Mark Warburton - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, derekfaejapan said:

There should be an age restriction on this board to stop kids signing up.

You've spent the last day calling everyone kunts :lol: 

Guest BlueGaz

Unless you're Lloyd Grossman, it doesn't rhyme. We can put that down to over exuberance and 114 years of pent up emotion though, so you're all good :wub:

Edited by BlueGaz

I do appreciate that he tries to get Rangers to play football, but tactically Stubbs stitched him up like a kipper on Saturday.

As one of the papers said this morning, if with Rangers Plan A doesn't work, they resort again to Plan A.

I would love to see Johnny Hayes up against the 50 yard gap that plays right-back for Rangers.

1 minute ago, Rossy said:

I do appreciate that he tries to get Rangers to play football, but tactically Stubbs stitched him up like a kipper on Saturday.

As one of the papers said this morning, if with Rangers Plan A doesn't work, they resort again to Plan A.

I would love to see Johnny Hayes up against the 50 yard gap that plays right-back for Rangers.

It works for a while when you have a defensive midfielder who covers while your wing backs are getting forward. With Ball suspended, We didn't have a player who could do this. There has been no plan B really this season- which was evident from the bench even before the game started. Stubbs exploited this well.

Guest BlueGaz
27 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I couldn't disagree with that more.  I thought Hibs deserved the win, but it certainly wasn't Stubbs outwitting Warburton.  If you look at the 3 goals, tactically there wasn't much wrong with them.  1. Why did no one challenge Stokes and let him run right up to the keeper?  He then took it well to finish.  2. Unusually, Tav had a bad game, I don't know why, but the challenge on Stokes was half hearted at best, bad defending.  3. No challenge on Gray for his goal. Non whatsoever.  All the goals were individual, defensive errors by Rangers, and well done to Hibs for capitalising on them.  For me, tactics were ok and proven, but the players were not capable of playing to the level they have recently and putting in a performance worthy of a win.

I agree with Plan A, Plan B etc, which is something that needs to be sorted for next year.  Was good enough to achieve goals this year, at a canter, but it won't be next year.

Edited by BlueGaz

15 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I couldn't disagree with that more.  I thought Hibs deserved the win, but it certainly wasn't Stubbs outwitting Warburton.  If you look at the 3 goals, tactically there wasn't much wrong with them.  1. Why did no one challenge Stokes and let him run right up to the keeper?  He then took it well to finish.  2. Unusually, Tav had a bad game, I don't know why, but the challenge on Stokes was half hearted at best, bad defending.  3. No challenge on Gray for his goal. Non whatsoever.  All the goals were individual, defensive errors by Rangers, and well done to Hibs for capitalising on them.  For me, tactics were ok and proven, but the players were not capable of playing to the level they have recently and putting in a performance worthy of a win.

I agree with Plan A, Plan B etc, which is something that needs to be sorted for next year.  Was good enough to achieve goals this year, at a canter, but it won't be next year.

Stokes started off the game by pulling wide-left and running into space.That's what he did all game.....but Rangers didn't seem to figure that devious plan out until the point that some fat guy in a green shirt was swinging off the crossbar wondering what the cracking noise was.

Considering that Stokes runs with all the speed of an asthmatic pulling an anchor, and given the fact that Cummings was non-existant until he was hooked, you've got to wonder why Hibs found it so easy to cause chaos in the Rangers box.

I suggest it was the inflexibility of Warburton's tactics.

Equally, the subs. that Hibs brought on when they were chasing the game....Henderson especially...seemed to completely flummox everyone connected with Rangers. By this time they were 2-1 up and had brought on the hopelessly ineffectual Clark and Shields to continue the 'Plan A' tactics of the previous 80 minutes.

Hibs simply pushed Henderson forward, flooded the midfield, and chased Rangers down from the edge of their own penalty area.

Why didn't Warburton bring on a more defensive minded midfielder instead of a forward ? Why didn't he try to do something about the dominance Hibs were gaining in midfield ?

I honestly think Stubbs 'out-tacticed' Warburton on Saturday, and it wasn't even all that hard.

3 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Why didn't Warburton bring on a more defensive minded midfielder instead of a forward ? Why didn't he try to do something about the dominance Hibs were gaining in midfield ?

Who thought? We don't have one- and that's one of his failings.

Guest BlueGaz

Still disagree with you.  I agree with your description of Stokes and cannot fathom why the defence were scared of him.  When he hit the post is another example to add to his first goal.  But still disagree it was Stubbs versus Warburton.  The reason Hibs had so much of the ball in the first place was errors by Rangers players.  First touch, shit, passing, shit, running with the ball, shit.  

You take the individual errors away and for argument sake, take the performance against Celtic, or even more so the performance against Dundee, then its a very different game, but not because of tactics, because of the performance of the players.

Warburton seems like a decent chap in an otherwise thoroughly unlikable club.

But Stubbs had them (or the hibs players themselves) pumped up right from kick off.  First to every ball.  Not sure that's tactics or sheer mental preparation but that's what set the scene for hibs' victory.  When there's not THAT much between the teams in terms of quality, that can make the difference.

That David Gray was like a man possessed.  One of the most full bloodied, driven performances i've ever seen watching the game.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

4 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

It works against Dumbarton and other shite like that 

Then he played the Hibees and suddenly it dawned

That would be the same shite that took 6 point of the Hibees last season, right?  Just checking.  

Anyway, it will be good to have you in the Championsip yet again next season.  

Edited by Denny's Yard

I think it was the lack of competitive games Rangers had from winning the Championship and the 3 week layoff that did it for them.  They seemed to be a half yard behind the Hibs team especially in first half.

Once you get out the rhythm of winning and playing well its hard to get back to that standard, we know to our cost through our horrific March period. 

42 minutes ago, giblet said:

I think it was the lack of competitive games Rangers had from winning the Championship and the 3 week layoff that did it for them.  They seemed to be a half yard behind the Hibs team especially in first half.

Once you get out the rhythm of winning and playing well its hard to get back to that standard, we know to our cost through our horrific March period.

Agreed, though I also don't think Stubbs has got enough credit for getting his players over the Falkirk result.

Also trying to work out earlier- but any ideas how many more games you guys played than us this season?

50 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Agreed, though I also don't think Stubbs has got enough credit for getting his players over the Falkirk result.

Also trying to work out earlier- but any ideas how many more games you guys played than us this season?

That was mentioned on Saturday. It's something like 5 games.

You bring up a decent point about the Falkirk game......one thing guaranteed to help Hibs recover from that was a goal inside the first 5 minutes in the cup final. 

So what happens ? Rangers come out with lead boots on and looking like they'd just fallen out of bed half an hour before the kick off. 

The player's fault, or is Warburton culpable as well ?

Players probably thought the hard work was already done beating Celtic 

Edited by Ally Bongo

6 minutes ago, Rossy said:

The player's fault, or is Warburton culpable as well ?

Both I would say - think its the first major time that Warburtons small squad approach has really backfired. With Ball out, there was no one to play that role. Although I don't really think it you can really say the players weren't up for it, simply that with the exception of Miller, each hibs player was better than this opposite number. When that's happening, you look for your manager to change things- and as discussed before- there was no plan b.

Also though McGinn was excellent on Saturday. Seems to have been somewhat glossed over with the praise Stokes is getting.