i think we'll beat malta - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

i think we'll beat malta

bonny78

I called it against georgia the day the draw was made and im calling this one too. Malta will be at best a draw. It's got that 'hot country' thing that makes all our pink faced players turn shite and that weird British arrogant attitude to 'pishy wee countries' thing that england can afford to have because they have the quality but we can't.

Malta lost 1-0 at home to Italy. They're no mugs. We'll be lucky to get a draw.

31 minutes ago, thewelk said:

I called it against georgia the day the draw was made and im calling this one too. Malta will be at best a draw. It's got that 'hot country' thing that makes all our pink faced players turn shite and that weird British arrogant attitude to 'pishy wee countries' thing that england can afford to have because they have the quality but we can't.

Malta lost 1-0 at home to Italy. They're no mugs. We'll be lucky to get a draw.

Agree. We will play defensively and at a slow pace and if they manage to take the lead I actually expect we will lose.

It's got banana skin written all over it with our squad filled of very average, tried and tested failures who we are sticking by with for yet another campaign playing the same system and a mid table finish in the group is in the offing.

Malta got spanked 6-0 away to the czechs the other night, from their last group though their worst defeat was a 3-0 home defeat to Norway.

I still think we'll win this one, will be tight but it wont be anything like last night. I think the fact its the first game may work in our favour.

1 hour ago, smiler82 said:

We will beat Malta 1-0 or 2-0 with a very underwhelming performance and then we will sleepwalk into 3rd place whilst showing some 'promise' for the next campaign

Standard Stuff 

agree with this.

i think our best bet is to make the games crazy and all over the place.  let's see if the mess lands in our favour.    

2 hours ago, bossman4 said:

Malta got spanked 6-0 away to the czechs the other night, from their last group though their worst defeat was a 3-0 home defeat to Norway.

I still think we'll win this one, will be tight but it wont be anything like last night. I think the fact its the first game may work in our favour.

That Czech game was a glorified B match.... Czech manager said the day of the game that he was going to use it to try two teams almost, with them making 9 substitutes (FIFA rules limit you to a maximum of 6, and as a result of both teams going over board FIFA will now not recognise the game and it will not count towards the world rankings), so would not look to much into that result.

Guest allyc
19 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I don't. I think we need a shock defeat/draw against a tiny nation to wake the SFA up, tbh.

It might've been better in the long run to draw that game against Liechtenstein a few years ago.

Yes that's what we need.to draw against Malta...ffs.we have had more than our fair share of embarrassing results against so called minnows in the last 15 years.

4 hours ago, allyc said:

Yes that's what we need.to draw against Malta...ffs.we have had more than our fair share of embarrassing results against so called minnows in the last 15 years.

I'm not saying I want a draw, but I think it could be the only way to make the SFA realise that we have a problem - our better players are ageing and there appears to be no-one to replace them at the moment. I fear that the standard of the national team is going to get worse in the coming years. We shouldn't drop points to Malta, but I can see it happening. It's the sort of game that I can see our players thinking is practically won before they turn up. Realistically, third is the best we can hope for in this group, but I feel fourth is more likely.

Edited by Clyde1998

We need to beat Malta and Lithuania home and away an I think we will. They aren't of the same quality as Italy or France

I think England will beat everyone again including us home and away would love a draw with them as that's the best I think we can hope for but with our defence it would be a big ask

The important issue is what we do against Slovenia and Slovakia

2 hours ago, borojock said:

We need to beat Malta and Lithuania home and away an I think we will. They aren't of the same quality as Italy or France

I think England will beat everyone again including us home and away would love a draw with them as that's the best I think we can hope for but with our defence it would be a big ask

The important issue is what we do against Slovenia and Slovakia

Really? Did you pay attention to the last qualifying campaign. Our head to heads with Poland and Ireland (the equivalent of Slovakia and Slovenia this time) were decent.

It is possible that England - like Germany in the last group - wont win every game. Except of course we dont see it like that - first seed should win every game, so lets just assume they will.

And Ireland and Poland took six points off of Georgia - we didn't. i agree with you that we should be looking for 12 points from the games against Malta and Lithuania. Slovakia and Slovenia will be expecting to do so. With our attitude though, we'll probably be happy with an away point here and there. 

53 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I am prepared to not judge Strachan on the last two games. Maybe it was last chance saloon for a few of his regular picks and now they are not going to be selected for the first game.

I'll be amazed if he ditches the likes of Greer and Brown come the Malta game.