Malta Info - Italy v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Malta Info

OLAS

Paceville
---------

I fully expect this to be the place everyone will descend on.  I personally hate it.  It's full of youngsters and can be a dangerous place.  Always see a fight or two each night.

Be very careful when going up and down "St.Rita's Steps".   You'll know it when you get there.   Narrow staircase with pimps and women trying to get you into their clubs.  Pickpockets are rife in that area.  Don't take any shyte.

These strip clubs are not like the "normal" ones across Europe and you will be ripped off.

Best places around Paceville (PV) are:   Bar Native, Footloose and Plush.   The others are much the same. 

Close by PV there's two main bars:  The Scotsman & Corks Irish Bar.   The Irish one is best of two rubbish bars.   The Scotsman is about as Scottish as the Queen's knickers and best avoided. 

Sliema
--------

MedAsia/TexMex/BlackGold - all along "Triq Ix -Xatt" / Promenade.  Across the road from the Valletta Ferry (on Sliema side). These really are the best places to go in Sliema.

MedAsia & TexMex do 2 for 1 cocktails between 3pm and 7pm each day.  They're pretty damn good! 

There's a lot more bars and many up side streets here and there.  It's better to stumble across them than go out your way looking.

On the other side of Sliema, you've got Surfside which is alright and Times Square, which is a bit boring.  

St.Julians. 
 ------------
 There's the odd bar here and there.    Near McDonalds at Spinola Bay you'll find a couple of Irishy bars.   It's better to head up towards Paceville from there. 

St.Paul's Bay/Bugibba/Qawra/Melliha
 ----------------------------

Full of English residents and tourists...  you'll easily find your typical British bar there.

Will add more info later on... 

Edited by OLAS

10 hours ago, peever1745 said:

Been in the Scotsmans bar s few times and found it quite good as with the Dubliner. 

The Scotsman is a dive.   If you like sticking to the carpet/bar and using manky toilets, then go for your life.  Pool table is shite and prices are way more than anywhere else.  

The Dubliner is awrite once in a blue moon.   Decent pint of Guinness and sometimes have live music. 

The Scotsman is putting on mini bus to the game on Sunday. Had a great night in there last night with a few of the boys. I've been in a lot worse places that this. I would call it a typical Scottish local 

OLAS - is this pub pub still as bad? Got my pic up in there from when were out with Partick Thistles under19s (good few years ago got a beer belly now) so got a soft spot for the place.

Also met up with a few years back in Buggiba with the now wife for a Scotland Australia friendly in the cactus bar

The standard of beer in Malta was horrendous. Kiss cider doesn't appear to taste quite as nice as I remember.

The Pub, Pub in Valletta was somehow worse than the iron horse.

Nice drilling rig in the bay though.