Scottish League Cup 1st Round Draw - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish League Cup 1st Round Draw

Scottish LeagueCup 1st Round Draw

Group A
 Dundee
 Dumbarton
 Peterhead
 Forfar Athletic
 East Fife
Group B
 St Johnstone
 Falkirk
 Brechin City
 Stirling Albion
 Elgin City
Group C
 Inverness Caledonian Thistle
 Dundee United
 Dunfermline Athletic
 Arbroath
 Cowdenbeath
Group D
 Ross County
 Raith Rovers
 Alloa Athletic
 Cove Rangers
 Montrose
Group E
 Partick Thistle
 Queen Of The South
 Stenhousemuir
 Queens Park
 Airdrieonians
Group F
 Motherwell
 Rangers
 Stranraer
 East Stirlingshire
 Annan Athletic
Group G
 Hamilton Academical
 Saint Mirren
 Edinburgh City
 Livingston
 Ayr United
Group H
 Kilmarnock
 Greenock Morton
 Berwick Rangers
 Albion Rovers
 Clyde

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

I hope you don't provoke yourself at the Stranraer game.

Yeah that could quite well happen. If at Stair Park I've hospitality lined up. Always a cracking day in there if you ever get drawn to them soon ?

37 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Big payday for Motherwell. Blue pound bonus time.

:lol:

We'll try our best not to goad, provoke or whatever the other one was in appreciation of you showering us with your blue pounds. (Or showering us in spit, pies and coins if it's at Ibrox. :P )

Edited by sbcmfc

Almost disappointed that the Dons aren't part of this as the new format seems pretty exciting. Fair play, for once, to the governing bodies (whoever they are in this particular instance).  I imagine there will be challenges for both top and lower level teams in getting teams out on 16 July though. 

Seems strange they didn't have some sort of template for the fixtures?

Even just the home/away side of things.

Understand they dont want all the team 1 v team 2 fixtures at once, but at least decide who's at home?

38 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Understand they dont want all the team 1 v team 2 fixtures at once, but at least decide who's at home?

Yeah, hopefully it's not too long until they sort the fixtures out. 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Winners and 4 best runners up. 

Happy with our group. Never been to Albion or Berwick so hopefully away. 

If it's a Saturday game at Berwick take my advice and do hospitality. 

Id go as far as saying it's the best set up outside the top league and will cost buttons.

40 minutes ago, jock strap said:

Why not just leave the Cups to who is drawn against who ? 

Gone all Champions League with this crap now. 

I would have liked to see all teams in a pot (still regonalised) then teams drawn at random. If that led to a group of 5 Preimer league teams or 5 3rd division teams then so be it.

I was actually looking at the history of the league cup yesterady as I knew they used to have groups stages, well before my time though.

Maybe some of our older users can calrify this but from wiki it looks like there used to be 8 groups of 4 teams and the top 16 teams would make up the first four groups with the 16 lowest teams in the league making up the other four groups. This guaranteed that 4 'top' teams would play 4 'lesser' teams in the quarter-finals.

Not a chance they would do that these days.

7 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

45 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

I would have liked to see all teams in a pot (still regonalised) then teams drawn at random. If that led to a group of 5 Preimer league teams or 5 3rd division teams then so be it.

I was actually looking at the history of the league cup yesterady as I knew they used to have groups stages, well before my time though.

Maybe some of our older users can calrify this but from wiki it looks like there used to be 8 groups of 4 teams and the top 16 teams would make up the first four groups with the 16 lowest teams in the league making up the other four groups. This guaranteed that 4 'top' teams would play 4 'lesser' teams in the quarter-finals.

Not a chance they would do that these days.

Was just about to post this. It's pish that teams are seeded. They talk about trying to improve crowds but, its difficult to get folk interested when the draw is geared towards the bigger sides doing well. The league cup is probably the best chance for a provincial club to lift a cup, but by seeding it at group stage it makes it even harder for them now. 

55 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

Is it? Have they ever actually platyed each other in a competative game before? Livi had left Medowbank Stadium a year before Edinburgh City moved in.

No they haven't played each other before and you're right about the timeline. But a lot (in relative terms anyway) of former Meadowbank fans started following Edinburgh City when Meadowbank moved to Livi.