won't, because pretty much everybody can understand the difference.

It's up there with the McTaz logic, that abusing people on colour or sexuality is exactly the same as teasing somebody about being ginger.

God bless the internet and its ability to allow people to 'reason' one-dimensionally. 

52 minutes ago, Rossy said:

This is one of the most laughable, A+ category, infantile straw-man arguments that has been used on the TA board......and one that's been used by yourself for years now on here to excuse sectarian singing by Rangers fans by the way. 

It's the 'argument' that decades of sectarian singing is no worse than any other football song (including FoS, I think you said once), because everybody is offended by something.

I could go into the aspect of context, of history, of how that argument would never stand up in a court of law, of a hundred different things...but I won't, because pretty much everybody can understand the difference.

It's up there with the McTaz logic, that abusing people on colour or sexuality is exactly the same as teasing somebody about being ginger.

God bless the internet and its ability to allow people to 'reason' one-dimensionally. 

In respect of this law I disagree.

On the more general argument put forward by rangers fans about what they can and can't sing, you are correct. Creating grey areas and attempting to muddy the waters. I agree.

Partick thistle fans getting pulled up for singing FTP and FTQ is a great example of the point being missed completely.

Not that it shouldn't apply to Thistle, Motherwell or anybody else, but is that really offensive?

8 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

In respect of this law I disagree.

On the more general argument put forward by rangers fans about what they can and can't sing, you are correct. Creating grey areas and attempting to muddy the waters. I agree.

Partick thistle fans getting pulled up for singing FTP and FTQ is a great example of the point being missed completely.

Not that it shouldn't apply to Thistle, Motherwell or anybody else, but is that really offensive?

IN respect to this law, you're right. I think we're all agreed that it's a vague and poor piece of legislation. 

However,like you,  I find the deliberately-designed-to-muddy-the-water 'reasoning' that songs that glory sectarianism and bigotry are exactly the same as (for instance) 'in your Glasgow slums' or 'sheep shagging bast*rds', to be laughably insulting.

Anyone with an ounce of sense knows the difference and to try and argue otherwise is simply being deliberately obtuse.

Edited by Rossy

Rossy, we're talking in respect of this law though.

Also, I'm not excusing sectarian singing in anyway, And offensive singing is a lot worse than a lot of football songs - I can't remember ever saying that I thought FOS was offensive in anyway, but you might be right, to put it plainly, I don't think it is.

You might see it as muddying waters, but IMO there is no difference between having a go at someone due to their religion or due to their place of birth.

9 minutes ago, The White Ceelo said:

Would it still be breaking the rules if RFC fans changed the words to "dope" instead of "Pope"  or "green yin" instead of "fenian" although most would still assume the original words were sung. How would the courts react if you used this as a defence?

I think the intent would still be there.

Imagine it was "paki" or "nigger" and you changed it slightly.....

In yer Glasgow slums is banter.  I'm all for more of these songs at the fitba. 

Sheep, teuchter, farmers etc. That's not offensive in the slightest. 

Allow home and away fans to be a bit closer so we can have proper sing-offs again.  The atmosphere was removed due to Lego stadiums and housing away fans as far away as possible. 

Was asked to leave Ibrox for calling a Rangers supporter "Harry Potter". Yet songs of hate were being sung...