English league expansion - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English league expansion

19 minutes ago, JasMc1973 said:

rangers and Celtic playing in Scotland :blink:

fixed it, same argument applies to both teams... 

not a strong one..  but same ;-)

It is just the EPL teams wanting to have B teams in a proper league rather than development squads or academy teams. if the pay off to the the FL is big enough it will go ahead.The conference national is basically division five now so i can't see what the big difference would be unless they allow EPL B teams.

ian

There is no way u could have Celtic or Rangers playing in the bottom division of a league. ...oh wait. ...

Seriously this proposal will have nothing to do with Celtic or Rangers or any other Scottish or non English club 

It May though involve B teams for Man Utd Chelsea Arse nal etc but as a supporter of a team currently languishing in the conference I certainlyhope all new clubs come from the conference cos we are too ccrap to win promottion otherwise !

In principle, I think this is a good idea.

There are huge swathes of clubs with professional aspirations who deserve a chance on the ladder.

AFC Wimbledon are a case in point. 13 years old, about to play at Wembley in a playoff to move in to the same league as the "club" that replaced them. Come on, that's what football is all about.

Any promotion (commercially or otherwise) of small clubs should be applauded.

I maybe wrong, but I can't see the dilution of the lower leagues with B and C teams like we see in Spain and Germany. The pyramid is too strong.

I think on the face of it most objections will be as much to do with a sentimental attachment to "the 92"; it's what English supporters grow up on & I've been trying to reach a point where I'd seen Huddersfield play on "all 92" since I was a kid. In reality though automatic promotion & relegation to the conference have created what I have thought for a long time is a sort of 'virtual division 5'; especially when you look at the number of ex-league teams in there now.

I don't particularly see it as any sort of conspiracy this time & don't think it's about Celtic & Rangers. I actually think there's a high level of opposition to them joining amongst most lower division English teams & the EPL don't really need them.

I agree with Dave as well that there's no real need or great desire for B teams so don't think that's what it's about. There are far too many aspirational non-league teams for that to be seen as fair. Teams in the top half of the conference can often pull in crowds of 2000+ so are able to sustain a basic professional set-up.

What does always aggravate me though is the 'fixture congestion' argument. This is really about the elite teams. If you support a team that generally drop out of the cup early on & only see Europe on a package holiday then the season is about right. They could resolve their issues by reducing the number of CL games but I somehow doubt that will happen. So, all I ask is that the new 8 are mainly grounds I've been to so that my "all 100" quest doesn't get more complicated. Oh and a cup run involving Man Utd, West Ham, Liverpool, Spurs & Man City away would help.

Edited by Huddersfield
typos

Always thought Rangers / Celtic should  sell up Ibrox / Celtic Park and buy out a struggling northern English club, for example Darlington, then invite the other half of the Old Firm to ground share. Access to the glorious English league achieved and we are shot of the bigoted glory hunting chunts. Their fans are used to travelling from all over the country so an extra few miles won't make any difference. 

Edited by Och Aye

4 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Always thought Rangers / Celtic should  sell up Ibrox / Celtic Park and buy out a struggling northern English club, for example Darlington, then invite the other club to ground share. Access to the glorious English league achieved and we are shot of the bigoted glory hunting chunts. Their fans are used to travelling from all over the country so an extra few miles won't make any difference. 

I think they may have tried that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Nation_F.C.

This lot were a very strange outfit playing in the umpteenth tier but attracting professional managers & big sponsorship. Obviously they were playing very close to the border which I think led many people to think they were some sort of Trojan Horse club.