Europa League 2016-17 - Page 23 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 2016-17

Good solid performance from the Dons last night as posted earlier we could have had the tie finished off with chances created and a bit sharper in front of goal.

Well impressed  with Stockley he is a right handful he will cause teams a lot of problems, apart from going 1 down Taylor being brushed aside (again?) we got our goal which was least we deserved.

I was a bit dubious also when Stockley and Shinnie were subbed . Players gave everything however can't fault that, Shay Logan take a bow what a performance, still in it COYR.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Impressed by Aberdeen tonight.  Looked a good team and I think they can win in the away leg if they play with the same pace and aggression. 

As with Rangers and Celtic from what I've seen so far, could do with a good Centre Half. If nobody signs one it might make the league a bit more interesting. 

It's the Scottish problem though, isn't it ?

Good centre-halfs are like hen's teeth. There isn't a good one in the Scottish game, and as we've seen with the international side we can't even scrape one up at international level.

It's a worry.

31 minutes ago, Rossy said:

and as we've seen with the international side we can't even scrape one up at international level.

A friend of mines remarked watching Wales during the Euros that he believes that is actually the biggest difference between us and them, rather than us not having someone like Bale.

I think there's very likely a lot of truth in that.

2 hours ago, Rossy said:

It's the Scottish problem though, isn't it ?

Good centre-halfs are like hen's teeth. There isn't a good one in the Scottish game, and as we've seen with the international side we can't even scrape one up at international level.

It's a worry.

It's odd though. We used to have hunners of decent centre halfs and now the best we can manage is Grant Hanley FFS! 

Where have they all gone? Or is it just the modern game that means we're just not developing them?

I stopped youth football coaching about 5 years ago and at that point it was decent full backs that most teams were struggling for. Makes you wonder.

Anyway, back to the actual subject. I think Aberdeen can win this, assuming they convert some of multitude of chances they create. Can definitely see a challenge again this year from the Dons in the league, assuming they play at that kind of standard regularly. Still to really see what Rangers can do as they've not had to sweat in any of their League Cup games so far.

55 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It's odd though. We used to have hunners of decent centre halfs and now the best we can manage is Grant Hanley FFS! 

Where have they all gone? Or is it just the modern game that means we're just not developing them?

I stopped youth football coaching about 5 years ago and at that point it was decent full backs that most teams were struggling for. Makes you wonder.

Anyway, back to the actual subject. I think Aberdeen can win this, assuming they convert some of multitude of chances they create. Can definitely see a challenge again this year from the Dons in the league, assuming they play at that kind of standard regularly. Still to really see what Rangers can do as they've not had to sweat in any of their League Cup games so far.

Seems like a lifetime ago that we had Miller, McLeish, Hegarty, Narey and Hansen available to us....all at the same time.

:(

47 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Or even Hendry, Calderwood, Boyd, Dailly and Weir...

44 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I'd take Stephen Mcnanus at his peak!

:lol:

I see the two of you have started the weekend early.... :beer2:

On 29/07/2016 at 11:09 AM, RenfrewBlue said:

I don't think it's something that is affecting us only either.

In European football these days there really is a shortage of top class centre backs. Most if not all of the really top ones are at the end of their careers and there aren't many out there in their early 20's that you could easily pick out and say they will be stars.

Even with an ad-blocker,  the popups are horrendous!   FFS.    Got round it by casting to a chromecast and going full screen.  

On the bright side;  enjoying how we're talking about the Sevco's Sister in the Europa League thread :ok:

Just now, OLAS said:

Glad I put the Celtic TV commentary back on :lol:

1-1 - 30 yarder.    

There wasn't any.

:lol:

Scraping their jaws off the floor.

Not sure Craig Gordon had to do his Neur impression, nice finish though!

Quite surprised when I realised McManus was the commentator. He's avoided using us or we so far.

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

Quite surprised when I realised McManus was the commentator. He's avoided using us or we so far.

McManus has been decent so far. Much better than his muppet commentator who doesn't know that an injured no longer has to go off when a yellow or red card is given.

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

McManus has been decent so far. Much better than his muppet commentator who doesn't know that an injured no longer has to go off when a yellow or red card is given.

He did go along with it mind you.

Seen red cards for those. (Elbow, not the getting rules wrong)