Slovakia - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Slovakia

Brassrubber

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

I've thought for a while now that Slovakia will finish above us in our WC group. :(

Well they are second seeds so it's not that risky a bet really.

Watched the game on German TV. A very young experimental team, and terrible conditions. The 2nd half was delayed due to a torrential downpour. I wouldn't read too much into the result...

32 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think Slovakia are better than people think. Also, Germany are worse than people think. 

Agreed. Slovakia seem to consistently qualify for major tournaments at the moment, so they must be doing something right. The only thing is that their better players are ageing. Germany aren't great - they dropped three points to Poland and four to Ireland in the qualifiers and we should've got a draw with them in Dortmund. I can see them flopping - although they tend to do well in the Finals, regardless of how good they are prior to it.

9 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Agreed. Slovakia seem to consistently qualify for major tournaments at the moment, so they must be doing something right. The only thing is that their better players are ageing. Germany aren't great - they dropped three points to Poland and four to Ireland in the qualifiers and we should've got a draw with them in Dortmund. I can see them flopping - although they tend to do well in the Finals, regardless of how good they are prior to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Germany win it. This is what they do. Shyte to mediocre in the build up then gradually improve to be almost unstoppable during the tournaments. One thing they are excellent at, is getting the timing right.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we only take 1 point off Slovakia in the next campaign.

On 29. 5. 2016 at 1:05 AM, Clyde1998 said:

Agreed. Slovakia seem to consistently qualify for major tournaments at the moment, so they must be doing something right.

They've only qualified for the WC once (in 2010), and will make their debut at the Euro's in a few weeks.

23 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Germany win it. This is what they do. Shyte to mediocre in the build up then gradually improve to be almost unstoppable during the tournaments. One thing they are excellent at, is getting the timing right.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we only take 1 point off Slovakia in the next campaign.

Germany are always the opposite of England in that respects.

Dominate the qualifying and friendlies but choke in the tournaments.

J

Repeating this kind of thing a lot these days but some people just don't get it. Why are people thinking that we have a good chance against the 2nd seed just because they're a 'small country'? If we'd got Italy as 2nd seeds the same people would be fearing them.

Just because they have Slov or Slav or any other kind of 'pishy wee country crap' in their name doesn't mean they're cannon fodder. This isn't 1976. It really is the remnants of an arrogant British attitude to the rest of the world (as is this EU referendum...).

The Germans in the previous two qualifying campaigns before this one had only dropped 2 points out of a possible 60 and that was 4-4 draw at home to Sweden.

In fact in 3 campaigns (WC 2010, EURO 2012 & WC 2014) they won 27 of 30 matches with 3 draws.

Massive turn in form to this qualifying.

Edited by bossman4

3 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Germany are always the opposite of England in that respects.

Dominate the qualifying and friendlies but choke in the tournaments.

J

I presume you've written the teams the wrong way round there?

3 hours ago, thewelk said:

Just because they have Slov or Slav or any other kind of 'pishy wee country crap' in their name doesn't mean they're cannon fodder. This isn't 1976.

I take your point although it's maybe a poor choice of year as that's when a majority Slovak team became European champions ;)

11 hours ago, bossman4 said:

The Germans in the previous two qualifying campaigns before this one had only dropped 2 points out of a possible 60 and that was 4-4 draw at home to Sweden.

In fact in 3 campaigns (WC 2010, EURO 2012 & WC 2014) they won 27 of 30 matches with 3 draws.

Massive turn in form to this qualifying.

And they were 4-0 up on Sweden too before conceding 4

12 hours ago, thewelk said:

Repeating this kind of thing a lot these days but some people just don't get it. Why are people thinking that we have a good chance against the 2nd seed just because they're a 'small country'? If we'd got Italy as 2nd seeds the same people would be fearing them.

Just because they have Slov or Slav or any other kind of 'pishy wee country crap' in their name doesn't mean they're cannon fodder. This isn't 1976. It really is the remnants of an arrogant British attitude to the rest of the world (as is this EU referendum...).

A very good post. Agree with the second point especially. :ok:

Some people still grossly overestimate the abilities of our players.

The truth is that (the keepers excluded) most of our players are mediocre. Sorry, but they are ! I can even remember posters on here at the start of the last campaign saying Brown, Maloney, Naismith and Steven Fletcher were good enough for the top Premiership teams. We really do delude ourselves sometimes.

The Slovakian fans are probably laughing at the quality of players we have. Aye, they'll really be trembling at the thought of Fletcher and Naismith up front for us.

On 31/05/2016 at 7:21 AM, wubbs said:

They've only qualified for the WC once (in 2010), and will make their debut at the Euro's in a few weeks.

You're right. I'd thought they'd qualified more than that, tbh.

Eitherway, they're qualifying more than we are...

Slovakia are a good example for us to follow tbh. Similar sized country, they've produced great players in the past, had club and international successes in Europe (albeit under the Czechoslovak umbrella), struggled with a domestic league that is eclipsed by larger neighbours. But probably the most galling comparison though is that fitba isn't their number one sport, it's ice hockey...

Edited by Toepoke

On 31 May 2016 at 10:33 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

The Slovakian fans are probably laughing at the quality of players we have. Aye, they'll really be trembling at the thought of Fletcher and Naismith up front for us.

Not saying I disagree with the gist of your post, but cannae say I'm aware of who plays up front for Slovakia either!!

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Not saying I disagree with the gist of your post, but cannae say I'm aware of who plays up front for Slovakia either!!

I wasn't saying that they wouldn't know who Fletcher or Naismith are, I was saying that they will look at their international record and with strong justification believe that there is little to be worried about. 

2 hours ago, Marky said:

I don't know who plays up front for us either. Fletcher is worse than a man short.

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't know who plays up front for us either. Fletcher is worse than a man short.

A quality first rate striker whom we are lucky to have according to some on here.:lol:

Whatever it is they're seeing, I aint.