Muirfield - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

20 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

I'm sure i read somewhere that at one time some of the members thought hosting the open was a nuisance as they couldn't play.

Aye that was touched on last night. The fact it's unavailable for a month around Open time annoys them.

Mind you the millions it brings in to the local economy probably doesn't matter to you if you can afford to be a member of the HCEG...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, stocky said:

The Open is always held on a Links course, The scottish open isnt...

Castle Stuart, Royal Aberdeen, Gullane. All links courses.  Questionable if Castle Stuart has the infrastructure to stage an Open (the only reason which has prevented it coming to Dornoch) but the other two could.

Outside of Scotland there's also been talk of Royal Porthcawl being added to the rota following the success there of the Senior Open revently.

The Open will miss Muirfield for sure, but there are other courses well capable of taking its place on the rota.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

1 hour ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Castle Stuart, Royal Aberdeen, Gullane. All links courses.  Questionable if Castle Stuart has the infrastructure to stage an Open (the only reason which has prevented it coming to Dornoch) but the other two could.

Outside of Scotland there's also been talk of Royal Porthcawl being added to the rota following the success there of the Senior Open revently.

The Open will miss Muirfield for sure, but there are other courses well capable of taking its place on the rota.

Loch Lomond isnt/wasnt.... Scottish  Open was help there for years.

I am pretty sure  the Open state has to be a Links course...  Could be wrong tho..

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The fact it's unavailable for a month around Open time annoys them.

Thats why the Members of Loch Lomond didn't want the Scottish Open played there any more...

1 hour ago, stocky said:

Loch Lomond isnt/wasnt.... Scottish  Open was help there for years.

I am pretty sure  the Open state has to be a Links course...  Could be wrong tho..

Yeah you're right. The Open has to be a links course, but the Scottish Open doesn't. However some of the links courses where it has been played could also host The Open.

The R&A could replace Muirfield if it had to, although there are plenty courses on the rota anyway with the recent (re)inclusion of Royal Portrush.

3 hours ago, biffer said:

Yes, the R&A has approved the changes but in my view it is still butchery.

One of the finest courses in the world and widely regarded as the best in the UK, it needs no tampering with. Especially not the iconic ninth hole and turning it into a par 3 which is akin to artexing the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

11 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I'm sure i read somewhere that at one time some of the members thought hosting the open was a nuisance as they couldn't play.

When I first heard about this I thought it probably had more to do with the old farts not wishing to be disturbed rather than not wishing woman members.

9 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

I am outraged by this. And I will continue to be outraged when I am refused entry to the Women's Guild meeting tonight for the sole reason that I have a penis.

It's okay, if it's a really teeny penis they'll let you in.

They've reserved your seat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20 May 2016 at 3:58 PM, DaveyDenoon said:

Yes, the R&A has approved the changes but in my view it is still butchery.

One of the finest courses in the world and widely regarded as the best in the UK, it needs no tampering with. Especially not the iconic ninth hole and turning it into a par 3 which is akin to artexing the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

Whilst I'm not disagreeing with you (I'm always worried when people piss around with great golf courses, and sporting venues generally) Andree Cotter has tweeted today about being out on the course and how magnificent it is. Trump may be an utter cockwomble but he does seem to have people in his organisation who truly understand golf. 

On 5/19/2016 at 4:00 PM, dan cake said:
On 5/20/2016 at 2:44 PM, dandydunn said:

Royal Aberdeen wouldn't have the space to hold it. 

Trump on the other hand.........

It could hold it.  We just don't want it....bit like the Scottish Open. :P (Which we did enjoy having but couldn't host it over next few years (as requested) because of the planned course changes.)

20 hours ago, biffer said:

Whilst I'm not disagreeing with you (I'm always worried when people piss around with great golf courses, and sporting venues generally) Andree Cotter has tweeted today about being out on the course and how magnificent it is. Trump may be an utter cockwomble but he does seem to have people in his organisation who truly understand golf. 

His course North of Aberdeen is really quite amazing....  Bitter sweet!

17 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Could it? I didn't think there would be the space for the additional spectators. 

There may be an issue if the Exhibition Centre closes and whatever goes in there next doesn't keep the enormous car park. It's adjacent to the course with many entrance points.