Europa League 2016-17 - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 2016-17

If it's not the worst Scottish result in Europe, it's certainly up there. 

Definitely Aberdeen's worst result. 

Looking forward to the 9 points we take from the Sheep this season :)

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it's worse than Motherwell losing to Llanelli.

There were massive mitigating factors in that defeat, the manager inherited half a squad 3 days before the game.

We also won the 2nd keg comfortably.

Stjarnan and mypa 47 are in the same league, as we went out, although id argue both are better sides.

Looking at Derek McInnes' European record it has 2 ends of the spectrum.

Away win in Groningen was probably the club's best away win in Europe in it's history. He then eclipsed that last year winning 3-0 away to Rijeka.

The Fola result on Thursday however is most probably the club's worst away result in Europe.

Wouldn't even attempt to defend the score but would comment that on being at the 1st game they are not the pub team that some seem to think they are. 

Just as well the result itself was not one that knocked us out. Big improvement needed in the next round. 

19 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

they are not the pub team that some seem to think they are. 

Don't spoil their fun FFS, Angus ! ;) 

Seriously though - We were feckin rank and, given the circumstances, deserve all the ridicule that can be expected from an internet message board.

Thank fuk I'm on a plane the next two Thursday evenings......

5 hours ago, Rossy said:

I'm not defending anything. My comments beforehand make absolutely clear what I think.

I'm simply putting the comment 'worst ever Scottish result in Europe' into some kind of context.

If anyone thinks that an undercooked Aberdeen team losing 1-0 (but still going through) is as bad as Hibs losing 7-0 at home to Malmo, or Motherwell  losing at home to Llanelli, or even the Old Firm millionaires being humliated in Bratislava or Lithuania......then they're nuts.

Undercooked? Are the Luxemburgers at the height of their season I take it then? In full stride?

2 games into the 'start' of the season and the usual suspects are are out shooting their load over an Aberdeen loss (even though we got through).

Brilliant :lol::lol:

Let's hope it's a long season for these idiots :ok:

23 minutes ago, Rossy said:

2 games into the 'start' of the season and the usual suspects are are out shooting their load over an Aberdeen loss (even though we got through).

Brilliant :lol::lol:

Let's hope it's a long season for these idiots :ok:

So..... Are they at the height of their season then?

Between Llanelli and Fola Esch for worst ever I'd say.  I went to Luxembourg Premiership match on my holidays a few years ago and in terms of facilities, attendances and actual football, East Kilbride FC would be about the equivalent.  Mind you, it was the start of August and they'd just started their season, so maybe they were rusty.

Tough call, but I'd rate the League of Wales slightly higher than Luxembourg's.

10 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Between Llanelli and Fola Esch for worst ever I'd say.  I went to Luxembourg Premiership match on my holidays a few years ago and in terms of facilities, attendances and actual football, East Kilbride FC would be about the equivalent.  Mind you, it was the start of August and they'd just started their season, so maybe they were rusty.

Undercooked you mean.

41 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Whoop de feckin whoop.

Did you take your caravan ?

You do realise of course, that nobody actually really gives a fuqk about your wee crusade to make something out of this...given that Aberdeen got through ?

Cheers, for your input anyway :ok:

Edited by Rossy

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Whoop de feckin whoop.

Did you take your caravan ?

You do realise of course, that nobody actually really gives a fuqk about your wee crusade to make something out of this...given that Aberdeen got through ?

Cheers, for your input anyway :ok:

I did aye, stayed at the campsite at Heiderscheit.  

Maybe we should let others decide whether they think Aberdeen losing to Fola Esch is funny, rather than you declaring for everybody?  

Any else think Aberdeen being on the end of the worst ever result for Scortish club side in Europe is amusing, or is it indeed, as Rossy says, just me?

Edited by adamntg

4 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Amusing? Not really. Hugely embarrassing for Scottish Football? Without a doubt.

Hugely embarrassing? - apart from fans in Scotland I haven't seen any comment on it. 

Would have had far more comment had it resulted in elimination from the tournament but it didn't. 

1 minute ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Hugely embarrassing? - apart from fans in Scotland I haven't seen any comment on it. 

Would have had far more comment had it resulted in elimination from the tournament but it didn't. 

Given that the people on here wanking themselves silly because of Thursday, support clubs who's embarrassing and calamitous results in Europe are partly responsible for the piss poor co-efficient Scotland has, you think they'd shut up.

But no.

I hope they can keep these hard-ons going for at least a fortnight.

1 minute ago, Rossy said:

Stop posting utter pish then.

All I said was that Aberdeen's defeat to Fola Esch of Luxembourg could upstage Motherwell's defeat to Llanelli as the worst result ever for a Scottish club in Europe.  And since then you've been slowly melting.  

You should probably stick to following the arts, because I'm afraid you're far too sensitive for football and its leg-pulling culture. Brings out the worst in you. ?

22 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

There were 96 teams in Q1 qualifying?

48 seeded 48 unseeded.

Any one want to guess where Fola were ranked in the 96 clubs?

Dunno, but is their coefficient was 0.250 which is the lowest possible it seems.  They're level with clubs from San Marino and Andorra and behind teams from Gibraltar.  Based on that I'd say they'd be joint 96th?

Just now, adamntg said:

Dunno, but is their coefficient was 0.250 which is the lowest possible it seems.  They're level with clubs from San Marino and Andorra and behind teams from Gibraltar.  Based on that I'd say they'd be joint 96th?

Wrong and wrong.

Their coefficient was actually 3.550 giving them a ranking of 50th or the 2nd highest non seeded side.

Aberdeen with 5.460 were 24th and Hearts at 18th with 6.460.

The bottom 3 sides all have 0.700 - 2 from Wales and 1 from Gibralter. The highest ranked Welsh side are 88th with 1.200.

11 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Wrong and wrong.

Their coefficient was actually 3.550 giving them a ranking of 50th or the 2nd highest non seeded side.

Aberdeen with 5.460 were 24th and Hearts at 18th with 6.460.

The bottom 3 sides all have 0.700 - 2 from Wales and 1 from Gibralter. The highest ranked Welsh side are 88th with 1.200.

What's this then?

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/seasonclub/

222 CS Fola Esch LUX 0.250

Edit : Ah, wait, that's just for this season.  In which case, it was perfectly understandable that they pumped Aberdeen. 

Edit again : looked again.  Overall Fola Esch have 2.550 points overall while Jeunesse Esch (their more illustrious neighbours, Half Man Half Biscuit song etc) have 3.250.

Edited by adamntg
Had a closer look