Scottish League Cup 1st Round Draw - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish League Cup 1st Round Draw

15 hours ago, Mox said:

Spot on, they are flogging a dead horse. I've said on here many times it should be scrapped all together, although to be fair I have been in the minority.

Think the guys auld enough to remember them will agree with you. Remember a Motherwell v Forfar League Cup section match  being so quiet we heard Motherwell centre half Joe Carson fart. Hilarious when you are 12 and at the same time slightly deflating to hear such a footballing legend (remember I was 12) break wind.

Edited by Och Aye

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Mark Warburton says he'll not be playing 1st team in League Cup group stages. 

I'll give this format 3 seasons at most.

So He's only playing his under 30's squad?

20 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Mark Warburton says he'll not be playing 1st team in League Cup group stages. 

I'll give this format 3 seasons at most.

Warburtons a fücking zoomer. Greeting in the paper because he couldn't play cup tied players in the SC final

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Warburtons a fücking zoomer. Greeting in the paper because he couldn't play cup tied players in the SC final

To be fair, from what I read, he wasn't talking about cup tied players. He was talking about Rangers players who had been out on loan, who hadn't played in the cup and who had returned to Rangers who couldn't play as they weren't registered to play by the semi final.

1 hour ago, theweestevie said:

To be fair, from what I read, he wasn't talking about cup tied players. He was talking about Rangers players who had been out on loan, who hadn't played in the cup and who had returned to Rangers who couldn't play as they weren't registered to play by the semi final.

Aye but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story 

12 hours ago, theweestevie said:

You've got to draw a line somewhere.

Presumably these are guys who have been out on development loans, the sort of guys he would rather leave an empty seat than name on the bench anyway....

I'd be pretty surprised if Rangers didn't bring a pretty strong team to fir park in a fortnight. 

11 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

You've got to draw a line somewhere.

Presumably these are guys who have been out on development loans, the sort of guys he would rather leave an empty seat than name on the bench anyway....

I'd be pretty surprised if Rangers didn't bring a pretty strong team to fir park in a fortnight. 

Granted they were players that we had out on loan as you said but given that our squad was stretched and we couldnt name a full bench the options would have been handy to have. I think of Hardy had been he would have been brought on for at least 15-20 minutes.

Of course we will take a strong team to motherwell. His comments about we won't be playing the strongest team until closer to the start of the league season will partly down to not knowing what the strongest 11 is. Especially when you have some of the players starting training a bit later, e.g. Barton, McKay. They might not be ready for the first few games.

Edited by theweestevie

1 minute ago, theweestevie said:

Of course we will. His comments about we won't be playing the strongest team until closer to the start of the league season will partly down to not knowing what the strongest 11 is. Especially when you have some of the players starting training a bit later, e.g. Barton, McKay. They might not be ready for the first few games.

Yeah.

Dont get me wrong, I expect Motherwell to rotate the squad a bit for the other 3 games too.

9 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

Granted they were players that we had out on loan as you said but given that our squad was stretched and we couldnt name a full bench the options would have been handy to have.

You could've named a full bench, Warburton simply chose not to. 

Just now, theweestevie said:

I don't think we could have, what other players did we have available?

You had no players from the development squad you could have named? 

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You had no players from the development squad you could have named? 

Not sure what happened with my last post.

I don't think so, they wouldn't have been registered as part of the first team as our development team was made up of 15/16/17 year olds. Our older youngsters were all out on loan for the second half of the season (I think we had 9 or 10 players out on loan) and couldn't play because they hadn't been registered by the semi final  despite  their loans finishing and being back at Rangers weeks before the final.

2 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

I don't think so, they wouldn't have been registered as part of the first team as our development team was made up of 15/16/17 year olds. Our older youngsters were all out on loan for the second half of the season (I think we had 9 or 10 players out on loan) and couldn't play because they hadn't been registered by the semi final  despite  their loans finishing and being back at Rangers weeks before the final.

Hibs had three players themselves they couldnt list.  Warburton chose a smaller bench to send a message out re transfer requirements to King et al.

Just now, theweestevie said:

They were out on loan, it's a quirk that your season lasted longer than the clubs you had loaned players out to.

I just can't even see an argument for being able to stick them back in your squad for the cup final.

Rangers also chose to loan these players out. Nobody forced them to, and anyway, I find it inconceivable that there were no eligible players available.

7 minutes ago, giblet said:

Hibs had three players themselves they couldnt list.  Warburton chose a smaller bench to send a message out re transfer requirements to King et al.

Maybe, buy genuinely, I can't name another player who we could have played. If you can think of someone feel free to enlighten me.

Edit: I am not trying to be difficult or an arse, i just genuinely can't think of anyone else who we could have named for the bench.

Edited by theweestevie

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

They were out on loan, it's a quirk that your season lasted longer than the clubs you had loaned players out to.

I just can't even see an argument for being able to stick them back in your squad for the cup final.

Rangers also chose to loan these players out. Nobody forced them to, and anyway, I find it inconceivable that there were no eligible players available.

I don't see why we shouldn't be able to stick them back in the squad if their loan spell had ended. And we would have been able to if we were still playing league games. It was because they hadn't been registered to play in the semi-final that they couldn't play in the final. Hardie had already played games in the Scottish Cup for Rangers in earlier rounds, but because he wasn't involved in the semi-final he wasn't able to play in the final. Seems a bit strange.

4 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

I don't see why we shouldn't be able to stick them back in the squad if their loan spell had ended. And we would have been able to if we were still playing league games. It was because they hadn't been registered to play in the semi-final that they couldn't play in the final. Hardie had already played games in the Scottish Cup for Rangers in earlier rounds, but because he wasn't involved in the semi-final he wasn't able to play in the final. Seems a bit strange.

So Rangers either didn't understand the rules of the competition or didn't fully consider them when agreeing loan deals. Yet this is someone else's fault? 

Just now, Parklife said:

So Rangers either didn't understand the rules of the competition or didn't fully consider them when agreeing loan deals. Yet this is someone else's fault? 

Where did I blame someone else? I was just saying why we couldn't name more players on the bench. The article I read where Warburton was speaking about this he wasn't complaining, he just said it would have been nice to have the players available for more options and it would have been a great experience for them being involved in a cup final.

Where did I blame someone else? I was just saying why we couldn't name more players on the bench. The article I read where Warburton was speaking about this he wasn't complaining, he just said it would have been nice to have the players available for more options and it would have been a great experience for them being involved in a cup final.

He shouldn't have sent them out on loan then. He sent them on loan to benefit Rangers. 

Looks like he fecked up. 

Warburton has left empty seats on the bench on more than this occasion.

Would he have given them that experience?

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/first-team-place-honour/

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

Warburton has left empty seats on the bench on more than this occasion.

Would he have given them that experience?

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/first-team-place-honour/

If they had earned it then yes. Boys like Hardie,Thompson, Burt, Walsh etc. have featured in the squad and played in matches sat various points throughout the season.

The article you linked to is for a league game where the registration rules are different, for the cup the rules are different. He was asked why he didn't name a full bench and he said he wasn't able to as the registration rules for the cup prevented players that were out on loan from playing, which he said it was a pity as it would have been a good experience for them, which it would have been. He wasn't complaining at the result, he wasn't saying that the result would have been different if he was allowed to name these players.