Muirfield - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

6 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

If the private club running the competition allow it then no problem. If they say you can't, then no. Private club, private rules.  If I said khunt every time I missed a putt there would be a hell of a lot of khunts being spoken.

My point really is that no matter how outdated a policy may be, I firmly support the right of a private members club to operate it.

When it comes to employment, public companies or publicly funded bodies then that's a different matter.

Equality is something which society needs to settle on, in the private clubs sense, and not something which should be legislated for.

If HGEC wishes to block membership for women then it ought to have the right to do so, just as the rest of society has the right to express its opinion and take whatever action it feels is relevant which includes the right of the R & A to remove Muirfield off the Open rota.

HGEC will have to live with the consequences of its decision. If it cannot do so then it may have little option but to revisit its policy. If it can then good luck to it.

Now I'm in no way having a go at your opinion,but in the time you took to post that,you could've filled out a membership form and been declined from here. 

http://www.curves.eu/uk

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

So do you agree that I should be allowed to enter women's competitions then,play off the same tees and say khunt when I miss a putt. 

All for equality of course. 

It might be a wee bit embarrassing if you didn't win.:lol: 

And you would have to wear a skirt. Why the fuk would you want to enter a ladies competition?

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It might be a wee bit embarrassing if you didn't win.:lol: 

And you would have to wear a skirt. Why the fuk would you want to enter a ladies competition?

Shorter holes. Driving had always been the weakest part of my game.

As for crossdressing, that's though choice.

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

I didn't really have much of an interest to be perfectly honest. 

As a 7 year old boy,I was far more concerned about my Action Force toys and climbing trees. 

Bang your head a lot when you fell out of them then?

http://www.effw.co.uk/dundee

Women only gym in Dundee, and many more across the country. Whats the difference?

Muirfield is a private club, if they want to do this, then its up to them. Instead of being outraged, people can go elsewhere. Just as men wanting to join a gym in Dundee can use another one. At least women can still play at Muirfield, a man cant gain entry to EFFW.

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Now I'm in no way having a go at your opinion,but in the time you took to post that,you could've filled out a membership form and been declined from here. 

http://www.curves.eu/uk

Lol aye true.

If curves don't want me to join cos I'm a bloke then fair dos. I'd not want to join anyway!

23 minutes ago, kumnio said:

http://www.effw.co.uk/dundee

Women only gym in Dundee, and many more across the country. Whats the difference?

Muirfield is a private club, if they want to do this, then its up to them. Instead of being outraged, people can go elsewhere. Just as men wanting to join a gym in Dundee can use another one. At least women can still play at Muirfield, a man cant gain entry to EFFW.

I agree that it's their decision and they will manage to live with the consequences, but it's also right for the R&A to take them off the Open circuit. If Troon goes he same way, and Turnberry is out of the equation for the foreseeable future, they might just need to alternate between St Andrews and Carnoustie for Scottish venues?  

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I agree that it's their decision and they will manage to live with the consequences, but it's also right for the R&A to take them off the Open circuit. If Troon goes he same way, and Turnberry is out of the equation for the foreseeable future, they might just need to alternate between St Andrews and Carnoustie for Scottish venues?  

Yeah totally agree. Muirfield can do what they like, but the R&A cant be seen to support it.

It doesnt put me up nor down either way. Plus its a feckin game hitting a wee ba about, its hardly Rosa Parks stuff.

Given that Muirfield had the 2013 Open it was unlikely to be staged there until around 2025 anyway. The minority of members that voted against the membership change have done so knowing they can vote again in a few years, vote in favour of changing the membership rules and get the Open back not much later than they would have anyway. They know it's only a matter of time before the rules change. In the meantime they haven't had to put up with those pesky women for a few extra years. The R&A should tell the HCEG that they won't qualify to host an Open until women have been allowed to be members for 10 years.

Comparing an all mens golf club to a women only gym is nonsense. Such gyms are a recent construct set up for women who want to work out without being gawked at and hit upon by letches. Men only golf clubs are a remnant of the 19th century when men still considered themselves to be the superior sex.

If HCEG had rules that barred anyone based on their race, ethnicity or sexual orientation there would be outrage. Why should it be any different for women?

6 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Then that's fine as I'm in a club where you're only admitted if you have size 14 feet,a crocodile as a pet and wear a gimp mask at all times,that's cool too. 

Can't believe you still go there. 

4 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I'm all for equal rights but it works both ways. Next time your on a cruise liner that's sinking don't let women on the dinghys first, they'll soon show there true feminazi colours

Thank God for that rule, although really sad that absolutely no men survived the Titanic, Concordia, others that I don't remember but happy that all the female passengers survived**. Phew.

** 1st and 3rd class, whilst separated and 1st treated differently were nothing like Csmeron's pile of pish.

My personal rule is, if women are to be allowed at clubs they must pay exactly the same as men. If that's the case then I don't see why clubs don't allow male and female members. 

1 hour ago, Jaggy Jim said:

Given that Muirfield had the 2013 Open it was unlikely to be staged there until around 2025 anyway. The minority of members that voted against the membership change have done so knowing they can vote again in a few years, vote in favour of changing the membership rules and get the Open back not much later than they would have anyway. They know it's only a matter of time before the rules change. In the meantime they haven't had to put up with those pesky women for a few extra years. The R&A should tell the HCEG that they won't qualify to host an Open until women have been allowed to be members for 10 years.

Comparing an all mens golf club to a women only gym is nonsense. Such gyms are a recent construct set up for women who want to work out without being gawked at and hit upon by letches. Men only golf clubs are a remnant of the 19th century when men still considered themselves to be the superior sex.

If HCEG had rules that barred anyone based on their race, ethnicity or sexual orientation there would be outrage. Why should it be any different for women?

All men are letches then?

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Why's Turnberry out of the equation? 

Could always go back to Prestwick ?

And there are probably other suitable courses - some of those used for the Scottish Open for example.

Edited by biffer

13 minutes ago, biffer said:

Why's Turnberry out of the equation? 

Could always go back to Prestwick ?

And there are probably other suitable courses - some of those used for the Scottish Open for example.

how many opens have been held at prestwick and was it only 9 holes back in day 

11 hours ago, Jaggy Jim said:

So sexual discrimination is ok if it's aimed at men, but not women effectively. Ok then. 

1 hour ago, wheres the pies said:

how many opens have been held at prestwick and was it only 9 holes back in day

The first dozen or so Opens were at Prestwick. Pretty sure it was 18 holes but the course was deemed too small once the popularity of the tournament increased...

11 hours ago, Jaggy Jim said:

Men only golf clubs are a remnant of the 19th century when men still considered themselves to be the superior sex.

18th century in this case. Muirfield's rules were in place while the Battle of Prestonpans was going on just down the road!

2 hours ago, biffer said:

The Open is always held on a Links course, The scottish open isnt...