Europa League 2016-17 - Page 19 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 2016-17

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that was fun.

Just back in from the Buducnost Podgorica  v Racing Genk game, which I got dragged to by my Belgian colleague.

Here's what we got for our 3 Euros.

Genk, 2-0 up from the first leg, and featuring the 35 year old Thomas Buffel as their captain, promptly lost a goal in the first minute.

Lost a second goal after 40 minutes.

Had their centre back sent off after 65 for a last man foul.

Survived the rest of the game and extra time having never turned up.

Won the penalty shootout 4-2, with the winning penalty being scored by one Sandy Walsh who is apparently Dutch.

Very entertaining evening, given that I thought we were turning up for a Genk run-through to the next round.

Excellent from the Dons. Cracking results. 

Hibs did well to win that game and hold on. Penalties are a lottery. 

Hearts... that's poor. 

Overall though. Losing to teams from Gibraltar Malta and Luxembourg regardless of when in a season is embarrassing. Regardless of people's thoughts on our position we have far more resources than all these 3 countries put together. 

We really need to move to summer football. Hearts Hibs Celtic and Aberdeen would all have been through IMO without these shock defeats. 

8 minutes ago, Debian said:

We really need to move to summer football. Hearts Hibs Celtic and Aberdeen would all have been through IMO without these shock defeats. 

First thought is, I agree with that.

The problem is, our league season would end in something like November. What would happen if we still had clubs in Europe after that point ?

There's no precedent all that I think of, of clubs coming from a summer league and then doing well in Europe. Maybe the Ukrainians.....do they have a summer league ?

Fact is, we're in a vicious circle that we'll never get out of unless our clubs actually start winning games.

Edited by Rossy

10 hours ago, dandydunn said:

A Scottish team beat brondby over 90 minutes. 

10 hours ago, Rossy said:

In the last 2 years a Scottish team has knocked out a Dutch team and a Croatian side who were in the Champions League the season before. 

10 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Keeper was unlucky with the 1st and was very close to others. 

Fine margins. Good effort though :(

Fair do's - so long as you boys are comfortable with our teams losing to the European heavyweights of Lux, Gib and Malta

Edited by scot scotland scottish

4 minutes ago, Rossy said:

First thought is, I agree with that.

The problem is, our league season would end in something like November. What would happen if we still had clubs in Europe after that point ?

There's no precedent all that I think of, of clubs coming from a summer league and then doing well in Europe. Maybe the Ukrainians.....do they have a summer league ?

Fact is, we're in a vicious circle that we'll never get out of unless our clubs actually start winning games.

Ukrainians and Russians both shut down for long periods over winter. Hasn't stopped the likes of Zenit and Shakhtar reaching Europan finals over recent years, possibly some other side too which I can't think of at moment. Then are helped by having mega millions to throw at players though so it's not s direct comparison.

Our season is effectively 10 months - August to May. Switch to mid Feb to mid November and the only impact, if there actually is anyone still in Europe, is possibly last 2 group games which tend to be end of Nov, early Dec. By the time your season starts you are probably hitting the knockout stages of European competitions starting up. If we are still consistently relevant at that point then we probably aren't playing as many ties at start of competition.

As you said, we need to start winning games to break the circle of playing early games. But we would be better prepped if these games were mid season instead of preseason.

8 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Well that was fun.

Just back in from the Buducnost Podgorica  v Racing Genk game, which I got dragged to by my Belgian colleague.

Genk, 2-0 up from the first leg, and featuring the 35 year old Thomas Buffel as their captain, promptly lost a goal in the first minute.

Won the penalty shootout 4-2, with the winning penalty being scored by one Sandy Walsh who is apparently Dutch.

Very entertaining evening, given that I thought we were turning up for a Genk run-through to the next round.

3 Euros, you were robbed

Shambles from Hearts against what was a pretty poor team. Lots of fans calling for Neilsons head after what has been a very poor 6 months for him. 

Had more than enough chances to win several games but too many players trying to walk the ball into the net. 

If anyone wants to take Buaben and Juanma off our hands it would be much appreciated. 

2 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Fair do's - so long as you boys are comfortable with our teams losing to the European heavyweights of Lux, Gib and Malta

I don't remember any team from Gibraltar or Luxembourg knocking out any Scottish team.

Still, feel free to talk down anything semi-decent that a Scottish team has done, that'll improve things.

10 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Well that was fun.

I put a tenner on genk to win the shoot out 4-2 at 8/1. :)

I also put the same on Partizan Belgrade. :(

Rope a dope at Tynecastle last night. Hearts thought they came away from Malta with a good result, but failed to see the Birkirkara players celebrating the 0-0. Birkirkara always fancied their chances of a goal, particularly when they saw how conservative Neilson was in his tactics and that half of the Hearts players   dont look match fit.  We created plenty of chances but in the end probably deserved to lose to a poor side that out thought and out fought us. 

European football is all about scoring away from home and conversely, not conceding at home.

Scottish football is still mired in the mindset of the 1970's, where we think a 0-0 away from home means that we've done 90% of the work.

To McInnes's credit, I think Aberdeen have scored in every single away game we've played under him, aside from in Luxembourg bizarrely.

Edit : Oh, and in San Sebastian. But they were a good side, I'll forgive Aberdeen for that.

Edited by Rossy

23 minutes ago, Rossy said:

European football is all about scoring away from home and conversely, not conceding at home.

Scottish football is still mired in the mindset of the 1970's, where we think a 0-0 away from home means that we've done 90% of the work.

Said pretty much that in the pub before the game last night. I thought we would probably still scrape through as they really aren't very good, but the risk of an away goal was always there from the off. Too few within the game in Scotland seem to have grasped this.

2 hours ago, deecie said:

I don't remember any team from Gibraltar or Luxembourg knocking out any Scottish team Only said they had lost - not been knocked out

Still, feel free to talk down anything semi-decent that a Scottish team has done never knocked anything down, only spoke of losses to teams from Gib, Lux and Malta, that'll improve things. Feel free to stick you head in the sand then. I for one think its alarming, and I go back to my original point. How can a country of 5 million or so with football its number one sport be losing to these sides

28 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

In a 2 legged match, only the overall result counts. It's clearly not ideal losing in LUX/GIB, but if you get through, who cares?

Hearts result was poor, the other 3 teams did fine this week, sorry that this doesn't fit your nonsense agenda.

44 minutes ago, deecie said:

In a 2 legged match, only the overall result counts. It's clearly not ideal losing in LUX/GIB, but if you get through, who cares? Granted, only the overall result counts at the end of the day- so you're right there. But to ignore losses to sides from Lux, Gib and Malta as if they didn't happen might not be the best idea. But this is a first - Scottish teams have lost to some pretty poor opposition in Europe in recent years, but never against sides ranked as lowly as these sides

Hearts result was poor, the other 3 teams did fine this week, sorry that this doesn't fit your nonsense agenda. ??? "nonsense agenda" ??