Muirfield - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

http://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/36331270

Muirfield has been thrown off the Open circuit as they have voted not to accept membership applications from women.

I'm not sure I can see what all the fuss is about, if they are a private club then they can admit who they want and if that means barring women members and not making their course eligible for the Open then so be it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicola Sturgeon has said it is simply indefensible.

I would have thought that with them being a private members club they could do more or less as they seen fit as regards who became a member and have obviously quite rightly telt the R & A to do one.

I might apply.

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Quite right too.  They'll be wanting the vote next.

sexist-counterprotest-at-antisexism-demo

Well I believe women should treated the same as men, including retirement age, but as they are a private club I think they shouldn't be made to do something their members don't want and have obviously said so by the vote.

17 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

I think they shouldn't be made to do something their members don't want and have obviously said so by the vote.

Agreed. If it's what the members want, fine.

And if the R&A want to ditch them for making that decision, also fine...

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Well I believe women should treated the same as men, including retirement age, but as they are a private club I think they shouldn't be made to do something their members don't want and have obviously said so by the vote.

And if they wanted to be a whites only club?

18 minutes ago, jailender said:

From something I heard on Radio Scotland earlier, 64% voted to allow women members, but the motion failed as it needed a 75% majority, In which case, there will be a lot of pissed off members.

It's a perfect result for the chaps down at the club, makes it appear like they did want equality without actually having to allow it.

Bravo.

5 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

And if they wanted to be a whites only club?

Then that's fine. 

Its private,that's the whole point. 

If they want a club where you're only admitted if you have size 14 feet,a crocodile as a pet and wear a gimp mask at all times,that's cool too. 

Men cant play the women's open,women can play in the men's though. (To my knowledge)

Whats that all about?

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Then that's fine. 

Its private,that's the whole point. 

If they want a club where you're only admitted if you have size 14 feet,a crocodile as a pet and wear a gimp mask at all times,that's cool too. 

Men cant play the women's open,women can play in the men's though. (To my knowledge)

Whats that all about?

Presumably you didn't have a problem when Rangers didn't sign Catholics. 

An arrogant bunch of no voting teuchtars, no surprise really. In addition, anyone, anyone who is a member of a private members club is fundamentally for the watching. If I knew anyone who was a member of a private members club I wouldn't let them out of my sight.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

its not about having a problem with it or not, its about them being a private club and they can make up the rules to suit them (provided they are within the law). rangers are the same, provided they do not knock back catholics who apply for jobs on the basis of their religion (pretty sure that's illegal).

18 minutes ago, aaid said:

Rangers was a Plc, not a private members club. And the refusal to sign Catholics was a breach of employment law.

Women want (and deserve imho) membership of this private club, not jobs at it. If the HCEG refused to employ women on the grounds of their gender that would be illegal. Refusing membership is not.

A totally incomparable situation.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

27 minutes ago, Mox said:

An arrogant bunch of no voting teuchtars, no surprise really. In addition, anyone, anyone who is a member of a private members club is fundamentally for the watching. If I knew anyone who was a member of a private members club I wouldn't let them out of my sight.

I'm not surprised your membership was vetoed.

33 minutes ago, aaid said:

I didn't really have much of an interest to be perfectly honest. 

As a 7 year old boy,I was far more concerned about my Action Force toys and climbing trees. 

22 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Rangers was a Plc, not a private members club. And the refusal to sign Catholics was a breach of employment law.

Women want (and deserve imho) membership of this private club, not jobs at it. If the HCEG refused to employ women on the grounds of their gender that would be illegal. Refusing membership is not.

A totally incomparable situation.

So do you agree that I should be allowed to enter women's competitions then,play off the same tees and say khunt when I miss a putt. 

All for equality of course. 

11 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

So do you agree that I should be allowed to enter women's competitions then,play off the same tees and say khunt when I miss a putt. 

All for equality of course. 

If the private club running the competition allow it then no problem. If they say you can't, then no. Private club, private rules.  If I said khunt every time I missed a putt there would be a hell of a lot of khunts being spoken.

My point really is that no matter how outdated a policy may be, I firmly support the right of a private members club to operate it.

When it comes to employment, public companies or publicly funded bodies then that's a different matter.

Equality is something which society needs to settle on, in the private clubs sense, and not something which should be legislated for.

If HGEC wishes to block membership for women then it ought to have the right to do so, just as the rest of society has the right to express its opinion and take whatever action it feels is relevant which includes the right of the R & A to remove Muirfield off the Open rota.

HGEC will have to live with the consequences of its decision. If it cannot do so then it may have little option but to revisit its policy. If it can then good luck to it.