Paterson   Hanley   Martin  Mulgrew 

D. Fletcher   McArthur 

Ritchie     Naismith      Anya 

S. Fletcher

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect you will be right with that selection.

The team doesn't actually look too bad considering all the players that are unavailable.  Only Paterson is inexperienced although Mulgrew at left-back always worries me.

The biggest problem will come when we start to make mass changes as the options on the bench are quite a bit weaker in most areas.  If that was the starting XI, the subs would be Fox, Hamilton, Berra, Greer, Kingsley, Bryson, Burke, McGinn, McKay, Phillips & McCormack.

Hopefully we can keep it close in the first half and bring on the likes of Kingsley, Burke, McGinn and McKay in the second half.  If it is a hammering, then it could do more harm to their development by bringing them on.  

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I expect you will be right with that selection.

The team doesn't actually look too bad considering all the players that are unavailable.  Only Paterson is inexperienced although Mulgrew at left-back always worries me.

The biggest problem will come when we start to make mass changes as the options on the bench are quite a bit weaker in most areas.  If that was the starting XI, the subs would be Fox, Hamilton, Berra, Greer, Kingsley, Bryson, Burke, McGinn, McKay, Phillips & McCormack.

Hopefully we can keep it close in the first half and bring on the likes of Kingsley, Burke, McGinn and McKay in the second half.  If it is a hammering, then it could do more harm to their development by bringing them on.  

Think these are excellent fixtures that Strachan has picked- he says he needs to see if the players can play against the big nations. I recall MON took on a few big fixtures when he was appointed for ROI and took a a few hidings possibly. Having said that they're not going to help us beat the Georgia's away. Hoping to see McGinn at some point. Looks like he could cope well physically - hopefully kept those elbows sharp since last week ha.

3 minutes ago, JECK said:

Think these are excellent fixtures that Strachan has picked- he says he needs to see if the players can play against the big nations. I recall MON took on a few big fixtures when he was appointed for ROI and took a a few hidings possibly. Having said that they're not going to help us beat the Georgia's away. Hoping to see McGinn at some point. Looks like he could cope well physically - hopefully kept those elbows sharp since last week ha.

I'm not sure these are the best fixtures.  Playing teams like France and Italy is tough enough but to do it at the end of the season, when we have nothing to play for (and they are preparing for the finals), without a number of key players could see us defeated heavily twice.  

I guess it will be worth it if 2 or 3 of the newer players do well and make themselves serious options for the qualifiers. 

13 minutes ago, JECK said:

Northern Ireland done the same two years ago, took the two games in South America we refused, look how that turned out, good chance to build a bit of spirit.

That's a decent team. Would like to see more or Burke and Phillips at some point and hopefully some of Kingsley and McCormack. Good chance for Patterson to really stake a claim for RB as would expect him to play both games

14 hours ago, Fraser19 said:

My Prediction for the starting line up tomorrow;      

Marshall 

Paterson   Hanley   Martin  Mulgrew 

D. Fletcher   McArthur 

Ritchie     Naismith      Anya 

S. Fletcher

That's actually a decent team considering calls off and players rested. Want to see more of Fletcher and McArthur together in the defensive midfield spots.

Still think it's worth trying Martin at RB for part of the game, bringing Berra on to play alongside Hanley. Difficult to move Mulgrew into the centre as there's no cover at LB as far as I know with call offs ,etc,. Martin sometime plays RB for his club and bearing in mind the Hutton situation and lack of alternatives it's something we might have to do in the qualifiers.Hopefully Paterson impresses.

Felt pretty hopeless after last campaign but we should take inspiration from N.Ireland. On paper, how many of their players would you want in our squad?

54 minutes ago, Martin63 said:

Philips has had a very poor season with QPR - surprised he's in the squad

Not really. Strachan is an awe of journeymen Championship players who have had shite seasons.

Loves them.

10 minutes ago, Slide Tackle said:

Mcgregor

patterson Hanley Martin Mulgrew

Fletcher mcarthur

Ritchie phillips anya

McKormack

Cheers, found it on twatter eventualky. Mccornack first scorer for a laugh. Along with a few otherd

1 hour ago, bossman4 said:

Had a decent season, scored 7 goals. Rumours of west ham looking at him

I saw QPR play 20 plus times last season - he was not good. Played far better in his previous 2 seasons at Loftus Road. 

7 minutes ago, fringo said:

I was meaning your typos after the previous post. :lol:

??? didnt even notice. In work snd trying to be semi subtle im on the phone. Doesnt help my tablet sitting out in front with the football on though

We are murder to watch at times.

Can't hold on to the ball, see a pass, tackle, or create anything of substance. If Italy had a striker or the ability to keep the ball on target ; we could be 3-0 down at half-time.

Still, like the Czech game we'll end up robbing this 0-1, or getting a credible 0-0 and the press/mainstream media like Sky Sports will paint it up as a plucky Scotland in their 1 minute sports report praising us, before it all comes apart away fro home in the next qualifying campaign - not in England or Slovenia - but in Kaunas and Malta.

Saying all that, I did buy the new top today, so trying to be positive.