Europa League 2016-17 - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 2016-17

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Aye but that's the point I've been making for a while. 

That is where we are ranked. 

Time we got over the 'we'll surely beat them' attitudes to some countries. Everyone else is improving whilst we are not. 

Indeed it's quite depressing, we must have the highest paid pub teams in Europe,

20 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Aye but that's the point I've been making for a while. 

That is where we are ranked. 

Time we got over the 'we'll surely beat them' attitudes to some countries. Everyone else is improving whilst we are not. 

And it's where we'll stay when our second best team are losing games in Luxembourg.  Now, that's not funny. 

Just now, adamntg said:

And it's where we'll stay when our second best team are losing games in Luxembourg.  Now, that's not funny. 

Wrong again.

Aberdeen got all the co-efficient points available for the tie by getting through to he next round.

I'm not saying saying that Thursday was not a massively poor and disappointing result but again remind you that we were not knocked out.  Points for winning individual games only happen in the group stages. 

We'll stay in that vicinity of co-efficient points until a few of our clubs make some serious progress on a regular basis. But as a few have pointed out making the group stages will take a lot of luck and exceptional performances to negotiate 4 qualifying rounds where most will be unseeded in 3 of those rounds.

Just now, adamntg said:

So, given Fola have lost every single tie they've ever played, the only points they get are for entering?

A bit like your own side in that respect then in that any current co-efficient points against your club are also for entering only.  

I know you only want to take the piss and fair enough it was a rotten result as I keep repeating BUT for all your efforts I'm still going to yet another European game on Thursday night and with a bit of luck and an improved performance I'll maybe get another after that. 

8 hours ago, adamntg said:

My team are beyond pish just now, don't even deserve a mention.

Actually, they do. As do Motherwell, Hibs and over the last few years, Celtic and Rangers.

All these clubs have had constantly humiliating results in Europe that have helped Scotland's co-efficient drop to where it is today. In recent years, I think only Aberdeen and St Johnstone have had results that have improved the co-efficient (maybe a couple of games from Celtic aside).

Aberdeen were beyond awful last Thursday. Pitiful, with no mitigation. We don't deserve to be in the next round and unless there's a massive improvement we'll be out on Thursday even after the first leg.

I realise you're just stirring the pot, that's pretty obvious, but it's a bit rich trying to pick on one single result when in fact the last 20 years in Scottish football in general is littered with similar (or IMHO, even worse) abominations.

To talk about Scottish football's 'worst' result in Europe is the ultimate 'how long is a piece of string' discussion.

Edited by Rossy

11 hours ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Wrong again.

Aberdeen got all the co-efficient points available for the tie by getting through to he next round.

I'm not saying saying that Thursday was not a massively poor and disappointing result but again remind you that we were not knocked out.  Points for winning individual games only happen in the group stages. 

We'll stay in that vicinity of co-efficient points until a few of our clubs make some serious progress on a regular basis. But as a few have pointed out making the group stages will take a lot of luck and exceptional performances to negotiate 4 qualifying rounds where most will be unseeded in 3 of those rounds.

but you did lose 0.25 points for Scotland by not beating them 

I'll reserve judgement on the "worst Scottish result in Europe ever" (although it does seem a bit melodramatic..) however that performance by AFC on Thursday was woeful. If we play like that in the next round we'll get pumped. 

We've done pretty well in the last two seasons in Europe. We've dispathced the minnows comfortably both years, then beat Groningen and Rejika in consecutive seasons. Ultimately losing out to Sociedad (no shame in that) and a very well funded Kairat Almaty (disappointing because we could've done more to win the tie at home). 

I'm hoping Thursday will see a much more impressive performance. 

3 hours ago, Rossy said:

I'm really not, I'm the nicest person out there. :ok:

I just don't suffer fools very well, sorry about that.

Nice ad hominem.  Wouldn't feel the need myself, especially over something as trivial as football, but if you're happy then I'm happy.

On 10/07/2016 at 11:04 AM, Redz said:

Stick to a particular genre of karaoke than comedy ;) 

:lol:  Still trying to get it organised...  fortunately I work with some ladies of that persuasion and discussions are at an advanced stage! 

4 hours ago, Rossy said:

Actually, they do. As do Motherwell, Hibs and over the last few years, Celtic and Rangers.

All these clubs have had constantly humiliating results in Europe that have helped Scotland's co-efficient drop to where it is today. In recent years, I think only Aberdeen and St Johnstone have had results that have improved the co-efficient (maybe a couple of games from Celtic aside).

Aberdeen were beyond awful last Thursday. Pitiful, with no mitigation. We don't deserve to be in the next round and unless there's a massive improvement we'll be out on Thursday even after the first leg.

I realise you're just stirring the pot, that's pretty obvious, but it's a bit rich trying to pick on one single result when in fact the last 20 years in Scottish football in general is littered with similar (or IMHO, even worse) abominations.

To talk about Scottish football's 'worst' result in Europe is the ultimate 'how long is a piece of string' discussion.

Agreed and we'll be having the same conversation for many years to come as long as our first competitive games of the season are European qualifiers.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Rossy is one angry, angry guy.

He's as paranoid as the worst old firm culprits on here.

Have we met ?

I'm just wondering, because you come across on here as a seriously anal trainspotting compulsive with absolutely no sense of humour.

I'm sure in real life you're a nice guy though.