Europa League 2016-17 - Page 29 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 2016-17

There's been plenty criticism of Aberdeen in this thread, for not taking their chances etc.

I think Scottish Football has overplayed the plucky loser card, but on this occasion, you can't fail to acknowledge that Aberdeen were pretty unlucky.

1-0 up against 10 men, it would've really put them in the driving seat.

Compare that to Celtic who were pretty lucky. A last minute penalty to see them through.

Although I do think you make your own luck to an extent, and I felt towards the end of the game they had a look of a team resigned to defeat.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlueGaz
1 hour ago, Zander_14 said:

If you watched the game, then your only really in a position to judge the performance, which then would reflect on 'the state' of the Scottish game.

I won't judge the state of the Scottish game on a good performance here and there. I will judge the state of the Scottish game on what we achieve outwith our week-in-week-out league and cups.  Generally speaking the standard of football in our league and  cups is, IMO, ok at best.  Yes, we do have the odd awesome performance, and seen a few last year, but generally speaking its not a high quality.

I can only judge where we are by our top clubs ability in the European competitions and our national squads ability to qualify for their 2 x tournaments.  Scottish football as a whole is not in a good place at the moment, regardless of the fact Aberdeen look fit.  

Guest BlueGaz
17 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It's the same for the national team.

Loads of pundits and ex players on the TV, radio and the papers with an "aww, at least we gave it a go." message, and laughing at our own pathetic failures.

Or else always pretending that "there was something to be proud about from that performance" and "there's a real positive air about the squad right now", how many fecking times have we heard all that pish ? 

Typical losers mentality.

I can understand trying to remain positive as much as possible, but realistically, agree with you.  

18 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

There's been plenty criticism of Aberdeen in this thread, for not taking their chances etc.

I think Scottish Football has overplayed the plucky loser card, but on this occasion, you can't fail to acknowledge that Aberdeen were pretty unlucky.

Compare that to Celtic who were pretty lucky. A last minute penalty to see them through.

Although I do think you make your own luck to an extent, and I felt towards the end of the game they had a look of a team resigned to defeat.

We had 10 men and were fecking knackered! Even at that, shinnie tracking back and winning the ball in stoppage time (for the og) is hardly indicative of a team "resigned to defeat". You've said this multiple times now, with no substance to back up your point. 

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We had 10 men and were fecking knackered! Even at that, shinnie tracking back and winning the ball in stoppage time (for the og) is hardly indicative of a team "resigned to defeat". You've said this multiple times now, with no substance to back up your point. 

I think Aberdeen have been defeatist for many years now.

20 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Not sure how much you saw of the Celtic game but I don't consider us lucky at all to have won that tie.

Aberdeen were robbed by an incompetent referee and the failure to take the massive opportunity that the penalty presented imo

27 minutes ago, Parklife said:

There was a lot of throwing arms in the air and shaking of heads, which while understandable was a bit defeatist looking. I saw the 1st half, and even what I saw of the 2nd the ref was terrible, but in my opinion, instead of rolling their collective sleeves up and playing the game, they were feeling a bit sorry for themselves.

I only saw the last 10 minutes of the second half, so perhaps an unfair representation of what had gone on since half time.

The reason I repeated it was to emphasise that their had been criticism of the Dons in this thread. They should've taken their chances. Scottish teams are notoriously bad at chasing in Europe against a side trying to defend a lead (of sorts).

32 minutes ago, slasher said:

Not sure how much you saw of the Celtic game but I don't consider us lucky at all to have won that tie.

Aberdeen were robbed by an incompetent referee and the failure to take the massive opportunity that the penalty presented imo

Not lucky to have won, but their was an element of luck in how the victory ultimately came about.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Loads of pundits and ex players on the TV, radio and the papers with an "aww, at least we gave it a go." message, and laughing at our own pathetic failures.

Or else always pretending that "there was something to be proud about from that performance" and "there's a real positive air about the squad right now", how many fecking times have we heard all that pish ? 

when did scotland last "give it a go"?

42 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

There was a lot of throwing arms in the air and shaking of heads, which while understandable was a bit defeatist looking. I saw the 1st half, and even what I saw of the 2nd the ref was terrible, but in my opinion, instead of rolling their collective sleeves up and playing the game, they were feeling a bit sorry for themselves.

