Europa League 2016-17 - Page 12 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 2016-17

14 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

I do laugh when part-time footballers who are office managers, accountants, civil servants, bankers etc are routinely described as putting in "a shift" ahead of playing. You would think all part-time teams are largely made up by miners.

Aye because none of those jobs can be tiring.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

I do laugh when part-time footballers who are office managers, accountants, civil servants, bankers etc are routinely described as putting in "a shift" ahead of playing. You would think all part-time teams are largely made up by miners.

To be fair, regardless what they do from 9-5, it's not likely to be the ideal preparation for a champions league qualifier...

A good kip, nice lunch and some light excercise in a 5 star hotel would be better.

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

To be fair, regardless what they do from 9-5, it's not likely to be the ideal preparation for a champions league qualifier...

A good kip, nice lunch and some light excercise in a 5 star hotel would be better.

Ach, I dunno? Seemed to work OK last night.:lol:

Guest faircity
12 hours ago, EddardStark said:

You are comparing Czech football to a team from Gibraltar? A league where all teams share the same football stadium and some of the players worked a shift on the day of the match before rolling up to the stadium?

No, I wasnt comparing czech football to a team from gibraltar, not even suggesting its of a similar standard. But the rangers line up that night in comparison to a largely unsuccessful team from prague was pretty humiliating id have thought. 

This was pretty much the funniest result of all time. Delighted for the Lincoln RedImps and looking forward to supporting them at Celtic Park next Wednesday (got my tkts!!)

1-0 to the Mighty Imps :)))) 

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Ach, I dunno? Seemed to work OK last night.:lol:

:lol: 

As embarrassing as the result is, you can only laugh. 

Brendans comments are totally bizarre tbh. I'd like to imagine that was for the press and a right going over was had in the changing rooms.

Wallet out time for Celtic in the very near future I imagine.

10 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

well, Celtic's prep would have been the latter. Maybe Leigh Griffiths should have done a "shift" in an office beforehand  - his talents I reckon would be best suited to Corporate Services or IT.

8 hours ago, deecie said:

Sitting at a desk trying to look busy while posting shite on the TAMB is much harder work than a day down the mines.

its the stress of having to potentially switch screens at a split second's notice when someone comes over (or intimates to come over) to your desk/monitor. That is what really takes it out you......

58 minutes ago, dan cake said:

nice interview with Neil Lennon regarding Brendan Rodgers and celtic 

anybody know when and who hibs are playing? 

Get used to it. Wait until the first OF game.

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Get used to it. Wait until the first OF game.

that why hibernian fc shouldnt be employing this whank

"id rather talk about hibs" should be the standard answer 

unfortunately it'll more than likely cost hibs another season in the first div 

but hopefully he'll crash and burn by xmas

1 hour ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Sounds like ticket sales for the game at Pittodrie tonight might be pretty poor.

Hearing that around 8,000 sold...

After the performances of the last couple of weeks, many will be expecting us to lose tonight.

Add to that the fact that it's hardly a big name team, school holibobs, and the that the 'allure' of European football has worn off for for many.....I'm not surprised that the crowd will be under 10K.

8 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

not saying a job may not be mentally tiring. I am saying that  desk job is not putting in a "shift". maybe for you it is; and going to get petrol is an expedition requiring careful preparation and planning.........

How is it not putting in a shift. Does a job have to be physically demanding for that to apply? 

I go home some days from work totally wiped out and drained and just need to crash. Plenty of times I've felt like that and cancelled doing sports in the evening. 

Edited by iainmac1

17 hours ago, deecie said:

Sitting at a desk trying to look busy while posting shite on the TAMB is much harder work than a day down the mines.

Tell me about it.   It's only lunchtime and I'm shattered. 

3 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

How is it not putting in a shift. Does a job have to be physically demanding for that to apply? 

I go home some days from work totally wiped out and drained and just need to crash. Plenty of times I've felt like that and cancelled doing sports in the evening. 

yes, it is by and large the definition of "shift work". But you be sure and not over do it.

4 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

yes, it is by and large the definition of "shift work". But you be sure and not over do it.

My job isn't always physically demanding,but I still go home shattered after,what is the norm 6 days a week on the tools. 

Hard graft and tiring work isn't always physically demanding. 

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

My job isn't always physically demanding,but I still go home shattered after,what is the norm 6 days a week on the tools. 

Hard graft and tiring work isn't always physically demanding. 

in the name of the wee man. I am talking about "shift" work and the type of work one normally associates with doing a "shift". Fair number of folks on here quick to point out how hard they work - me thinks a little over-compensation or over-justification going on here. everyone knows someone who never fails to mention the hours they put in at the office last week..........

49 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

in the name of the wee man. I am talking about "shift" work and the type of work one normally associates with doing a "shift". Fair number of folks on here quick to point out how hard they work - me thinks a little over-compensation or over-justification going on here. everyone knows someone who never fails to mention the hours they put in at the office last week..........

Hours physically in the office?

Hours actually working in the office?

Office hours successfully billed?

Hours paid for being in the office?

You've got to be more specific here.

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

So to you a shift is 12 hours I assume?

Most guys I know that do that are in a rota that gives them days off at a time,generally 10 days every 3 weeks. 

Hardly tiring stuff.