Planes, trains and now automobiles - French fuel crisis - France v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Planes, trains and now automobiles - French fuel crisis

TartanTokyo

Obviously most are travelling by air and/or train and worried about the strikes but seen no mention of the fuel crisis which could be a problem for those driving or hiring cars over there.

Oil refineries being blockaded and at last look over 4000 Petrol stations out of fuel with most of the others rationing as little as 15 Euros worth per vehicle. We are heading over for a few days on holiday first. Will be fine to get to Metz but journey home was giving me some concern but apparently you are ok to take extra fuel supplies in the Eurotunnel but not on he ferries so looks like I will be investing in some jerry cans this weekend.

If you're driving to Metz, go thru Belgium and Luxembourg and avoid tolls, only 30mins longer, around 4 1/2 - 5hrs. Fill up in Lux as it's approx 90c a litre, about 75p for diesel.

Anyone driving down the M2, pull off at J4 and fill up at Sainsburys, Hempstead Valley, Rainham, 1/4 mile off the M2, for 20p a litre cheaper than the Medway services and no great delay. A full tank of fuel here, will easy get you to Lux, about 250miles away.

Edited by dessmfc
save money!

Cheers for the tip on the M2. We are staying about an hour west of Metz for a few days next week and won't be using the car while there so a full tank should get us there then on to Metz (as long as I don't drive the way I usually do). Can always do a hop across the border into Luxembourg or Germany from there.