I only saw the last 10 minutes of the second half, so perhaps an unfair representation of what had gone on since half time.

The reason I repeated it was to emphasise that their had been criticism of the Dons in this thread. They should've taken their chances. Scottish teams are notoriously bad at chasing in Europe against a side trying to defend a lead (of sorts).

With all due respect, I think you're talking complete rubbish. 

1 hour ago, BlueGaz said:

I think Aberdeen have been defeatist for many years now.

I'd take being defeatist for eternity over letting my team die like your club's fans did. :ok: 

19 minutes ago, slasher said:

I watched both Celtic games and think they were a bit unlucky not to have won the tie more comfortably.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

This attitude is not just exclusive to fitba'. Our entire nation has been worn down to pieces. Too wee, too poor. It's why we lost the referendum. 

42 minutes ago, Parklife said:

With all due respect, I think you're talking complete rubbish. 

I think some people are easily confused.

They're getting 'frustrated that we played well but didn't win', mixed up with 'defeatist'.

I mean, what the f*ck are we supposed to do ? Go into Neil Lennon mode and jump up and down stamping our feet complaining that the referee was pish and we demand to have the game replayed ? Or do we say 'that was enormously frustrating because we should have won both ties because the team played really well, but sometimes in football bad things happen' ?

All I've seen from Dons fans on here is the second explanation.

Other peiople must have really special glasses though, and they see something else.... :lol:

I don't think us Aberdeen fans just accept things.

I know plenty who have questioned Derek McInnes on occasion and rightly so. 

I would also say that regarding Europe most I know were disappointed last year to go out to a team we felt we had a real chance against - same this season. Neither ties were gimmes and on both occasions we were not the seeded side. 

There has to be a measure of realism too. That is not defeatist - it is accepting facts. 

Same can be applied in the transfer market where Celtic cannot compete against Bournemouth for players, a team whose stadium holds less than a 5th of Celtic's. Is that defeatist? Or is it applying common sense and acknowledging that there are other relevant factors which affect this?

Coming out with bullshit about teams and fans accepting defeat is garbage. Everyone wants their team whether it be club or the national side to do much better but simply shouting about it on a forum is not going to change things and some of the things which would need to change are outwith our (Scottish football's) control e.g. no TV company is suddenly going to pay us 10% of what they get down south to at least give us a sporting chance of narrowing the gap by having better players, coaches and facilities at all levels of the game.

Guest BlueGaz
50 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'd take being defeatist for eternity over letting my team die like your club's fans did. :ok: 

hahaha.  You have missed Rangers.  Now they are back, you will be able to raise your game, so you may lose that attitude this season.  

34 minutes ago, Rossy said:

They're getting 'frustrated that we played well but didn't win', mixed up with 'defeatist'.

I mean, what the f*ck are we supposed to do ? Go into Neil Lennon mode and jump up and down stamping our feet complaining that the referee was pish and we demand to have the game replayed ? Or do we say 'that was enormously frustrating because we should have won both ties because the team played really well, but sometimes in football bad things happen' ?

Other peiople must have really special glasses though, and they see something else.... :lol:

I'm not talking about the fans. I agree with you on that, and defended your lot against that accusation.

What I'm talking about is the body language of the players in the last 10 minutes of the game. They looked like they'd already decided it wasn't to be their night.

It doesn't seem others agree, but that's how I saw it.

54 minutes ago, Ormond said:

This attitude is not just exclusive to fitba'. Our entire nation has been worn down to pieces. Too wee, too poor. It's why we lost the referendum. 

We can thank the Daily Record, the BBC and friends for that awful "och, whit are we like, we just weren't good enough but it was a good laugh all the same !" attitude too many have.

To show I'm not all doom and gloom merchant about Scottish sport, the proof that we can produce first class sportsmen and women is there. Look at Andy Murray, Chris Hoy, Heather Stanning and Katherine Grainger for example. 

55 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Go on, it would be funny if youse did though :lol:

#JusticeFirTheDandies

50 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I'm not talking about the fans. I agree with you on that, and defended your lot against that accusation.

What I'm talking about is the body language of the players in the last 10 minutes of the game. They looked like they'd already decided it wasn't to be their night.

It doesn't seem others agree, but that's how I saw it.

Or maybe they were just a bit knackered, playing with 10 men away from home in 30 degree heat and having to force the game ?

Just hazarding a guess like.